Black People : Lottery Winner

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Ledda, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Ledda

Ledda Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    If you won the state lottery, the one with the millions, besides yourself and family how would you give back to the African-American community and what would you do to help uplift us our people? (If anything)

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is an excellent question Ledda! As you already stated, I would 1st take care of my family (who will always be 1st in my life). After this is done, I would look at improving my community. The are four immediate needs in every black community: Employment, Education, Medical Care, and Child Care. These are the needs I would attempt to address. I would open a PanAfricanist school (much like the few that exist in DC) & Daycare center. I would also look to bring in (create) a major corporation capable of initially employing hundreds of people, with the potential of eventually employing thousands.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Excellent ideas.

I would pretty much do the same; trying to use the money to help the black community become economically independent. I would also use some of it to provide loans and scholarships to upcoming entrepreneurs.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    :idea:I will host money-management classes out of a small building, and pay folks based on how well they perform, until I do not have much left!

CD

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    Well I don't gamble.....

No lottery...

No bingo....

No smiling at the police...

No gambling what so ever!

But if I was blessed to come into millions, the first thing I'd do is build a factory that will employ thousands of my people at a decent wage and begin the process black economic independance.

6. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Noble thoughts..

Though it is good to romance and fantasize on the idea of being blessed with a winfall and giving part of that back to the community for our betterment, I feel we don't need to invest our money in the state trickery create by the establishment of which by the prison population has clearly made us it's enemy. We can impact our community without waiting for one of our own to break off a peice of their pipedream. We as a people need to give our system our values and morality a facelift. Education should start in the home first before we hold others responsible for educating our children. The black man and women need to redefine their relationship with eachother. Our black men must step up and our black women must hold the standard and make our men live up to it. We as a people need to make a covenant with ourselve to change our habits and perspectives. When we make the reconstruction of the black family a priority before the reconstruction of the black nation then we will have a solid foundation from which to build. If the earlier slavemasters did one thing to insure we would be plagued with residual failure it was the systematic destruction of the African family unit. Without the black family in tact we will never be able to succeed or gain the type of power necessary to even the playing field. So keep the lottery, there's already enough funding available to make our dreams reality. We must be willing to let go of the foolishness and practice good stewardship of our resources. These are my thoughts.

Peace

7. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11

Very well said...Excellent brother. I agree wholeheartedly.

8. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    This wasn't so much about the gambling. When I discovered this community I expected many different points of view but not all (or as much) negativity towards our own. I've seen a lot of posts talking about unity, our youth, us coming together as one, and questions to the effect, "What has so and so done for our people?" and then the same people feel certain ones of us aren't worthy. Though I do realize that it doesn't always take money to contribute, it helps. A lot of us aren't wealthy enough to start something big that that would make a positive effect on our communities, so I used the lottery as an example. I don't often play myself, unless it's a couple dollars trying to hit 50 mil or more. So money or not, what would you do to help our people? We all talk about what we need to but it's just that. We're talking. How could something be done to lead some of us in a positive direction?

9. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Thank you Sister for your response. Don't get me wrong if someone plays the lottery as a game of chance, the key word here is "game" then in my opinion that's harmless. What we have is brothers and sisters that have exulted the state lottery systems as their financial messiah. This is the equivilent to throwing yourself a pity party. What I was trying to express is black folk are looking for a saviour or a blessing to fix the state of black folk in American from the outside instead of within. Our solution doesn't cost a dime. Our solution starts with us. If you really want to help black folk then be the best wife and mother you can possible be. Never compromise righteousness because everyone else is doing the wrong thing. Spend time and teach your children right from wrong. Be a parent not a peer to your children. Encourage your husband to succeed and support and comfort him when he fails. Be the bar of the standard black woman. Never lower the standard. Live within your means. Don't do anything that you would advise anyone else not to do. Keep your marriage together. Be an example for others to emulate. Put God before everything. These are simple things. Rebuilding the family is our solution. How can we manage ourselves as a nation if we can't manage our ourselves as a family? This is my mantra and you will hear me say it over and over again until people here understand the importance of this idea and start to live and pass it on. We won't be able to handle increase if we can't handle what we already have sister. As far a the lottery many black people hit the lottery every year in the form of professional atheletic draft and contract negotiations. Many give money and time back to the community and many don't. So play the lottery for fun if you choose but not as a solution. To simply answer your question if I were to "hit" the lottery I would do the same thing as many other of our bright, intellegent and consciencious people would do. I would secure financial freedom and legacy for my family and then I would create and fund a non-profit organization geared to the dedication of undoing the psychological damage that plagues our people today. Some of this I'm already doing as I'm sure you are as well.

Peace & Love sister

Radical Faith

10. Ledda

Ratings:
    +4
    Well put. I'm not really worried about the lottery, if I ever won I'd be more than too shocked. I handle the money I earn the best I know how. You talked of overall being the best person I can for myself and family and I know each and every day I'm doing just that. Maybe I'm being unrealistic here. Who better knows the struggles of our men and women better than we? One minute we're all for becoming greater, mad at the world we live in for it's prejudices and the many ways it oppresses and humiliates us as the lowest of the human race. We ourselves are guilty of the same. The next minute we're speaking against each other, actually being part of the problem rather than the solutions we all say we want to see. When we worry about our youth listening to dirty lyrics, watching violence on TV, or in video games what are we as parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, or neighbors trying to do to help educate them? What are we trying to do to clean up our neighborhoods and rid it of crime? Do we do anything even if we don't live in those neighborhoods? What are we doing for the adults who need education on the various issues we're plagued with today? That's just a small part of it, but how can we begin to help and become positive role models if we continue to look down on one another? Where I used to live there are black community leaders in a city nearby they have a hotline offered to all who may need help. Victims of crime, they hold vigils and help the police in investigating crimes, pregnant teens, teen groups, food and clothing banks, continuing education for adults and persons on probation or parole, and many other community resources. They're a very respected group of people and turn no one away. You can be this type of individual and some would still say, "Well, I agree with you on this, but you're wasting your time with that .