Black People : Lou Rawls Succumbs at 70

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Fine1952, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    ...of Lung Cancer

http://www.associatedentertainment.com/aec/National-Acts/Music-Category-1/Lou-Rawls

From gospel and early R&B to soul and jazz to blues and straight-up pop, Lou Rawls was a consummate master of African-American vocal music whose versatility helped him adapt to the changing musical times over and over again, while always remaining unmistakably himself. Blessed with a four-octave vocal range, Rawls' smooth, classy elegance -- sort of a cross between Sam Cooke and Nat King Cole -- permeated nearly everything he sang, yet the fire of his early gospel days was never too far from the surface. He made his name as a crooner, first by singing jazz standards, then moving on to soul in the mid-'60s, and capped the most commercial phase of his career with a productive stint at Philadelphia International during the latter half of the '70s. Even after his days as a chart presence were over, Rawls remained a highly visible figure on the American cultural landscape, pursuing an acting and voice-over career in addition to his continued concert appearances, and doing extensive charity work on behalf of the United Negro College Fund.

http://gxpmall.bizland.com/Lou%20Rawls.jpg

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I SAW LOU RAWL AT THE HOLYWOOD BOWL IN HOLLYWOOD CA. I WAS LIKE 12 AT THE TIME BUT I REALLY DUG THE MUSIC. I FELL A SLEEP AND WOKE TO "YOUR GONNA MISS MY LOVING" GREAT CONCERT.

R.I.P.

3. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    AS'E....................