Black Authors : Looking for advice from published authors and spoken word artists

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by hunt8818, Sep 11, 2003.

1. hunt8818

hunt8818 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me start by saying this is a great site:)

I have a book of poetry I would like to publish. I found a company who was willing to publish it but they wanted me to pay $7,000.00 . I just felt like a legitmate publishing company wouldn't charge me to publish my book. I have also visited a local poetry club in my area. I would like to put together a spoken word cd, and publish my book of poetry. Those are my first 2 goals. My third is to finish the novel I am currently working on. I need some advice on how to put together a spoken word cd and how to get cafe's or clubs to feature me as their featured poet. If it helps any I am located in Sacramento California. I would love to go the the Bay Area and read in cafe's there and also Los Angeles. But I just don't know how to go about doing this. I would also like my spoken word cd to have a neo/soul/ jazz flava to it, but again I don't know how to go about doing this:(

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to all in advance

2. thespokesman

thespokesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Designer, student
    Ratings:
    +1
    i am looking to get my book published
    can you help me out and let me know any info on how to get it published and the word out

on that cd u would need a studio whic means someone got to pay for pressing cds and studio time
    its similar to music

3. alter

alter Well-Known Member MEMBER

insurrection
    Ratings:
    +0
    re your question...

...there are a number of excellent places where you can go in order to get your book published for less than $7,000. if you care whether your book is done by a company owned by african americans, there is www.conqueringbooks.com. i helped to start that site - and company - and had a hand in the creation of many of the books there, so do have some practical experience and knowledge pertaining to how much such a process should cost. there, you can get your book self-published, as well as come away with books in hand for you to sell at trade shows, to use for book signings, to give to family, to promote by taking to bookstores and sending to agents, whatever you want. it is difficult and it takes a long time to break into the traditional publishing world, so in many cases, it might serve your purposes just as well to self-publish yourself. places like www.1stbooks.com, whom i also worked for, also offer the self-published author a wealth of advertising and marketing packets, all of which will help you to get the word out. 1stbooks is much more expensive than conquering books is, but the quality is probably pretty much the same. with conquering books, though, you have the extra added bonus of being associated with a long tradition of black publishing, and your work will stand along such greats as carter g. woodson, dr. muata ashby, and shaharazad ali.

with the scale of the black, online writing community, there are many venues that you can go to in order to pub your book, to get thoughtful book reviews, and to ask for advice, especially if you are a poet, or have written a book of fiction. all you have ot have is the willpower to do what has to be done to get your name and your product out there, and you are guaranteed to at least make back what you spent in publishing and printing your books. good luck to you! i don't know much about cds, so i have no advice for that aspect of your career. :x:

4. Angela Jones

Angela Jones New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

There are alot of self publishing companies like 1stbooks.com that are a lot cheaper than that. Go to google and type in key words self publishing, you will be swormed with publishing houses that charge less than that.
    In addition I am publishing a book called, Voices of Color: The Untold Story of Spoken Word. The first part of the book is an ethnographic study on the historical, present, and future experiences of poets of color. The second part is an anthology of Spoken Word poetry by artists of color. I am still accepting submissions, and always love to support my brothers and sisters. If you are interested in submitting work for publication in the book, email me at [email protected]. I will email an information packet, and answer any questions you have.
    Peace, love, and solidarity,
    Angela Jones (New York)