Black People : Malcolm X and the white press..

Who knows? He is not here to answer the question so the best any of us can do is speculate. Only a few of us here were in the Nation at the time and only a few of us have any memory of the conflict within the Nation.

What I do know is that Brother Malcolm did not have to go to the media at the time. His profile was high so the media came to him. He often spoke at the white left militant Labor forums and after the shooting at the Mosque in Los Angeles he broke his silence on a number of issues, so I think a more correct question would be why did he break his silence to the media? The answer to this question is matter of record.

Rumors and speculation aside, the police shooting at the Los Angeles Mosque is what changed brother Malcolm's actions in regards to speaking to the white media. He personally was enraged because of the lack of response by the NOI leadership. The police busted in on a service and shot up the joint. I remember this because I was there. Most of the members at the LA Mosque were recruited by Brother Malcolm, including my step-sister and her husband, Brother Bobby (Morehead), who was a local Minister. This is when Brother Malcolm started questioning the do nothing approach and response to attacks against the membership. This much has been recorded by his cousin who was part of the LA Mosque leadership, Hakim Jamal.

The interesting thing about this is that some members in the LA NOI used to stay strapped. My step dad got my family in trouble because of this. He stayed strapped. Always was riding with shotguns and rifles. He was not the only one and brother Malcolm knew that after the shooting at the Mosque that if he did not speak out he would lose his membership. A few years later it would be the same base which would become his first OAAU charter members in Los Angeles, including my Mom.

peace

Let's also remember though that El-Hajj was quiet and held his tongue for a long time about the messenger's mistresses as he was asked to do by the messenger. Also, when he made the "chickens coming home to roost" statement, it was not the first time he said it. The only thing different when he said it the 2nd time was "chickens coming home to roost never made me sad, it only made me glad". So when he received word of his suspension thru Capain Yu'sef when he said it the second time, it was natural for El-hajj to feel as if he was really silenced because the messenger was worried about him talking about the children he was having with his young secretaries....

malcolm-1.jpg

Also, there were many ex-NOI in the O.A.A.U who wanted to exact punishment on Elijah and some of his top Lt's. It was El -Hajj who said "NO" and still was PHYSICALLY protecting the messenger even though he knew his suspension would never be lifted! Thus, adhering to the Holy Qu'ran when it says "never be the aggressor, for Allah hates agression"......

He was approached a few times by the heads of the Orthodox community and offered 5 million to start his own movement which Warith Deen (elijah's son) would gladly accept later, and turned the nation inside out, that which Malcolm turned down.

rsz_malcolmx-flyer.jpg

So if we look at the full picture, El-Hajj could have done a lot more damage than just talking to some "white people" if he truly was out to hurt the messenger.

Dr. Clark said in "A great and Mighty Walk":

"Here's a man who had just turned down 5 Million dollars to start his own movement and he turned to me and said swine eater let me buy you a cup of coffee".....

Malcolm was still more of a friend to Elijah Muhammad, than elijah muhammad would turn out to be to malcolm - Dr. John henrik Clark

Much truth stated.

My step-sister was a NOI secretary and my family fell out because the leadership wanted to ship here out to the Phoenix mansion but my family said no. Those rumors were indeed fact concerning what was going on. One night the devils came and firebombed our house. My bedroom was hit along with the front of the house. After that my step dad literally fortified the home. So here is the thing. Brother Malcolm personally knew families such as mine who came under attack from within so he could not just lay low and quietly work things out from within. As I stated, he was losing leadership as well as his own street credibility the longer he was silent. Damned if you do damned if you don't. But he sacrificed knowing he would become ostracized because that is how much he loved his people.

Why did Malcolm go to white folks over what was happening between him and
Elijah Muhammad? What did he think that would do?

This is clearly after his pilgrimage to Mecca (April 12, 1964 -May 21, 1964). Malcolm failed his 40 days and 40 nights initiation. He fell to the temptations and illusions of grandeur from these white muslims. They changed his whole view on white folk and made him believe that he had never been exposed to "true muslims". Post pilgrimage malcolm was not the same person. The nation realized his failure and did not want to associate themselves with him, so the only people left to associate himself with was white folk.

This is clearly after his pilgrimage to Mecca (April 12, 1964 -May 21, 1964). Malcolm failed his 40 days and 40 nights initiation. He fell to the temptations and illusions of grandeur from these white muslims. They changed his whole view on white folk and made him believe that he had never been exposed to "true muslims". Post pilgrimage malcolm was not the same person. The nation realized his failure and did not want to associate themselves with him, so the only people left to associate himself with was white folk.

I don't know where you get this from. The only people left to associate himself with was white folk?

Absolutely false. He made contacts globally witha wide number of African political activists abroad. He was free to associate with the most militant and revolutionary Black people on the planet.

He created two organizations while the NOI lost an entire generation.

As far as those white Muslims are concerned you are forgetting people such as Nkrumah, Azikiwe,Sekou Toure, the Muslim Students Association in Nigeria. International Black Muslims.

peace

Malcolm failed his 40 days and 40 nights initiation. He fell to the temptations and illusions of grandeur from these white muslims.
- would Keino be so kind as too explain this?

The nation realized his failure and did not want to associate themselves with him, so the only people left to associate himself with was white folk.
- I take it you're not too familiar with the truth of the situation. This sounds like you just read an article in newsweek in a library on microphesh.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back