African Traditional Religion : List of African Spiritual Texts

Discussion in 'African Traditional Religion Study Group' started by kemetkind, Sep 23, 2006.

1. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

Below is a list of African traditional spiritual texts which may be potentially covered:

Post any desired additions to this thread and the group will find a diplomatic method of determining which to cover.

* = scheduled
    # = completed

* Metu Neter Vol I & II
    * Pert Em Heru
    Instructions of Ptah-Hotep
    The 42 Precepts of Ma'at (also known as the Negative Confessions )
    Knowing the Evolutions of Ra.
    Pulling No Punches The Religious Factor
    The Bhagavad Ghita
    The Upanisads
    The Mystical Journey from Jesus to Christ
    (all below are available at http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/index.htm)

1 The Religious System of the Amazulu
    2 Specimens of Bushman Folklore
    3 South African Folk-Tales
    4 Xhosa Folk Tales
    5 Myths and Legends of the Bantu
    6 Myths of Ífè
    7 Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort
    8 At the Back of the Black Man's Mind
    9 Folk Stories from Southern Nigeria
    10 Fetichism in West Africa
    11 Hausa Folklore
    12 Woman's Mysteries of a Primitive People
    13 The Yoruba Speaking Peoples
    14 Drums and Shadows
    15 Jamaica Anansi Stories
    16 The Holy Piby
    17 Last of the Voudoos
    18 New Orleans Superstitions
    19 Voodoo and Obeahs
    20 Psychic Phenomena of Jamaica

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    lol @ # = completed ... whew ... it'll be awhile before we see one of those ... lol

But it's good to know what it's going to look like when we get there ... :love:

:heart:

Destee

3. ANUK_AUSAR

ANUK_AUSAR Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to add "The Upanisads" for your consideration as well. I'm thinking of beginning a series of essays on the subjects of the Hindu scriptures. Pending the formation of a forum for this discussion, I will begin placing them in the general Spirituality Forum.

Hetep.

4. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Anuk - added The Upanisads to the list...also added Ashby's book...The Mystical Journey from Jesus to Christ.

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Many of the books we will look at are not strictly what one would call "scriptures." I started a thread in the general spirituality forum about what constititutes scripture but it did not get too many responses.

One might think that we would want to have a clear definition for an endeaver such as ours but maybe not. Since all manuscripts, whether they are considered scripture or not, were written by men then translated, edited, aompiled and versioned by more men the question is why do we even differentiate between scripture and non scripture?

I have told this story before elsewhere when one day I was feeling particularly depressed. Solomon Burke's song "Down in the Valley" came up on my playlist. As I listened to the words of that unabashedly secular song my spirits lifted because I began to see my emotions from a cosmic perspective. I became aware of mySelf in a universe where others had been through the same valley and had come out and I knew that I would come out too. In that moment that somg became for me the infallable, inerrant and inspired word of the living God.

Given that experience I see that we can not artificial put limitations on the Creator's ability to speak to us. His words are not subject to the approval of the Nicean Council.

Does that mean anything goes? From a personal perspective, yes. But collectively, we need to be able to make a connecttion between our own hearts and what we read in a book before we share what is in that book with others. Otherwise what's in the book is just a dead letter.