Black People : Lottery Tickets

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Feb 19, 2012.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    is there anyone on here who invest some of their money into lottery tickets. Do you feel it is a good investment. For those who have invested, how lucky have you been so far? And those who feel it is a waste of money. why? Do you feel that lottery should be banned?

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Out of principle I disagree with gambling. I think that African people should produce goods for themselves, and gambling isn't in any sense productive.

3. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I've seen people spend so much money on lottery tickets and they have been 'lucky'. I guess like folks who spend lots of money on cigarettes, makeup, diets, and fast food just to name a few, I do not understand why people spend money on lottery tickets. lol

4. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    The atypical spender likely finds an attraction in the lottery when bills are accruing. The prospect of a lump sum of needed cash for a relatively low amount swindles those whom are especially dwindling in luck.

I've seen the visibly poor walk to a store counter for a ticket and I have heard those going through difficulties continue conversations on hardships with references to that purchase.

It's not so much the lottery which is the problem, but the impoverishing that leads to it as an alternative; and of course that dependent nature that always seems to plague Africans especially.

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    When powerball went up to >$200 mill, I took a shot. lol

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    To me lottery is just like most stuff we see and do ,lottery is a game of chance / luck and wish factor
    I couldn't spend what i have in hope for a lucky wish , but i will and have played for the fun of it beyond
    getting trap in the mist of the game , that's all it is to me a game best i will give is a 50 cent box play
    maybe once or twice in that week .............never a daily thing i use it as a hobby that cost me
    50 cent or a dollar a week.

I have played the powerball when it hit high in the millions .....lol

7. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    ok for those who do the lottery ticket deal, make sure you are very good and practice reasonable logic when it comes to statistics and probability or you will become addicted and become broke lol

8. Heartbeat

Heartbeat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +86
    A gentleman I know who is well into his 70's spends several dollars a week buying powerball tickets. I asked him why he spends so much on lottery tickets and his reply was that he never finished school and was only able to get low paying jobs as an adult when he was working. He said the only way he can ever realistically get the things he's always wanted in life is to hit the lottery. Considering his circumstances and his current station in life I agree with him. It is sad that so many people can only see winning the lottery as a way to better their lives. As for myself, when the jackpot gets in that 150mil-200mil range I will spend 2-3 dollars on a ticket.

9. Each1teach1

Each1teach1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    build up the nation
    Ratings:
    +986
    My dad plays every week and has since I known him also smokes cigarettes. My grandad did the same when he lived. They were both far from being poor though. I play sometimes with scratch offs and have had much luck. Playing the lottery is as with most things good in moderation and only when u can afford it in my book. I play more for the thrill rather than the money although the money is a motivating factor. I dont like to gamble and ironically am a cheap scape especially in these hard economic times. I buy them here and there but to do it weekly when I just dont have it is excessive to me. Especially when there are easier ways to make money without spending it. However, there are other ways to make a fortune by investing little and without throwing your money down the tube.

10. novek

novek Active Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +36
    A play here and there won't hurt..........can\t win if you don't play.