Black People : Looking For Black People?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Family,

I was just talking in the voice chat room about my first days on the Internet, and how as soon as i got on, i immediately began looking for other Black people. I could hardly find any, and it was terrible, as though i was in a barren land. When i did find one, i was sooooo excited, i wanted to just cling to them! When they said,"Okay Destee, i'm finna log off" I screamed, "Nooooo, don't go!" :)

That was in 1996. Thank God it's much better now.

Yesterday, an old friend of mine told me about how much she enjoys Yahoo's chat, so for the first time i went to check it out.

I naturally gravitated toward the "Black Folk Area" and clicked inside a room. It was a voice chat room, and i heard a female's voice on the mic. She sounded White. Then another, and another came to the mic, all sounding the same. I said to myself ... "Huh??" ... :(

So i typed into the room ... "Are there any Black people in here?"

The White sounding female got back on the mic to say that she hates it when people come in the room looking for Black people. She said we're all the same, and she doesn't see any difference in people.

I sat there looking at the text flying across the screen, trying to figure out who might be Black up in there, as i continued listening to White sounding folk come to the mic, in what was clearly labeled a "Black Room." I could not take it for very long.

I came back home ... :love:

Thank yall for being here!

Do you or have you, specifically looked for Black people on the Internet? Share your experience(s).

:heart:

Destee

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I first was introduced to the internet in a Organizational Management class at Morgan State University (1997). My professor (whos name I've forgotten) gave us the course outline & first few homework assignments online. I was pissed because I had to spend money on getting a internet connection established. However shortly after I got my internet hooked up, I discovered it was pretty useful. I could do research, listen to music, and read about sports. I don't remember exactly when, but shortly after I began using the net, I started looking for black sites. The first black websites I found where Afronet, Black Planet, and Black Voices. I rapidly lost interest in Black Planet and Black Voices, because both sites seemed more concerned about making "booty calls" than discussing topics of relevance. As a result I concentrated soley on the forums of Afronet. Afronet had a chatroom which I didn't visit for a year, because I felt internet chatting was for losers. Eventually a friend convinced me to check out the chat room, which was run by a woman named Destee. The people were cool, the topics were interesting....I've been hanging out with Destee ever since.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thanks for sharing Pan ... :love:

Hope others do as well.

Destee

4. Remby

Remby Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +37
    How I found Destee :skate:

I was at work, where I usually am, and had had my fill of students that day and just strated surfing the net and bumped into destee. That was in 1998 I belive and I have been here every since. Like Pan I visited BP and BV and found them to be entirely too vulgar. I have found a home here since day one and have no desire to go anywhere else. Destee I have said it a million times and I'll say it again, what you have created for all of us is magic, and I can never thank you enough. Because of you I have met life long friends.

Much Love
    Your Remby:wave:

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    awwww Remby ... thank you Sister :kiss: :love: :grouphug:

I just find it kinda ... uhhhh ... warm and fuzzy ... that we look for each other when getting online!

Share your stories Family!

Destee

6. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812

I loovvve that story! It's too cute! Now don't neva leave home again 'cause you don't know what you miss til you ain't got it and you know don't nobody love you like your own! LOL;) Seriously..I look for Black people and resource/information on Black people practically 95% of the time I'm online....in fact it was through Black sources that I found Destee!:) Even when I'm on nonblack sites like amazon or ebay, I'm typically looking for Black stuff!

7. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    For real though!

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Yeah, not even gonna lie. I have done so, which is how I found this site. ;)