Black People : Love and Honor for ALL Dads

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by vj57, Jun 2, 2004.

1. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    My father is in his 80th year and I pray that he's around many more.

I know there are many black children who grew up without a father due to some neglecting their obligations (we won't elaborate no further on them...anyone can be a sperm donor, but it takes a special man to be called DAD).

My dad does not come out and say "I love you", but it's obvious that he does. It shows in the way he cared for a wife who was a homemaker for over 30 years until she died. We never went to bed hungry, cold or sick. And we had the BEST of things in life.

Father's Day is very special to me and with my father's age and health problems, I'm grateful for each one we have, for I know one day that he may not be here. My dad is failing but he doesn't say much to us about it. I saw his medical papers and it said "chronic renal failure". I know that he's not eating right and has a wife with a brain the size of a mustard seed. Well, that was HIS choice to marry this dumb woman.

When I come around, I check on him and make sure he's well. The last time I was with him, it was after my surgery. I made sure he was taken to his appointment and the poor man was going to head to the wrong location. I took time to read his orders and got him to his place. Also, he wasn't up to the paper work. I keep telling my siblings that someone should go to the doctor with him but nobody's listening.

I cannot do it because it's a 200 mile trip for me. For my siblings, it will only take them less than 30 minutes.

For those of us who have fathers, let's honor and love these men, not just Father's Day but every day. From time to time I would send my dad money and when I visited, made sure he had food.

These are times I wish my mother was still alive for the QUEEN took good care of her KING. My dad was a strong, robust man even after he had a heart attack 23 years ago. His physique would put men in their 20s and 30s to shame. The girls I graduated with said that I had a hunk of a dad.

Now, he's frail. But he's not senile and enjoys telling my son about how to treat the women (smile). And since my son is getting ready to shave, he wants his grandfather to have the honor of tutoring him in shaving (smile).

My daughter adores him. She is always in touch with him and he still refers to her as "his baby". The bond of love between grandfather and granddaughter is strong. She has the old man wrapped around her fingers.

Some of us had stepfathers who were REAL DADS. Let's honor those men, too. Stepfathers were the "men on the spot" when the bio-dads walked away. In reality, my dad has been more of a father to my children.

Let's not forget those uncles who stepped in. My kids were blessed with uncles who loved and spoiled them. Two paternal uncles took good care of my son, spending time with him and helping with school needs.

How can I forget my son's mentors (our pastor, ministers, and a wonderful tutor) who taught him the true meaning of being a man. The tutor does not have any children, but he took a lot of time out with my son, helping him with his lessons and even helping out when I had to spend a few days in the hospital when my son was only 12.

For all the guys in here who are Dads, have a Happy Father's Day. You are special men in your children's lives. And I salute you...even though it's a little early.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    vj57, I truly enjoyed reading this. Thank you so much for startig this thread. My dad passed on 2 years ago and I miss him a lot. You never really forget those that you love. An aroma, a particular food, a joke--all can trigger a fond memory.

I want to add my sentiments to yours and wish all men who are not just fathers but also dad's and mentors of our youth...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Queenie :heart:

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'd like to wish a Happy Father's Day to my Father & all the Fathers on Destee.com!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this was on point and great to the many true DAD's
    i honor and give thanks to the man who walked me
    cross the bridge into manhood and to be a man a Father
    in his memories happy father day Dad ....
    And to all the FATHERS here in the community with blessings

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Ah yes, honoring daddy everyday, not just "Father's Day". :)

6. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Another thread maybe.