Jails / Prisons : Marcus Dixon is freed from prison!!!

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Marcus Dixon, the black football player, who was sentenced to prison for 10 years for having sex with a 15 year white girl is out of jail. The Supreme Court of Georgia reversed his sentence, declaring him guilty of only statutory rape (not aggrevated child molestation). Dixon had already served 15 months in prison, thus he had served the time for the new conviction, which was 1 year. Dixon and his accuser had dated in high school, and the sex between the two was voluntary. However, his former girlfriend later accused him of rape when her father found out about their relationship. Since Dixon was 18 at the time, he was guilty of statutory rape.

Racial politics aside, I think this case is an example of why the statutory rape law needs to be re-examined. In general I agree with the concept of statutory rape. Indeed it is necessary to protect our children from sexual predators. However what we had in this case was a High School Senior dating a Freshman, which is pretty common (my sister-in law was a freshman when my brother was a senior). I think the exact age gap has to be explored when determining whether a person committed statutory rape. Under the current law a 19 year sleeping with a 17 year old is committing statutory rape; a 18 year with a 16 year old, etc. These people should not be going to jail for this, they are still kids themselves. Good concept...bad execution.

P.S. Here is a link to an article about Marcus Dixon's release from prison:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...otrib/rulingsetsyouthfreeinraciallytingedcase

There was obviously racism in this case: This situation took place in a mostly white town. A black boy charged with having sex with a white girl (not just having sex, but taking her virginity as well). The girl's father was an advertised racist, who wanted justice for his daughter being "deflowered" by a black man. Dixon was found innocent of committing outright rape, but was given the maximum under the only "crime" he could be accused of statutory rape & child molestation. It was existing law (a law I think is flawed), which allowed this young man to be railroaded. Again this case is a perfect example of why statutory rape should be re-examined and better defined.

The age for statutory rape should be raised to 21, 18 is ridiculously low. I know of 20 year old high school students (usually kids enrolled in special education programs). Who do you think these kids will date? More than likely they will date other high school students, who will be younger than themselves. I say after 18 the age gap between the people involved should be considered, but a mandatory statutory rape charge should not be considered until 21 years of age.

Once Again I attest to brother Pan - You took the words right out of my mouth. In this case it was definetly racism, but I also notice in other races including our own that their is this sexual predator label which is thrown around too much. Your are considered a child molester or a sexual predator technically if you have consuental sex with a teenager, I think this is absurd.

The problem with American Society is that Teenagers have no accountability and responsibility. I think these teens know what they are doing and should be held in equal accountability with the consensting adult.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back