Black People : LYIN' TO KICK IT?......

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by spicybrown, Mar 15, 2006.

1. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Upon netsurfing I've bumped into some astonishing "facts" about people. Now, usually, I'm not the one to stir up mess...lol, but why is it that poeple on the internet exaggerate their lifestyle to others who may never see them in this lifetime. If you are all of that-post a cool pic. If you are a baller- post your bank statement......along with your PIN code...lol. If you are a loving, doting father-post some recent pix of you and your chirrens. The concept of keepin' it real seems obsolete:yawn:

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Don't forget sometimes keeping it real goes wrong...............all comes down to Show and Prove............the internet does make it easy to be all you can be though without being yourself......gotta put that on the list of things I don't like about the net.....

Red

3. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I always tell the truth. Its the things I leave out that could get me caught up!

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I would say if the person is an in environment where they feel they can tell the truth, they'll do so. If they are communicating with a group where they feel they have to impress, then they'll withhold the truth or lie.

5. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think it comes down to self confidence I put myself out there regardless of who I'm around or whatever.....as long as I'm truthful to myself and my life experience that's all that matters but if folk aren't as confident in themselves they may feel the need to impress those they are around .

MississippiRed
    Alpha-Dog

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    this has always been the avenue for people to be more then what they are
    i always say i have nothing to prove , nothing to impress , no reason to lie
    i am just another brutha in a struggle , it's hard to believe what you read on
    the net !
    People will be people and stick there chest out .........

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Everybody has a fish tale just don't insult my intelligence...

Peace....

8. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    It's good you feel that way.

However, others may decide to suppress opinions, facts about their life, etc. if it looks like it's going to cause more problems than its worth. And some may even take the route of lying. In the case of the former, I don't consider it being a matter of a lack of self-confidence, nor misleading; one does not have to know everything about one's life if it's going to be used against them later. It's just a matter of the person not feeling like having to justify themselves all the time. And as for lying.. well, it's definitely not ethical, especially if there is a plan to take things offline.

I would say that if an online environment advocates something that is in line with a person's lifestyle, beliefs, etc. then people would be less likely to lie because the "need to impress" factor wouldn't be there. It it only does it partially, then people would probably suppress or worse lie. I think this could even be applied to one-on-one situations, like online dating. For example, a woman would be less tempted to lie about her weight if the man she was talking to said he's looking for women who weigh whatever she ways. Or a man would be less tempted to lie to a woman if she said she didn't care about his income.

9. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    That's so true!

10. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Very true. This is why I think Destee has tried to create an environment here where everyone, who feels they can contribute to uplifting Blacks, can contribute.

The problem crops up when other intolerant posters take it upon themselves to refuse contributions from certain contributors simply because they don't like them or their lifestyle.

Even if a person's contribution is refused, it doesn't make that person any less Black and any less the target of racism. For ex. I wouldn't doubt that: there are homosexual men and women and bi-sexual posters here pretending to be hetereosexual just so they can contribute. Likewise, there are Black conservatives here pretending to be something else, just so they can contribute. There are Biracials and people in IR's here pretending to be exclusively Black just so they can contribute. There are obese people here pretending to be small just so they can contribute. There are "talented tenth" people here who are pretending to be something else just so they can contribute. There are those who live in lily-white 'burbs who claim they live elsewhere just so they can contribute. There are non-Black people here pretending to be Black just so they can contribute, etc.

Obviously, this can only happen in an online community because we can't see each other. In real life, some of these people are equally shunned, so they don't contribute. We all lose when we cannot accept each other and welcome each others' contributions.

Why do people need to LIE in order to comfortably contribute?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of these Black people could just be who they naturally are. They might then be more willing to contribute more to uplift all of us.