Black Sports : Mamie (Peanut) Johnson, the only female pitcher in the history of the Negro Leagues, watches Mo’ne D

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by shaka64, Aug 26, 2014.

1. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-world-series-article-1.1905448#ixzz3BQ3r0l4U

Mamie Johnson is 78 years old and six decades removed from her three years as the only female pitcher in the history of the Negro Leagues. From 1953 to 1955, she pitched for the Indianapolis Clowns, her teammates including a young shortstop named Henry Aaron. The Clowns found her by chance when she was pitching in a park near her home in northeast Washington, signed her up and paid her $500 a month to barnstorm around the country in Jim Crow America, never eating in a restaurant or staying in a “white” hotel, but hearing plenty of slurs.
    new-york-mets.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

A very good find, truly a golden nugget to see those two together. I'll be consolidating this information for the viewers of my Thread on Mo' ne ...

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
  4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    For balance...

9780803726611[1].jpg

http://www.directtextbook.com/isbn/9780142400722

For two seasons as a member of the Clowns, Johnson was a teammate of future home run leader Hank Aaron. She also credits her pitching success to a lesson she learned from “Satchel” Paige who taught Johnson to throw her curve ball. “He just showed me how to grip the ball to keep from throwing my arm away, ‘cause I was so little.”

[​IMG]

When she was 17 years old, Ms. Johnson was rejected as a team member by the White Female Baseball League. This unfair treatment and prejudice became her own victory. She proclaimed, "If I had played with white girls, I would have been just another player, but now I am somebody who has done something that no other woman has done." The Women’s Professional Baseball League had inspired the movie “A League of Their Own.”

http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/mamie-peanut-johnson-strong-right-arm

Living history is something we should always appreciate

5. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Mo'ne Davis participating in NBA All-Star Celebrity Game

February 5, 2015

[​IMG]

Mo'ne Davis became a national sensation on the baseball diamond at last summer's Little League World Series. However, in subsequent interviews, she's insisted her true love is basketball, with her dream being to play for Connecticut in college.

Though the Philadelphia native is just an eighth-grader — who has already made her varsity high school basketball team — Davis will get an early chance to show her skills on the hardwood in front of a large audience. Davis will participate in this year's NBA All-Star Celebrity Game, taking place at Madison Square Garden on Feb. 13 at 7 p.m.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-participating-in-nba-all-star-celebrity-game

She wants to be a Husky!!???

uconn-basketball-logo1[1].jpg

Such a bright and intelligent young lady

Will be watching to see what UConn's future prospect looks like
    :D

6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Mo'ne Davis puts move on Kevin Hart in NBA All-Star Celebrity Game