Black Poetry : Louisiana Plantation

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Desert Storm, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Desert Storm

Desert Storm Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    On a plantation far far away

Lived a white man and woman, beautiful house maid and family

Through years of service, they could see

How much she longed to be free

One day the white mans wife died

And him and the maid went on to live their own life.

Their names were Francis and Drusilla

They grew three children in Rodessa, Louisiana

All mullato children favoring their european ancestry.

All with pale skin and two with blue eyes and a few curls that flowed in the

humid wind

Till one day that white man died, and that maid died

And lost connection of family.

Those great people are my family history

Leaving behind generations of color to be reminded be others of their ethnicity

in Shreveport, Louisiana where once waived the confederate flag

Five years ago reunited an old white couple from Shreveport, Louisiana came to see

The other side of their family.

It was that one day, when it all started

On a louisiana plantation in the south

Still a people created out of a need for love

Will survive the others who struggled to be proud

DS

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i see u droppin it on da real ......DS

3. Jazzytude

Jazzytude Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    STORIES

Well my grand mother told me about one story like that but in the scheme of things that is a mili drop in the bucket...OK!

I also know of mulatos who refuse to be called black and or associate with ...so again all that in the scheme of things has not made the black family as a whole better in my opinion...

IT TRUELY IS ABOUT GETTING BACK TO BLACK IF YOU HAVE EVEN AN OUNCE OF LOVE FOR YOUR BLACKNESS YOU WOULD OVERSTAND THAT!!!!!!

It baffles me when people believe that just cuz they can mix up freely means it is ok...all that mixing during and after slavery has not made louisiana or this world as a whole stop exploiting Africa or the blacks here in america!

SO DO YOU AND I WILL DO ME ...WHICH IS GETTING BACK TO BLACK FOR AS FAR AS I CAN SEE...ALL I WANT TO SEE IS MY BLACKNESS!!!...

AS ALWAYS PEACE AND BLESSINGS!!!

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Did he and he maid really make that choice?...or did she as a subordinate to their will and service and physical reality...what we now call rape, give in to the only thing she knew to do?

5. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Oh the tales our ancestors could tell, of struggle, of survival, they could teach us a thing or two. Always good to read you Desert Storm.

6. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    feeling your (our) story

right out on the frontlines

thank you for sharing your story

7. PLATINUMILLITY1

PLATINUMILLITY1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full Time Student and Independant Buisness Owner
    Ratings:
    +38
    A truth peace Desert Storm
    Wonderful write
    Even now not many people know their origins
    that is a gift DS
    Continue on...and I am glad you shared your 'Ancestric' Past with us
    Much Love
    :10200:

8. Desert Storm

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    Rich, thanks for stopping through, long time no see.

Hey, Jazzy, Sup?

No disrespect to you, but this world isn't just made up of black people, it is not just made up of white people, or latin people, or asian people. Love is about embracing cultural differences, which is the point of this poem. I like you have not always felt the warm fuzzies for the "other" side. However, I do acknowledge that it a part of american history, mines and yours, and choose to learn about it and be open to anyone who wants to learn as well. Newsflash, we don't live in a black world. Also, living in a black world will not erase life problems, it definately won't erase hate, politics, or sexism, and poverty.

#2 Jazzy, if you were to see me, you probably woulndn't appreciate my blackness any way or even see it. I probably would never be black enough for you and will not try to be! Thanks for your feedback, I enjoy this discussion.
    #3 I'M BLACK AND IM PROUD! I will never have to prove that to you or anyone else. Nor will I try. I will only try to be the best that I can as a PERSON while I'm living on this earth. Also, if you haven't learned by now, just because someone is black doesn't mean that they are going to love you for who you are. If they do it's great, if they don't, they don't. And some people will never appreciate who you are.
    Peace
    DS

Keita- I found out over the holidays that I have white family in Shreveport, Louisiana. My Papa grew up seeing white relatives from his mulato grandpa Jeff. My papa stays in contact with them. My papa is from Texarkana. He recalls asking his mom why was he seeing all those white folk with grandpa Jeff. It turns out that those were grandpa Jeff's brothers and sisters. I asked my Papa bout the relationship of the maid and the white slaver owner. He said they had a relationship with eachother and that by the time they had kids, slavery had been abolished. Thanks, for stopping through.

Watzinaname- Yeah, history is surprising! That's for sure. Thanks for stopping through

So'ja-Thanks for stopping through
    Platinum-Thanks for showing tha love!

DS

9. Desert Storm

United States
    Ratings:
    +31
    My Conclusions

I would like to state my conclusions about this poem as I was reflecting on it and why I wrote it in the first place

My purpose for writing this poem was sincerely and 100% because I was pretty surprised to have found out this part of my family history and to find so much information about it from my Papa.

The features that run on my dads side as well as including my own features includes: hazel eyes, red hair, auburn hair, freckles, fair skin, green eyes, blue eyes, dirty blonde hair, and hair textures from wavy to kinky. That makes up most of my dad's side of the family. My quest for finding out my family history besides the history that's on my mother side of the family comes from questions from others that I don't know the answers to and seeing these features in my family and not knowing where they came from.

The history on my mothers side is a little more resolute and don't have so many strands as my dads side.

Growing up in California I have pretty much been posed with the question all of my life about what I am mixed with, not just from WHITES, & LATINOS but my BLACKS as well.

I had a friend of mine try to tell me that I wasn't related to my cousin because we didn't look anything alike and other brothaz and sistahs point out the fact that I have mixed blood, like I didn't know. I didn't even find out that I had spanish in me until I was 12 yrs old. That was after being bombarded by the latino community and almost forced to learn Spanish out of necessity and wanting to help other people.

The last reason I wrote this poem was because my Papa and Grandma was contacted through a mutual relative by our white cousin in Shreveport, LA to meet his black relatives, which he did. My grandparents went to Shreveport met the man and his wife, were shown the gravesites of the white man and black maid and some other people as well as given documentation on who these people were. My grandpa was raised in Arkansas and has maintained a cordial relationship with his cousin for the past five years.

That is something significant that I didn't know and found interesting. That is the reason why I wrote this poem. I definately could have used some different wording and not made it sound so corny or glamourous. I DO APOLOGIZE TO anyone who may have misinterpreted this poem or got offended in any. So when I look at my BLACKNESS, so to speak, and the BLACKNESS of my family, I see a variety of features and I appreciate them ALL.

I am also becoming increasingly Aware, that growing up in CALIFORNIA, has been a different black experience for me than some others may be used to growing up with. THAT is the main reason I enjoy different people, foods, and cultures because that has been what I've been exposed to and that is CALIFORNIA CULTURE.

ALWAYS PEACE, LOVE, AND HAPPINESS TO ALL.

Desert Storm

10. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    A Lioness and Her PRIDE

Lioness SO PROUD

BIG EASY heritage

Allow SHE to be FREE

BLACK on heartbreak ridge :10200: