Black People : Looking For Black People?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Hello Family,

I was just talking in the voice chat room about my first days on the Internet, and how as soon as i got on, i immediately began looking for other Black people. I could hardly find any, and it was terrible, as though i was in a barren land. When i did find one, i was sooooo excited, i wanted to just cling to them! When they said,"Okay Destee, i'm finna log off" I screamed, "Nooooo, don't go!" :)

That was in 1996. Thank God it's much better now.

Yesterday, an old friend of mine told me about how much she enjoys Yahoo's chat, so for the first time i went to check it out.

I naturally gravitated toward the "Black Folk Area" and clicked inside a room. It was a voice chat room, and i heard a female's voice on the mic. She sounded White. Then another, and another came to the mic, all sounding the same. I said to myself ... "Huh??" ... :(

So i typed into the room ... "Are there any Black people in here?"

The White sounding female got back on the mic to say that she hates it when people come in the room looking for Black people. She said we're all the same, and she doesn't see any difference in people.

I sat there looking at the text flying across the screen, trying to figure out who might be Black up in there, as i continued listening to White sounding folk come to the mic, in what was clearly labeled a "Black Room." I could not take it for very long.

I came back home ... :love:

Thank yall for being here!

Do you or have you, specifically looked for Black people on the Internet? Share your experience(s).

:heart:

Destee

I first was introduced to the internet in a Organizational Management class at Morgan State University (1997). My professor (whos name I've forgotten) gave us the course outline & first few homework assignments online. I was pissed because I had to spend money on getting a internet connection established. However shortly after I got my internet hooked up, I discovered it was pretty useful. I could do research, listen to music, and read about sports. I don't remember exactly when, but shortly after I began using the net, I started looking for black sites. The first black websites I found where Afronet, Black Planet, and Black Voices. I rapidly lost interest in Black Planet and Black Voices, because both sites seemed more concerned about making "booty calls" than discussing topics of relevance. As a result I concentrated soley on the forums of Afronet. Afronet had a chatroom which I didn't visit for a year, because I felt internet chatting was for losers. Eventually a friend convinced me to check out the chat room, which was run by a woman named Destee. The people were cool, the topics were interesting....I've been hanging out with Destee ever since.

How I found Destee :skate:

I was at work, where I usually am, and had had my fill of students that day and just strated surfing the net and bumped into destee. That was in 1998 I belive and I have been here every since. Like Pan I visited BP and BV and found them to be entirely too vulgar. I have found a home here since day one and have no desire to go anywhere else. Destee I have said it a million times and I'll say it again, what you have created for all of us is magic, and I can never thank you enough. Because of you I have met life long friends.

Much Love
Your Remby:wave:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back