Black Short Stories : Loving Jasmine Pt. 1

epiphany

REGISTERED MEMBER
When Jesse first saw Jasmine. She was a breath of fresh air, confident she stood up on stage reciting her poetry with the ease of a professional entertainer. Her lyrics flowed like a melodic symphony as she acted out her words with the movement of her hands and body. He was hooked the first night he saw her perform. Jasmine Mau was a regular at Lyrical Rhythm, a club in East Manchester County where up and coming spoken word artist display their talent for a chance to make it big on the spoken word circuit. Often talent scouts would visit the club to recruit the most talented artist to join their cross country tours.

Jessie was enamored with her, she had an exotic appearance. Long, jet black hair that was pulled back into braid that flowed down her back. Her eyes were dark and slanted slightly with the longest eyelashes he had ever seen. She was small in stature, about five feet. But what he loved most was her complexion, she was honey brown with a light golden tint that made it appear as if the sun shined at all times on her skin, she was flawless. He had not seen a woman so beautiful in some time, since that first night he would come to the club every Wednesday to see her do her thing.
Tonight he decided to find the courage to ask her out.

As he sat at the bar playing his approach over and over in his head, the bartender Nell notice he was in deep thought.
"Hey Jesse, how long are you gonna come here gawking at Jasmine from afar?"
Jesse snapped out of his inner thoughts and looked at Nell.
"I didn't notice you paying attention, Nell."
"How could I not. man. You've been here every Wednesday night, sitting in the same seat, at exactly the time she comes on stage, for the last three months. Either you're a stalker or you have got one hell of a jones for that girl!
She laughed so loud other patrons turned and looked.

"Alright man, you've made me, do you have to alert the whole club?"
Jesse turned slowly and faced the bar gritting on Nell.
Nell...an obvious lesbian, with her short cropped haircut and masculine apparel left little to surmise.
She put her hands up apologetically.
"Sorry Man, my fault. I didn't mean to embarrass you. I have to agree tho she is a sweet piece of
aaaaa....." Nell caught herself as she saw Jesse's reaction.
She backed off and change the subject.
"Ahhhhhhhh, what can I get you to drink, Jess?
"I'll have a gin and tonic on the rocks, Nell."
"Sure thing, but I have to tell you about Jasmine, man. She doesn't come without a few issues."
"What do you mean?"
He listened as Nell filled him in.

She told him her Mother was Asian and her Father is African American. She was born in Taiwan. Her Father, a married military colonel left them not long after she was born. When she was eight her Mother brought her to America to try and find her Father, in the process of trying to survive on the streets her Mother got involved with a pimp who eventually killed her. Jasmine was put in a foster home and shuffled around until she was eighteen.
"Wow, a sad story. Does she have a man in her life, now?" Jessie inquired.
"Naaaah, noone ever sticks around long enough to deal with her mess, man!" Nell exclaimed.
"What about her Father?"

"She never found him, she tried, but to no avail." Nell said.
An obvious questioned entered Jesse's mind and he peered at Nell.
"How do you know so much, Nell? Have you and she.....?
"Hell no, shes not my type! I like em with a lil mo meat."
She patronized Jesse, Nell could never get anywhere with Jasmine she was strictly heterosexual and made no bones about it, each time Nell approached her. The last attempt Jasmine threatened Nell and told her if she wants to remain friends to keep her distance. So Nell complied.

"We just became good friends in passing, we hung out a few times. She's a nice girl, she's just very serious she had a tough life."
"I see....ohhhhh, sh.."
Jesse turned towards the stage as the crowd applauded the finale of Jasmine's performance.
"I missed it......Dayum!" He said. He watched her as she made her way down the steps of the stage and approached the bar, sitting down beside him. He had never been this close to her, his heart fluttered and his palms became sweaty. All the words he practiced became stuck in his throat, he didn't know what to say. He just stared at her.
"Nell give me a shot of Puerto Rican rum, please." She asked.
He could still hear a faint whisper of her Taiwanese accent as the words rolled from her lips.
No woman had ever made him feel like this before, he had a few relationships in the past.
He lived with a woman, Lenora, for four years. Even she didn't make him feel this way.

He was going to marry Lenora, until he came home and found her in bed with his best friend, Tage. The affair had went on for a year under his nose before that afternoon. He quickly got over it because Lenora was more convenience than a relationship. Their parents were childhood friends and played matchmaker bringing them together, sure he was attracted to Lenora and he loved her, but he wasn't in love with her. After that relationship he went thru several meaningless flings until he decided it was time to take a break.....until now.

The words choked trying to come up, as hello made an attempt to spill out of his lips...
She slowly turned to notice him staring at her.
"Is there a problem?"
Jesse stood there gasping.....
"What's wrong? Cat got your tongue!" She spoke again.
Nell couldn't take it anymore...she interceded.
"Jasmine, this is Jesse Wilkins..he's been admiring you're act for three months now."
"Oh I see, Hi Jesse, I'm flattered. I'm glad you like it, come back again.....please."
As a reply began to flow from his mouth. The MC called Jasmine for a encore performance,
the crowd cheered as she smiled and made her way on stage. She walked up to the mic....
The crowd became silent as Jasmine spoke.

"This is a love poem...I wrote...its called, The Next Great Love Song:

Can we,
spend rainy afternoons
lying alone, naked
no disguises, no compromise
vulnerable & candid
just conversating soul II soul
Can we love?
so deeply, so real
the beauty of a single night
lingers in the touch of our caress
Can we dream
of forever tomorrows
as each prophetic kiss
hint of desires to come
Can we confess
infernal passion that ignites
fires so hot, that we die
only to be reborn from the ashes
Can we role play
star-crossed lovers
in our own romantic tale
ending in eternal bliss
Can we create euphony
with the beat of our hearts
pulsating euphoric tempos
can we exist
you
&
I
enlace in cosmic rhythms
that attains
to an
orgasmic plateau
higher
&
higher
until the universe
trembles
in our wake
Can we
be the
prodigy
of the next great love song
Can we, my love?
Can we?​

The crowd was silent for a moment as they took in the substance of the poem and then broke out in a barrage of finger snapping and applause.
"Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! The crowd cried in unison.
Jasmine bowed honorably and walked off stage.
"The crowd loves her." Nell said. Clapping too.
" She is a very talented poet. The poem was beautifully written and performed." Jessie agreed.
He watched as she she walked out the door and into the night, he had blown his first chance to make an impression and he hated himself for it. He looked at Nell.
She could see the disappointment in his eyes and she tried to console him with encouraging words.
"Hey Jess, its not the end of the world, you'll get another chance....I'm sure of it!"
"Yeah, well maybe.....see you next Wednesday, Nell."
"Alright...Goodnight."

Later that night as he laid in bed all the words he could have said played perfectly in his head, he visualized the conversation as he would have wanted it to be. Laughing and Jasmine enjoying his company while they shared similarities and aspirations. he drifted off to sleep with a content smile on his face.

The alarm clock blasted him from his dreamlike state, he almost fell out of his bed searching for the clock, hitting the off switch he got up and sat at the edge of the bed.....it was five am. His mind still replaying the failed attempt last night. No one has ever had him tongue-tied, he was totally embarrassed. He heard Nell's words, He had to gather up the courage to do it again, this time things would be different.

epiphany:heart:
(c)2007