Black Spirituality Religion : Looking for Info About the Orishas Aja and Erinle

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Dec 20, 2012.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I'm trying to find info about healing orishas. All the info I could find about Babalu points to him as one who causes disease, with healing as something that he also does. Aja and Erinle seem to be what I am looking for but precise info about them is hard to find.

The reason I need this information is because I am writing a book in which one of my characters is a priestess of Candomblé. The protagonist's mother is hospitalized with high blood pressure so the priestess needs to invoke an orisha on her behalf.

I know that orisha have numbers, colors and objects associated with them, for instance, Xangô (Candomblé or Portuguese spelling of Shango) is associated with the numbers 4 and 6, his colors are red and white and his symbol is a double headed ax. I can't seem to find info like that for Aja or Erinle so how would a priestess go about invoking them?

• Violation Violation x 1
    • List
  2. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Omolú or Obaluaiyé are the Orishas of healing in Candomble.

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Thanks. where is the best place to find information about them? I had come across omolu but the info I found suggested he is syn ominous with babalu.

4. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
  5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    okay, I won't. As a writer, I can just allude to it without giving any details. I can't write down more than what has already been written . I just don't want to write any false information. The book will be factual but still fiction.

The story you are about to read is true. The plot has been changed to protect the innocent.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Contact brother Sek.

7. Barry Irving

Barry Irving Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +37
    ...don't know if you got any answers, but the Orishas that you mention are quite esoteric. Erinle is the River Rain King and his worship was exclusively a regional one in differing parts of West Africa. Erinle is a powerful Male Water Spirit who is associated with Orisha OKO and Osanyin. In Folk Lore outside of So. Western Nigeria, their practice is little known and many times they make themselves manifest through similar Orisha.

...some of what you seek doesn't come easy to non practitioners. What a priestess does is sacred to the Igbodu ( sacred grove ) you have to be initiated to experience that. Initiation is a lifestyle and a direction in healing...not a blessing as some who seek it think. All Orishas heal...healing is a subjective term.

...the Orisha that you experience in books and videos is not the Orisha you encounter as a devotee. There are notes and Folk Lore that in general that refer to the affairs of Man and Destiny. In real life for the practitioner, all things are divined. Divination is based on esoteric Ifa / Orisha theology as the philosophy. The practice revolves around daily ritual, consultation and study towards mastering prayers, language and incantation towards gaining seniority and a practical level of command in your personal practice and by extension - the community of Priests, pracitioners and Iyawos...( novices )

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
  9. Babasola

Babasola Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +220
  10. Barry Irving

Barry Irving Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +37
    ...might help to understand the African continental / regional aspects of Orisha worship. What we get here is African Caribbean, Brazillian ( to some extent ) and Hispanic. The history is different. In west Africa there are over 4,000 aspects and manifestations (roads) of Orisha. In the Americas and the Caribbean there are 21.