Black People : Looking at the Same Thing - See Different

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Peace and Blessings Family,

How do we look at the same thing and see something different?

How do we help each other see the same thing ... where i see what you see and you see what i see?

:heart:

Destee

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Sometimes we are taught to see differently and sometimes we believe half a picture is equal to a whole.

Allow room for differences, know that different doesn't necessary mean "wrong". Take a minute to hear and invision life in someone elses shoes. Understand they may never see what you see, and except it's their right to choose not to.

:heart:

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    I will attempt to answer the first question.

"How do we look at the same thing and see something different?"

If you live in the northern hemispere and I live in the southern hemispere, we both can look at the stars at night but what I see will be different from what I see because we both are looking at stars but from different POINTS of view. From different LOCATIONS.

Same with time zones. I can SEE Sirius emerging on the horizons at one time period from my location whereas making you won't SEE it for another twohours or more. And when It airses, I may SEE it "due east" while from your location, it may appear north of where I SEE it.

So, there are differences in Time and Space. These may appear to be illusions but the differences are quite real.

Some of us have experiences that shape our perspectives that are quite different from others. Not all of us have the SAME experiences. Not all of us have the SAME perspectives.

Such as "slavery". You have one historical perspective. I have another. Why? Because our family experiences were different.

Same with "race mixing". You have one historical perspective. I have another. Why? Again, because our family experiences were different.

Even though you live in present day Alabama. I live in present day texas. We both have family raised in Alabama. But they were raised in different time periods And their experiences were different.

This explains WHY I SEE some things different than YOU Sister Destee. My family experience is different from yours. So, I was raised differently, with a different perspective.

However, I am here because we SEE some things the same way. But we will never SEE everything the same way. Because we were raised differently. From different locations.

I can only help you to SEE some things that I SEE as you can only help me to SEE some of the things that you SEE. But we will never SEE Everything the same way. Because we have different experiences which shape our different perceptions.

These differences are what make you and I unique, in each of our own ways.

Peace and Divine Love.

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    Very true...

"Allow room for differences, know that different doesn't necessary mean "wrong".

Exactly Sister Purple Moons...

I can give one example but am hesitant...anyway...

Just as I view the "Divine Words of God" based upon literature which I INHERITED and what I have studied, other have thier viewpoint based upon their own study and "teaching".

My perspective is based upon a different teaching but that does not make it wrong. It doesnt mean that theirs is wrong either. its simply a different perspective based upon different teaching, different upbringing, different spiritual guidance and different experience.

5. Jazzytude

Jazzytude Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    NIce starter

I don't want to 2nd everything the brotha said....but I will...LOLOLOLOL

How you can...well most times people's culture and environment shapes how we process and see things...I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATE CULTURE!!!....ALSO CLARITY HELPS

MY FIRST MAJOR WAS ANTHROPOLOGY, I THINK I WILL TAKE SOME MORE CLASSES!

ANYWHEEW...PEACE

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista Destee.

Yes, all of the above.

As Morpheus said in the Matrix if what is real is what we see, feel, hear, taste and smell then what is real is merely electrical impulses interpreted by the brain. How can electrical impulses flowing through two different bodies be interpreted in the exact same way by two different brains?

If I come in out of the cold the room will feel hot to me. I will look at the person laid up in flannel pajamas with three blankets and think that person is crazy. We are both experiencing the room at the same numeric temperature. But my body has adjusted to the cold outside and my blood is rushing through me from exercise so it's hot to me. Because I see myself as a reasonably healthy and intelligent person I naturally question the health and intelligence of anyone who doesn't feel (interpret electrical impulses) what I do.

I this is true of something as concrete and scientifically measurable as room temperature how much more divergent will our interpretation of abstract concepts be--intentions, attitudes, tone of voice, common sense?

Communication is the only way we can help each other see what we see. I should say active communication. We cannot not communicate. Even if we tape our mouths shut or stick our fingers in our ears something is being communicated--experiences (electrical impulses) are being interpreted. In the absence of active communication these interpretations will not be based on an accurate understanding of what the other person sees.

This has been a public service message brought to you by Da River

7. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    Beautiful Sister Destee,
    I think that it is much more important for us to understand and believe in what others tell us they see. The prime example for me would be whites & racism.
    I do not believe that white people will truly understand about racism because it does not adversely affect them; they only benefit from it. I have to admit that I have banged my head against the wall trying to get some whites to see what I see, only to come to the conclusion that they can't see it because it's not against them, it's against me. So, instead of getting them to see it, I try to get them to just accept what I tell them about it. Whites will never be able to walk a mile in my shoes because the journey would be devastating to them after a couple of steps. So now, I just try to give them a postcard of the trip in hopes that they will just accept it without the personal experience to validate it.
    Besides, it's what I do for them when it comes to being privileged & free. I can only accept their explanation of it. I surly can't see it.

8. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    It is inevitable, in this life, that different people are going to see things differently, based on their own unique life experiences. We do not have to always agree. But, we should work harder at accepting the right of others to disagree with us; even when they disagree with what we hold most sacred.

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, even more difficult than trying to understand why people are different is accepting the fact that they are and that they have a right to be.

It is the opposition of the blades that makes a pair of scissors useful. Have you ever tried to use a pair of scissors with both blades facing the same way? The opposition of the blades pushes the material of life to the cutting edge of truth.

10. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

:bowdown: :bowdown: