Black Entertainment : Mandingo

I saw this movie for the 1st time last night. Quite frankly I was very disturbed by it. Have any of y'all seen this movie and if you can you explain why and how it got made in the 70's?

BTW: I could have lived without seeing a completely naked Debbie Morgan!
Is this the one with Ken Norton in Mandingo?

Mandingo Movie Review Summary:
Richard Fleischer directed this lurid historical drama based on the novel by Kyle Onstott. The story begins on a run-down plantation lorded over by Warren Maxwell (James Mason) and his son Hammond (Perry King). Hammond travels to New Orleans where he buys a top-of-the-line slave, Mede (Ken Norton), at an auction. Hammond is proud of his purchase, hoping to bring in money by training Mede to fight his other slaves. Hammond returns with Mede to the plantation, where he has to contend with his sex-crazed wife Blanche (Susan George). Hammond looks upon Blanche as damaged goods since he discovered her to not be a virgin on their wedding night. Instead, Hammond prefers erotic pursuits with his slave Ellen (Brenda Sykes). Blanche licks her lips at the sight of Mede, and seduces him to get revenge on her husband. Blanche soon becomes pregnant and gives birth to a half-black baby. Enraged, Hammond comes after Blanche, poisons her, and then the child bleed to death before going after Mede.
mandingo.jpg

That's it!
There's a second part to the "Mandingo" movie AND the SEQUEL is called "Drum" and Ken Norton in this one also.

Drum Mandingo Sequel Review Summary:
It is hard to get more deliriously fever-pitched than the ending of Mandingo -- in which a plantation master is shot and his main slave gets boiled in oil -- but Drum (Mandingo's mangy sequel) certainly tries. Hammond Maxwell (Warren Oates), the late slave-owner's son (from Mandingo), is trying to follow in his father's footsteps and purchases Drum (Ken Norton) and Blaise (Yaphet Kotto) from bordello hostess Marianna (Isela Vega). Marianna is actually Drum's mother, although her lesbian lover Rachel (Paula Kelly) in fact brought up the boy. Thrown into the package to Hammond is Drum's girlfriend Regine (Pam Grier), who was purchased to satisfy the carnal urges of Mr. Hammond. However, Augusta Chauvet (Fiona Lewis), setting her sites on Hammond, has other plans. Drum is such a perfect specimen of slave that neither men nor women can keep their hands off of him. Drum looks stoic until a climactic slave revolt breaks out, guaranteeing more blood and carnage than Mandingo could ever hope to provide.

cover.w200.jpg

I saw this movie for the 1st time last night. Quite frankly I was very disturbed by it. Have any of y'all seen this movie and if you can you explain why and how it got made in the 70's?

BTW: I could have lived without seeing a completely naked Debbie Morgan!

Peace and Blessings Sister,

I remember seeing this movie years ago, and have seen a few excerpts online since. It just does something to me, to see this kind of stuff now ... whew Lawd ... anywho ... i don't have the answers to your questions ... but here's a few excerpts for the Family to watch.

Powerful Scene from Mandingo - Black on Black Crime

Mandingo - Susan George Going Beserk

Mandingo - Ending

Great topic Sister ... thanks for starting it!

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back