Black People : LOST GENERATION???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, May 30, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    JamesFrmPhilly, did you say that this generation is lost??? Wow, that's a heavy statement, because if this generation is lost, that means that we as a people are lost, as THIS lost generation must raise the generation to come... How can they raise a "Found" generation if they, themselves, are lost??? It just does not add up!

Additionally, if you believe that this generation is so profoundly "out there", then you fundamentally agree with Dr. Bill and his public diatribes against this particular generation? I believe that there are portions of this generation who were raised by some "LOST" parents, who are LOST, GOnE, and FORGOTTEN...

This has happened with African Americans down through the generations... We had a great support system for taking care of our own back then when we had nothing... I know for a fact that we no longer have that wonderful support system, and it shows in so many ways. Homelessness, babies in foster care, elders in nursing homes, parents who've never saw a PTA meeting they wanted to go to, 50% of brothers in New York and Chicago(at least!)unemployed, a million brothers in the joint....the fastest growing population of prisoners are now Black Women...

Perhaps, this rock-bottom phase is what we need to wake us from our slumber, and go back to being the supportive village we once were... It wasn't perfect, there was unemployment, there were babies being born to teenagers, brothers did abuse sisters, and they both, sometimes, abused the children, or did drugs...but the community looked down on all of that, and there were LINES you could not cross if you wanted to be respected. That's the key, those lines have been crossed so often over the years, we came to accept the once unacceptable as normal.

We have to rein ourselves in, and make it clear that, yes, your hustle can be knocked... Yes, you may speak as much EBONICS as you love, but know when it is not appropriate... Education must, again, be valued above all else, and we must get it at all costs...even if that means staying home and studying on a Saturday night... We must find that path to restoring the Value system we once had - the one which valued legitimate achievement over mere making money... Any criminal, any hustler, can make money... It is fool's gold if it is ill-gotten, easy come, easy go, and without a plan to perpetuate wealth that benefits the community. And parents have stop, simple, talking the talk, and take the children to the library... Get them away from the damned play stations and televisions, and make 'em read, make them exercise their minds... The best way to achieve this is to let them see you reading, and visiting the library...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i know my generation totally failed to transmit our values to the current generation.
    the young seem to have taken their values from BET and VIBE magazine.
    just as this generation decided that our values were not cool i hope that their children will turn against them.
    i mean, how much thug life can you take?
    someone has to figure out that knowledge and education is the value that will get us to the next level.
    the history is there, one day someone will study it.

it's going to be difficult to make it as a tattooed, pierced, thug when you are going on social security.
    some forces are going to force a wake up call.

there may be a charismatic leader who will arise and turn the youth around.
    we do not know what will happen.

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother James, your last sentence means that we are leaving things up to the heavens, and heaven knows that a people without a plan, plan to fail... We have to bring concrete solutions to the table, or we can forget about it...

Again, education is absolutely the key. We don't even have to build educational institutions, as we already have churches that COULD serve that purpose, and do not... The Africa American Church is, and has been historically, an institution which served as an opiate, rather than a stimulus to action. But right there in these institutions is the potential to reverse a lot of the damage done by milquetoast ministers...

Also, James, African American men have to get up, clean up, and stand up, and recognize that WE are the solution to the problems in our communities. I believe that once WE stand up, and set the standard of manhood for our sons, they will follow our example.

Again, I want to put the call out to all of the members of this forum to form the organizational apparatus for building institutions in our communities... Right now, all we do is talk and discuss, and make occasional contributions to Mama Destee. I think we have to go the step further, and create a plan and an economic fund that not only sustains Destee.Com, but has as it's goal, the desire to build institutions in our communities all over this country. Of course, that requires TRUST, that requires PATIENCE, that requires VISION - and it may even require signatures from each and every last one of the 5,000 members of Destee.Com to be touched - but it should, and must be done...

If even one school, or one good bank or credit union were built by the members of this board, we could all then say we are doing something that does not leave our children's fates in the hands of the heavens...

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i don't know how to do it...........

i love knowledge. i always have.
    the problem i have is that i do not know how to give that love to a young person.
    i do not know how to talk to the youth.

black people need to wake up, clean up and stand up, true but i do not know how to wake them up.
    that is why i'm hoping a leader will come along who will have the ear of the young people.
    they certainly don't listen too the likes of me.

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    ...can I get in on this?

I think the problems that we face as AfroAmericans are mostly MORAL/SPIRITUAL rather than educational, economic, or intellectual.

The reason I say that is because we have money, we just don't know how to spend it.

We're smart, we just use our intelligence and talents for the wrong reasons.

We have educated doctors, lawyers, business people, and engineers all through out our ranks...but we still don't know how to apply the knowledge we gain from these institutions of learning.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    yes, that is why i used the term "knowledge" rather than "education".
    not to put too fine a point on it, but education does not always lead to knowledge.

i think the moral crises that blacks face is the morals we have adopted from white society when we tried to assimilate.
    those morals were toxic and did us harm.
    we need to cleanse ourselves of that toxin and come up with something old/new/better.

7. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    This is why I stress that black people learn the trades and skills of civilization rather than slinging back-packs over their shoulders just to study at universities that merely credentialize them to work in the white man's world.

We need to encourage our people to be more electricians, irrigationists, plumbers, carpenters, steel workers...as well as doctors and legalists.

These skills will truly make us an self-suffienet people so that if left alone in our own land, we would not only survive but thrive independant of outside help.

But the moral problem.....the moral problem.......

When I speak of a moral problem, this is beyond religion.

It's about spite, greed, jealousy, rage,

Watching your brother out the corner of your eye hoping he'll fail, or atleast not do better than you.

Or a woman seeing another sista with a good man and getting so angry with her and your lack of success that you scheme to pull him away and break them up.

Fighting with eachother at work over who can impress the white boss the best. Even insulting poor black folks as stupid and lazy along with your white managers in an attempt to impress them and separate yourself from the rest of the black race in their eyes.
    Some of our people do this.

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i hope that the moral problem is an infection from without.
    if that is the case we have a chance to get it out of our system.
    i agree it is the thing that holds us down.

i pray that i live long enough to see it reverse.
    it is all i desire in this life.

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Gentlemen, thanks for your contributions on this thread...

When I speak of education, I am speaking wholistically... Education does not only take place in the academy, it takes place at home... At home, we have failed more profoundly than we have in sending our babies to be educated by our oppressors. We have sat them down in front of the television, in front of the play station, in front of the computer, and allowed all kinds of influences but our own.

The surveys say that African Americans watch more television than any other ethnic group in the country... Yet we deny this on one hand, saying "they never surveyed me", and then we admit it when we say the children are being influenced by BET... The children are the way they are because we allowed something and someone else to raise them. We acted as if values are transmitted by ether rather than by example - our example.

We need to admit that to ourselves, and get on our jobs... Perhaps, we need to, also, educate our adults about the basics of good parenting, because good parenting is the basis for developing good children... Children need to be talked to and listened to. They need as many hugs and kisses, and displays of support and affection as we can give them... They are children, not miniature adults. I see too much of that in our communities, where parents talk to children like they are adults, venting their adult problems with the child as if that child is mature enough to comprehend the larger issues of the world.

Let them be children, let them enjoy their childhoods, give them your undying support, help them with their homework, go to their ballgames, take them to the museum, and the library and the zoo, and the botanical garden... Get them away from that television and BET and MTV, and sit down and read and do some math with them... Get them involved in some clubs, open up a bank account for them, and let them watch their little nickles and dimes grow. Encourage them to work as well as go play...

Finally,Black Men Must Step UP To The Plate, and stop criticizing African women for the job they're doing with the children. Black Women are limited in what they can teach boys about being MEN... Woman's interaction with men is different than men's interactions with other men. Women know zero of our code of conduct among each other, and I am afraid that as African men, our failure to teach our sons about that code of conduct has led to them developing their own... Their code of conduct, in my humble opinion, is quite feminine in some respects. They must be talked to a certain way - like women... They are sensitive and easily offended if talked to gruffly... They want respect from their elders when they have not EARNED that respect, which is the code of conduct I came up with. One cannot greet them on the streets of my city, as one can older brothers, without a look of pure suspicion of your motives...

That is fear, pure fear, and it is borne of a world in which they have grown up without male love, support and mentoring. We Black Men have failed them by not GiVING them the kind of love and support they've needed to feel secure in this world... Is there any wonder as to why we now feel insecure when a group of them are gathered together at the corner???

Cause and Effect... The lack of strong family structure, strong committed Black males, who are always there, providing the answers to complex problems in a complex world. When I was a child, I GOT that from more than just my papa... Cats who knew my papa, cats who knew my elder brothers, cats who just knew I was a child, and did what MEN do, and had done for centuries... How and why that all changed is a long, complex story that begins with us dropping our guards on them babies having babies in the early 1970's... Wiped out an entire generation with our negligence, man...

Now we must return to the ways of old, when the village raised the baby, the village fed the baby, loved the baby, spanked the baby when baby was bad, and took baby home to mama and daddy for same. How we going to do that??? My thinking is that we must target our churches, and our churches ought to be targeting our men... Women are always up in there, and women are always gone stay up in the church. The church needs to stop preaching to the choir, and go out into the highways and byways, and start snatching a few good brothers... They way to do that, however, is not through no religion, but through their stomachs and pockets(smile!) If you can put brothers to work, and put some cash money in their pockets, you can have an impact on their minds, as well...

My days as a muslim, I guess, still linger strong within me... And, ironically, that is why I have focused on the church(smile!) The Nation focused it's attention on Black Men, made us get up, stand up, clean up, and present a positive and powerful image to other Black men and boys... I was, myself, influenced by that imagery... I beleive the church can do the same if it has the will... It certainly has the attractions(Black Women), but does it have the will to transform males into men? Only one way to find out, I guess...

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4