Science and Technology : MacOS - vs- Windows

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by WisdomSeed, Jun 5, 2001.

1. WisdomSeed

WisdomSeed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, I am a MacAddict, eventhough my Mac is old and not able to run the new OS X(ten) that just came out I am able to compare OS9.1 vs Windows 95& ME because I use all three.

The biggest difference is the shell, that the GUI sits on. Windows sits on DOS or a virtual DOS. MAC GUI, is built directly into the OS, whic gives you a little more control than does Windows.

Drive nams are a very little issue, but on Mac, you can name your drives, while on Windows, they are named for you and you are not able to change them.
    One thing that gets on my nerves about Win, is that when you put a CD in, if it does not auto start a program, you have to go into "My computer" and double click on the drive to find it. When ever you put a disk in a Mac, it automatically appears on the desktop, which makes transferring files from a disc to the drive a little simpler.

more as I feel the need.

2. YellowLime

YellowLime Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I've used MACs since way back when they werent popular-you know, when it was hard for you to buy the software for it. I'm a MAC freak-I now own a Powerbook and only use PC's when at work. In my opinion, a mac is just a better and easier to use machine.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    Apple is moving to Intel chips next year.
    it's all going to be moot.

4. dexxtreme

dexxtreme Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    The whole draw about Mac's is focused on the features and stability of the operating system, not the hardware. The OS is very stable. Granted, that is because of the limited hardware it needs to support (less of a chance of the miscellaneous driver conflicts that exist in the Windows world), however it will still be just as stable when the CPU's are changed from PowerPC to Intel. Just about the only thing about the OS that will be changing is the compiler.

5. Ellacott

Ellacott Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    They now have a Mini Mac. It retails for $499. I am considering purchasing this one.

6. YellowLime

YellowLime Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    The chips won't change the user interface, right? That's one of the reasons that I only use Mac--plus they are just so **** cute-kidding...but not really

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    naw; the user interface is just a program written to run on the chips. there might be some need to code some bits a bit different, but it won't much change the way you access the puter .... unless apple decides to change the user interface for some reason. (GUI - graphical user interface)