Omowale Jabali : Mandela

Discussion in 'Omowale Jabali' started by Omowale Jabali, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I read where one poster here referred to Nelson Mandela as a sell out and another claims he dumped his wife as soon as he was released from prison. One is an opinion the other is a lie and gross distortion of fact. In his divorce proceedings he accused his wife of adultery and I believe this was six years after his release from prison.

Was Nelson Mandela a sell out? That remains a matter of opinion. To most South Africans he will best be remembered as a man of integrity and the Father of the Nation.

2. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    He did what he was able to do. I wish him well.
    I do wish he could have done a bit more. At minimal change the flag and the name of that nation.

3. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Maybe in the end he was overmatched. I don't know how many "sell-outs" spent 27 years in jail.

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Not exactly overmatched. He did what he thought best and served one term as President. Mandela used his leverage to set up numerous cultural and educational foundations. He did more than his part for African liberation.

5. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    IDK. How could he not be overmatched in an apartheid laced environment? How much could he accomplish? Like you said he did what he could, I believe that.

Despite how all this ends up IMO Nelson Mandela's contributions both directly and indirectly, should never be overlooked or undermined.

Thanks for the post.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

I would say overwhelmed but not overmatched because he and his party out maneuvered the Boers and the White Nationalists. The international campaign against apartheid effectively used Mandela as a figurehead and economic sanctions forced the nationalists to crack. The release of Mandela and others, the unbanning of what was left of the ANC and others, these actually came earlier than any realized. My Dad passed the same year Mandela was released and he had told me one time I would not live to see the end of apartheid in South Africa. It's the one thing he told me that I can say he was wrong about, and that might be the only thing.

I too was at one time thinking Mandela sold us out, but then I started researching closer the events leading to his divorce with sister Winnie.

Mandela was a smart dude. He got out of politics with a relatively clean record, and the only people with any dirt against him are his ex wives and the girls that he fathered but never developed much of a bond with him.

I'm more of a Steve Biko "ideologue", but got no beef with Nelson Mandela. It has been a long, but not easy walk to freedom.

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Message from The Nelson Mandela Foundation, The Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund and The Mandela Rhodes Foundation

http://www.nelsonmandela.org

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Editor's Note: Watch the Nelson Mandela memorial from 4 a.m. to 8 a.m. ET Tuesday on CNN International. Dozens of heads of state, including Presidents Zuma, Obama and Castro, will be there with thousands of South Africans at the 90,000 seat FNB Stadium in Johannesburg.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/world/africa/nelson-mandela-memorial/

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    The ritual significance of Mandela's funeral service:

The service was held on Sunday, Dec. 15th which is a fixed date on the ancient Egyptian calendar.

The time of the burial was planned at a time when the Sun was at its highest position which means the shadow of the casket would be "enlarged" to its fullest extant, but at its "shortest" position.

The sacrificing of the cow or ox is related to a funerary custom of his Thembu Elders which can be traced to a Kemetic brotherhood with identical tradition.

This is followed by a 72 day mourning period which is also an ancient Kemetic tradition.

The leopard-skin is representative of the Kopje culture, an early clan group related to the Black Leopard society and the brotherhood I mentioned earlier. The same holds true for the ANC flag and yellow garments worn by many of his mourners and supporters.

10. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Nelson Mandela's casket was draped in a lion skin, an ox was ritually slaughtered and a family elder kept talking to the body's spirit: The state funeral for South Africa's anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela on Sunday included these rituals from the tradition of the Xhosa tribe, to whom Mandela's Thembu clan belongs.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=21226178&ref=https://www.google.com/

There are some errors in the article but it gives an idea of the ritual significance of the burial service.