Black People : MALCOLM X: RACE RELATIONS IN CRISIS

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Al D, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Al D

Al D We become that which we repeatedly do.. PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Malcolm X, Alan Morrison, Wyatt Tee Walker and James Farmer participate in an open round debate on the PBS show "Open Mind". Original air date: June 12, 1963.
    This was an open forum discussion back in 1963 and here we are in 2016 some 53 years later talk'in bout the same old mess. Now why is that? Could it be that we are still looking towards the white elected politicians to make the changes that they have failed to implement for over 50 years? It appears that a change in strategy and tactic needs to be made....Your thoughts..

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    New era...New century...And do have our right to back new leaders in 2016 too...

3. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    What do suggest will help move
    us foward again??

4. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I'm from an older generation, however I do remember that we had our people that had established a bit of fame, success and notoriety who utilized their positions as celebrities and the such as platforms and leverage to speak out against the oppression, discrimination, injustices, racism,segregation etc... I don't see any of that happening today with any type of consistency and sustainability. You had all types of actors, athletes, musicians, entrepreneurs that galvanized themselves and put themselves out on front street to effect change...That in my humble opinion is a good place to start....There aren't enough out there..... Most only show up for a photo op....That's it...

5. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    All we have to do is remember what Malcolm X said, i.e. "Of all of our studies, history is best qualified to reward all research. And when you see that you have problems, all you have to do is examine the historic method used all over the world, by others who had problems similar to yours. And when you see how they got theirs straight, then you know how you can get yours straight". Hint, he also said "there is no such thing as a non-violent revolution". The Last Poets said "N****** are scared of revolution"! There you have it in a nutshell! Smile

6. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Brother Malcolm said many things some of which he changed his views on. However, the task that lies ahead is not only to challenge and change the system with a high level of consistency but to also maintain sustainability....

7. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +3,224
    Most of our celebrities want to "crossover" more than anything. They only show up for Kumbaya stuff.

Also, the leaders we had were killed or neutralized in other ways. Even Dr. King, who preached nonviolence. Not too many people are willing to pay the price they paid. Some people expected Obama to put his life on the line....

8. sekou kasimu

sekou kasimu PanAfrikanist Revolutionary MEMBER

United States
    Retired Ironworker
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +864
    That's one way of looking at it. However I respectfully disagree! On February 21, 1965, the day Malcolm X was brutally murdered in front of his wife and children, Malcolm X was going to deliver the Program of the Organization of Afro-American Unity (OAAU). A program of action he co-authored with the late Dr. John Henrik Clarke. According to said program, his basic ideology, Black Nationalism, had not changed. E.g., The OAAU membership was closed to non-Afrikans. Failing to discredit him or his Black Nationalist philosophy, integrationist negros, and their European allies tried to co-opt him, and portray him as an integrationist. Even going so far as to put his picture on a postage stamp, which I doubt he would have approved of. Commenting on experiences he had in Mecca, i.e. observations,, does not constitute a change in his views. What did he change his views on?

9. Al D

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    During his pilgrimage to Mecca he had witnessed something that he had never seen before which was people ( Muslims ) of all color shades coming together and that he had experienced a unity of human brotherhood. This softened his views somewhat about white people in which he answered a reporters question as to whether or not he had altered his views on whites and blacks working together in which he replied that it could be possible if the white man in America converted to Islam...
    During his debate at the Oxford Union he went further to state that he would be willing to join with anyone regardless of color as long as they wanted they wanted to change the miserable condition that existed on earth. ( Something which he strongly opposed at an earlier period ).

In January of 1965 he agreed to meet at the house of Juanita Poitier with members of other Civil Rights organizations where he had discussed his philosophies and some of his mistakes in the hopes of them being able to leave there with a common platform in an effort to address and change the condition of Africans in America. ( Something which he was strongly oppose to before ) MLK Jr. did not attend but he sent a representative

He also met with the group Students of Non-Violence Coordinating Committee and spoke in Selma, Alabama for the first time in which he strongly urged the audience to listen to what MLK Jr. was saying to them and to give him whatever he needed to continue.
    The formation of the OAAU was a political organization predicated on the constitution of the OAU which illustrated the parallel between Africans and African Americans and did not require it members to be a Muslim which again was in strong contrast to his earlier views. Malcolm didn't care what their religious affiliation was, if they had one or not. Religion was not spoken about...The purpose behind this was a strategic move that would have allowed them acceptance into the UN as an NGO ( Non Government Organization ) so that they would have an office there...I guess you could invoke the phrase ( By any means necessary ) here...Some would argue that it is a compromise of ones belief, I do not support that.. I refer to it as growth...
    He had also changed his views and personal feelings about Elijah Muhammed and the Nation of Islam albeit they were very much warranted and justified based on the information that has been provided that speaks of an adversarial climate between them....

This by no means diminishes brother Malcolm X in any way shape or form which is not the intention....It merely points out that our most staunched beliefs can change and that we can move a little bit towards center for the greater good but all the while bearing in mind that we still hold dear ( By Any Means Necessary ). Violence not being the only means...I would love for this brother to be alive today so that I could join him and be at his side in the effort to bring about African Nationalism

• Respectful Respectful x 1
    • List
  10. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    This month we give props to our peoples past leader: And also consider our own present day options...