Black People : Marc Lamont Hill Responds To Critics Over Lupita 'Fetish' Controversy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by shaka64, Apr 28, 2014.

1. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
  2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    First off, ole boy was TOTALLY over-matched! :lol: Those sistas really cleaned his clock!

That said, I was totally OFFENDED :mad: by his use of the term, fetish, to explain the popularity of the poised, intelligent, friendly, approachable, well-spoken and accomplished, Oscar-winning actress who has done her homework on her art and craft. His use of the word marginalizes Lupita, and IMO, it was intentional. It is a deliberate attempt to "minimalize" the sista as both a professional and a black female (not "female," but "black female"). And he does it by coming up with some :bs: about "white people" fetishizing her when it is he and not whites, who lay that ugly word on this charming sista.

What really struck me, however, was his reference to (obviously) off-camera conversations he's had with other blacks in the business, and that the 2 sistahs have blogged about. Namely, that Lupita is NOT a mulatto-looking, weave-wearing, skin bleacher, thus by white AND BLACK standards, she's un-attractive.

A minute while I pull up a post I wrote YESTERDAY (lol) about the EXACT same thing! :lol:

OK, I'm back. Based on that video, the senior thug who tried to sideswipe me later in the parking lot because I cleaned her clock about Lupita:

Might this be why he denies Lupita her rightful "star" status and puts her popularity down to being an ignoble "fetish?"

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
  4. Charles IKS

Charles IKS Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +154
    First off they did not clean ish. All she spewed was a bunch of hyper-emotional feminist gibberish. Is Gina McCauley's and women like her self-esteem so low, that they will blindly accept ANY "compliment" from the racist elite media to sooth their sensitive emotions. If you listen to the way the media describes her you would think they are talking about some exotic pet. They do fetishize her just like some animal in a zoo. Actually it's done on purpose, to make you american black women feel less black. Have you noticed that hollywood never celebrated a black women's "africaness" and actually discouraged it, then comes Lupita comes along and all of a sudden, they make you think that they are embracing it. Don't you think that is a little odd and out of character for the racist white media?

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    /
    Yes, they did. :)

Quote the "feminist gibberish." Dare ya. Quote ONE thing either said that could in any way be considered "feminist."

Can't, can ya? ;)

I'm sorry, but what the freak are you talking about? :confused:

Oh, and "quote" the comment from the "racist elite media" you're referring to. :)

Please copy and paste a description said in the video that makes you feel this way.

Please! Quote a description from the media that describes Lupita like "some exotic pet." I don't keep up with the sista. You obviously do.... which is why you come in here spitting bullets and smoking from the ears like an enraged expert. Enlighten us with QUOTES!
    :huh: "You American black women?" What are you and who are you to be so contemptuous of black American femininity?

You are aware that your sentence is a contradiction within itself.... aren't you? :11200:

Btw, I listened to 2 minutes of that trite video before being bored out of my skull. If you've got something to say, say it. This is a MB not a TV show. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  6. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    I don't understand this argument, so I will only listen

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I'm not understanding this. Feel less black and more ... white?

8. Charles IKS

Charles IKS Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +154
    http://diallokenyatta.tumblr.com/

Diallo's Conspiracy Corner:

The White Elite saw that the Black community was embracing our African heritage and natural beauty, so they are trying to get out ahead of, direct, and profit from the movement while removing any Revolutionary potential from the Pro-African Natural reawakening.

Just like they did when the masses of Blacks started wearing Afros, Black Leather, and African symbols in the 60s and 70s; all of a sudden Hollywood had Sisters in Afros kicking *** all over the big screen, they had Bad Mofos in Black leather taking on Da Man in every movie house from Watts to Red Hook.

So instead of people thinking of Assata Shakur when they sported an Afro, they were thinking about Pam Grier, instead of thinking of Fred Hampton when they donned their leather jackets their minds went to Shaft.

Whites were the first people on the planet to weaponize propaganda, and they have mastered it.

We love to imagine that we are being entertained when we are actually being attacked.

There's a larger agenda behind this Lubita craze, now they saying Nicki Minaj has gone natural.

They agenda is this: before a Revolutionary Sister can hit the mainstream to encourage Black women to be both natural and warriors for Pan-Afrianism, they will already have their watered down mascot for acceptable Black Beauty in place.

We should be hip to this **** by now.

(Note: We as a people, as a Race had better realize that Whites, the Western Culture is always in some stage of War, peace in the Western Mentality is just a time to prepare for War. There is nothing that is to ever be taken at face value. You don't rule the world and survive after committing genocide on every populated landmass on the face of the earth without weaponizing every aspect of your culture, if you are blind to the attacks, or chose to not see them, they you are both an accomplice and a victim of this Omnicidal System.)

[Or, I could be wrong, and it just took White folks a bout 1400 years to realize how beautiful Black truly is and they are just trying to make up for lost time with Lupita. Yeah, that could be it.] Diallo Kenyatta — with Rio Drama and Helping Africa.

9. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    Ok...
    Here is what I think I'm understanding from this...

After the many segments praising Lupita for her many attributes, this question to the comedian about his feelings that the media, namely white media, maybe hopping on the bandwagon with the popularity for many attributes of the word fetish in a way of ownage of a fantasy... while the comedian says that Lupita in control of her image is ensuring her control over it...

If this is wrong, correct it... and please explain the female backlash to this...

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    What does any of the above have to do with whites "fetishizing" Lupita.... who is NOBODY'S Assatta Shakur, :mad: of whom 99% of black people have never even HEARD, in the first place (I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am.... but I was under the impression that Lupita has a white boyfriend :rolleyes: )!

No, what I'm seeing is that BLACK men - and hopefully, only the most mean-spirited of African-American men who feel a dark-skinned woman being LIONIZED (as opposed to "fetishized") in the mass media is an affront to their fantasy pale-skinned woman - feel threatened that a non-mulatto-looking, non-weave-wearing, non-bleaching, beautifully dark-skinned African woman is found pleasing by people WORLD-WIDE.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014