Black People : Looking for Kinfolks

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by PurpleMoons, Oct 10, 2004.

1. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Inspired by a thread titled, "Can You Prove Your Ancestors Were Slaves?" Posted by Sister Destee. I've decided to start my search for my ancestors.

Having very limited resource, I would like to ask if there are any Alabamians in the house or if any one know some folks from Florence Alabama with the surnames, Hill, Taylor, Sanders, Mcdonald, and or Webster.

I know that the Sanders traveled to Alabama from Mississippi. If any of this names sound familiar to yous, please dont hesitate to replay. I know it is a long shot but its worth the try.

Also, If anyone here Is familiar with a Native american named Nancy Elliot who lived in California approximately the year 1920 or up. I'm not sure of the
    exact location, but she is possibly my Grandmother. She had two daughter and a son, who fled the law after shooting a cop. His name was Harry Leon Smith. He could have changed his name because of the incident that occurred. He enlisted in the army to escape the law and used a alias name, which is probably the name above. He was born January 23, 1922 or 23. If this story sounds familiar please drop me a line or two in this thread.

Sister Destee, What do you think of the idea of having a forum dedicated to those who are searching for lost relatives? Family can inquire in there about relatives. Leaving some information that might be helpful. So many people pass throught Destee's in a day. We may be a closer family than we could possible imagine. We can call it, Black Folks Ancestry Search.

What do you think about that Sis?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is wonderful Purple...I wish you luck!

3. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you! I'm gonna need luck and a prayer Brother Pan. I talked with my great great Aunt today. It felt so wonderful! She gave me my Great Grandmas name. She couldn't remember much but i think it was more because I am a stranger to her. I'm gonna make plans to visit her so that I can milk her for everything she got. LOL plus I'll get to sit with the presence of a part of my history. That is a honor by itself!:hearts1:

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Our elders are a wealth of information! I recommend that everyone talk to the Seniors of their family while they can...once they pass that knowledge is forever lost.

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    This is a great idea.....I been searching as well...
    My moms family is bascially easy my dad's family
    I have luck up on alot of information and still searching

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this very enlighting doing our family getherings once a year for years
    we have captured great knowledge of our history and family tree back
    to the 1700's and how we got our last name and all, today we still keep
    up with it and searching for a deeper root, as we look back over our
    ancestors lives and slavery .
    Pan is right get all the info you can from the older members in the family
    and root out the family tree of your family exsistance you will be amazed .

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    It isn't always easy to get information from elders in the African American community. As sister CarrieMonet identified in another thread (I believe Can You Prove Your Ancestors Were Slaves), many of the elders in our families can be very secretive about this information. There has been no period in the African American experience which has been easy; however, in the past people were taught to withhold information which was embarrasing, or made the family look bad: Unmarried pregnant girls were sent out of town to deliver (and in many cases the baby was raised by another family member), People with mental illnesses were locked away in rooms, sexual assaults went unpunished, abusive husbands at home became loving ones in public (and the wife promoted the deception if not initiated it), etc. Unfortunately this attitude can be adopted even towards other family members. When seeking to get information about one's ancestors from elders in our family, it is necessary to gain their trust. It is also necessary to let them know the importance of the task you are undertaking, and how it will benefit the entire family.

8. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    That is wonderful Mba! Would you list some of your suggestions on how you searched as well. What actions did you take and what resourses did you use?
    Thank you so much for your replay Sister. You response is very encouraging!

Yes Rich, A family reunion is a great way to obtain information. The Sanders do a big family reunion every year. They have it all over the place. Usually its done in Michigan, I think. Atleast thats what my mom told me. We plan to go as a family unit but it seems money and circumstances always seem to get in the way.

You are so right Pan. My mother told me that the never discuss important issues around her as a child. Everything was kept on the hush. She dont even no if her Grandpa, poppa jack was a slave or not. They just didnt discuss these thing. When I ask Aunt Besty to tell me about my Great Grandma she brushed me off by saying she really cant remember alot. But Grandma Jenny is her mother. Surly she knows about her mom. I suspected she didnt want to get into it with me because I am a stranger and no one has asked about Grandma Jenny in a long time. I plan to get some personal time with Aunt Besty. She is very old and I'm afraid her time here on this plain is comming to an end. I will have to make my move fast. I will try to arrange a way that me and my mom can be there together so she can feel a lot more comfortable.

Thank you Family. I love yall!!!!!

9. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I really wish it was easier to find my kin folk on my dad's side. I get stuck in Alabama / Georgia areas. All I know is his name is Carlton Bryant. Since so many people back then did not have to have social security numbers I have no idea if he is alive or dead. My grammy states that the last she heard he left Alabama and moved to GA. My grammy was only 16 when she had my father but from what I've learned Carlton was at least 22-24 years old which would make him 83-85 now. Since he was older than my grammy, I can only assume he had more kids than just my father.

I belong to the TNBA (The national Black Bowlers Association). When I was in Florida last year for a tournament I won some money and my name was announced over the loud speaker. A woman came up to me afterwards saying her Aunt's name is also Carrie Bryant and that they were from Alabama. I explained my situation and that my father doesn't know his relatives (or if he has them). She seemed to think they may have been relatives of mine, her aunt did have a few brothers. We exchanged information, I was very excited...but when I contacted her once I got back to Seattle, she never responded. That hurt... and I'm still in the dark.

10. PurpleMoons

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I know what you mean Sister CarrieMonet. The not knowing creates a void and forever keeps me wondering who am I and where did I get certain habits from. I do some things so naturally that was even done in my home. I just know it has something to do with my ancestors.

Hopefully your grandpa's name will ring a bell to someone here and they will post.

Lets keep our hope up Sis!