Black Sports : Low Scoring Games

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by oceolo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Why do some people act as if two teams in a basketball game dont each score atleast 100 points that it isnt an exciting game? Game seven of the eastern conference finals between the Pistons and Heat was a 88-82 game and it was definitely an exciting game. The difference between 100 points and 88 points is a few more field goals and a some free throws,so how can 100 points be that more exciting 88? I think the media propagates this false notion that more points equal more excitement. I would much rather see a block shot than an uncontested layup.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    There is a fine line between great defense and poor offense. I think it is relative. To me a game in the 80s isn't low scoring anyway. What is a low scoring game is the high 60s, low 70s that the Knicks were famous for in the 1990s. A low scoring Finals like the 1994 Knicks-Rockets series is boring....it really depends what you like: Great Defense or Great Offense.

3. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I agree. I love great defense which forces the great players to create shots in order for them to score. I believe some of the greatest Michael Jordan scores came because he created shots due to great defense from the other team. Hell, that's how we knew he was great. They did everything within the rules to stop the man and still yet he found a way to score. That's exciting basketball...the stuff you get from players unexpectedly.

You can also add to that great teamwork. To see the teams working together to outpoint another team who has a great defense is a beautiful thing. The game becomes elevated...taken to the next level. I think the Pistons/Spurs series will be an example of this.

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree. For instance, the Indiana Pacers this year had low scoring games, because they flat out couldn't score. The Phoenix Suns had high scoring games because they play no defense. The San Antonio Spurs force low scoring games because they play such great defense, but they also score a lot on offense. Sometimes a team is forced to shoot from the parimeter the entire game because of the other teams defense. I don't think a game with no defense and tons of offense, is a good game. I think it's playground basketball. I enjoy watching teams play defense because that makes the game fun and exciting. How do you ever know if a player is really good if he never gets tested by the other teams defense?

It's no mistake that 3 of the last 4 teams in the playoffs, were in the top 5 in defense as far as opponents field goal percentage. The other team was purely offense, but could not even get close to beating the best defensive team.