Black People : Looking for a Pen Pal

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by polkadot, Nov 14, 2003.

1. polkadot

polkadot New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I am a young African-American woman from Texas. I am looking for a pen pal to chat with via email. I'm seeking a male or female who enjoys good conversation and also likes to talk about current events. I would also hope this person is somewhat religious.

Please send me a private message if you're interested. Hope to hear from you soon! :thanks:

2. lilcherry76

lilcherry76 Well-Known Member MEMBER

17, 11th grade at GPHS
    Ratings:
    +8
    HEY!!!PICK ME!!!PLZ?

hey, i'm an afro-american girl from Houston, TX and i would like to make a pen pal, but i only get on destee after school mondays thru thursdays from 4:00pm-4:30pm hope you will consider me. and i am religious. i'm a baptist to be exact , but i am not worried about different religions because everyone is different. hope to hear from you on monday at 4pm. leave the message on a reply to me, i don't know that much about email here, but my screen name is lilcherry76, so i guess you can either read one of my poems and leave a reply(check out poetry gettin your flow on) and find a poem of mine and send your message thru a reply. hope to hear from you........

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Polkadot and Welcome! :wave:

Hey Sister LilCherry !! :wave:

With all due respect to both of you, this is the Internet and we must be very careful when interacting privately with people we don't know. This community provides the opportunity for us all to "kinda" get to know each other, via posts here on the forum, voice chat, etc., all out in the open. Until we know someone well enough, that is where the communications should remain, in my opinion, out in the open.

This is especially true as it relates to our teenagers. Polkadot, you didn't mention your age, or what age person you are seeking, but LilCherry is only 17 years old (according to her profile). If LilCherry were my daughter, she'd not be communicating privately with anyone she just met on the Internet. I'd also caution her about giving too much personal information out.

This is just a gentle reminder to all. Yes, we have a very loving atmosphere that allows us to relax and be comfortable, but let it not lull us into a sense of false security. We are still on the Internet, where a person can present themselves to be whatever they want ... and you may not find out the truth until it's too late.

Polkadot, i welcome you to post more, get to know the Family, allow us to get to know you ... and many meaningful friendships can be developed.

Stay Focused Family.

:heart:

Destee

4. polkadot

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear -- I am NOT a pedophile, which is what I feel like Destee is insinuating. I am just looking for friends to chat with about current events. I am not planning on meeting or molesting anyone. I am a member of another message board, and I have chatted with several people on their private message boards. Many of them I have become friends with and we just simply chat on a weekly basis. I haven't met anyone from the Internet. It wasn't a big deal on the other message board, and I didn't think it would be a big deal here.

But since it is, feel free to delete this thread. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I'm a child molestor.

Besides if I was out to do harm, would I post on a forum? I'd probably just contact people via private message to begin with.

If you don't feel comfortable chatting via Private Message, please DON'T respond.

And Destee if you truly cared about what the younger members were being exposed to, you might want to delete some of the nearly X-rated posts in the other forums (i.e. Relationships, Jokes).

5. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    polkadot...
    first of all...
    destee's concern is a valid one
    we don't know you from a crack in da wall...
    this is a forum that she created so she has a responcibility to make sure nothing bad is going on...

secondly...you are in a forum that contains everything black...so to come up in here disrespecting destee is a no no...especially if you are who you say you are...

thirdly...if you have penpals already then talk to them...after you show'n you're @ss up in here, no one is gonna want to have a converstion with you privately...not from here atleast, this site is about black people trying to be better people...and you have some growing up to do...

goto blackplanet if you want a penpal...
    btw...there is a difference between x-rated litreture
    and potental sicko's that guises themselves as an innocent individual...
    ---------------------------------
    don't come back here with that disrespecting filth or you will get banned...

your friendly moderator
    khasm

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Polkadot, i was not trying to insinuate that you are a pedophile, or any such thing as that. I don't know you and could not possibly know any such thing as that. As founder of this community, being on the Internet for the many years i have, hearing the stories we've all heard, aware of the risk that is out here, and being the Mother of 3, i could do nothing else but respond as i did. It has nothing to do with you personally or Sister LilCherry. I apologize that it was your thread, and a teenager's response to it, that prompted me to address this very real concern. In no way did i mean to speak to your behaviour, character, or integrity, because i know nothing of them.

I am probably "over-protective" of all children, especially the teenagers in this community and subsequently, i respond like the Mother that i am. This has generally been received favorably, as most are aware of the dangers on the Internet to our children. If you are an adult, i'm sure you'd agree that we can't be too careful with our babies. Again, no disrespect was intended.

In regard to there being "nearly X-rated" posts/threads in this community, please share them with me. You will find a link under every post that says "Report This Post" and it will be sent to the Moderating Team. We don't see every post or every thread added to this community. If we do see something in violation, it is removed. With the help of you and other Family Members, our home can remain as safe and wholesome as reasonably possible in such an open environment. Yes, please report those "nearly X-rated" posts or include a link to them in this thread and they will be addressed accordingly.

I can understand how you might take offense since this was mentioned in your thread, but please trust, i'm only taking advantage of an opportunity to address a very important issue ... not to insinuate anything about you.

:heart:

Destee

7. polkadot

Ratings:
    +0
    Destee,
    I understand where you are coming from I truly do. But I think you could have handled the situation in a better manner. For example, you could have deleted my thread and emailed me privately to discuss this. If you felt that asking for a pen pal was a problem, you could have also posted a message about that rather than making me seem to be a bad person. I did not come on this forum looking for little children or to harm anyone. I merely requested anyone looking for a pen pal to contact me. In lilcherry76's response to me, I have been called a sicko. So, I think I will take the "friendly moderator's" advice and remain on the other forum where my reputation is in good standing and continue to communicate with those people. I was just reaching out to do the same here with who I thought were friendly people of African descent.

So, I am relinquishing my membership here. You may delete my profile if that needs to be done. I don't know that I have the authority to do so.

Thank you and have a good day!

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
  9. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131