Black People : List Companies that had a NO BLACKS ALLOWED policy, that we patronize now

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Can you name companies that historically had NO BLACKS ALLOWED policies, but gladly take our money now ... who we gladly give our money to now.

Waffle House comes to mind, I've heard tell that Black Folk couldn't go in there, in days gone by.

I was talking with an Elder Sister recently, 90+ years old, and she was telling me that Parisians had a policy where Blacks could shop, but they couldn't try on any clothing or hats (before buying).

I think it would be good for us to know the companies we patronize, that just a few years ago, refused to serve Black People properly.

Please Share. Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    we would be better served finding out all the brands that the koch brothers own and boycotting them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

We can do that too Brother James ... uuhhhh ... preferably in a thread titled for that purpose ... :look:

:lol: ... i love you ... :love:

Destee

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Matter of fact Brother James ... being the Elder that you are ... you're in a great position to share some of these company names with us. You've seen more than most of us, and I think part of their success at overwhelming us ... is to get us to forget what really went down ... acting as if these same companies today, with an almost black person in the commercial, is the way they've always been ... in essence, fooling the youth ... if not for the words, accounts, and memories of those who know better.

You should be sharing in this thread ... some good stuff ... instead of making me wanna hit you with Queen's hammer ... :hammer: ... :lol:

Love You! :kiss:

Destee

5. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Good thread.

I would think that most all companies that are over 40 years old would fall into that category. Especially if they where southern based or had locations in the south. But specifically, I don't know. I know Dennys had issues for a while with serving Black people.

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank You Brother Full Speed,

Yes, we could probably get an abstract picture that way, figuring all companies over 40 years, but I think we need to go one further ... and name them.

40 years you say ... gosh ... that's not long ago ... but they want us now ... interesting.

Yes, I believe you're right with Denny's ... great addition to the list ... Thanks! :toast:

Yeah ... i wanna know their names ... say them out loud ... put them into our consciousness ... clearly ... so we can be moved to act differently, should we desire.

I Love The Possibilities! Thanks!

Destee

7. bientempo

bientempo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dominican Republic
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hum

What would be the validity of such a list? Going to organize boycotts on them now? Hit up for reparations?

just curious, as this is an North American thing. But yea would guess that FullSpeed's shotgun approach would work.

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    These discriminatory practices weren't individual store policies, they were the laws of Jim Crow....in the South, no Black woman could try on a dress or shoes in a store.

And when stores or restaurants DID open service to Black people, they were served at a separate entrance (in the back) or at a side window or had to WAIT while all the WHITE customers had been served FIRST.

Black people had to move OFF the sidewalk when White people were approaching.

In movie theaters, Blacks had to sit away in the balcony. (and it was called "N!gg3r Heaven" or the "Buzzard's Nest")

Even blood for donations were labeled by race.

In New Orleans, when prostitution was legal in the area called "Storeyville," even the prostitutes were segregated by the "Color Codes" of LA: Mulatto, Quadroon, Octoroon......and then the White prostitutes.

And like Bro. Fullspeed said...ANY store/chain over 40 years most likely barred Black people at some time.

The thing is NOT that they ONCE had these policies but that many of these same stores and chains STILL have racist attitudes and practices towards Black customers and employees.

But, as for a List:

...Many Jewish-owned stores like ALTMAN'S and MAY COHEN'S and some others have long histories of racism towards Blacks.

T.G. & Y

WALGREEN'S

ROSE'S

S.H. KRESS......and the list goes ON.....

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ....And the famous COTTON CLUB in NY was a prime example.

Black entertainers could perform there and the chorus girls were Black (LIGHT Black).....But generally Black people could not ENTER the Cotton Club as customers.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    newyorkers
    2009-05-25 14:15:00
    The New Continental: NO BLACKS ALLOWED

[​IMG]

So I work at a restaurant job, and like most restaurant jobs, bartenders and servers usually opt for a drink after work. Unlike most, I hate to look like I'm at work when I leave, so unlike the people I'm hanging with who are still wearing their bbq-sauce smelling black jeans and labeled button-down shirts, I changed into a T-Shirt and shorts, a baseball cap and sneakers.

We wanted a place to drink cheap. I vowed not to go into Continental at Astor Place years ago, because even though it's cheap, it's a ****hole. One of my coworkers convinced me to go in because it was remodeled. So we did.

The doorman lets us in, we haven't ordered a drink yet. A group of friends call me in need of directions, so I leave so that I can speak to him on my cell phone. And then on the way back in the owner sees me, and tells the doorman I'm not allowed in.

"I'm sorry," the doorman tells me. "My boss said I made a bad call letting you in."

"What do you mean?"

"We have a dress code here. You have a sideways cap and baggy shorts."

At this point, I understand how clubs do what they can to control the climate at places. The rules against baseball caps and sneakers, etc. are generally to keep out a crowd they don't want. Mot recently, as I waited to meet people for a newyorkers meetup that no one attended, I was told by a doorman that I could wear my cap forward or backward, not sideways, and I did so accordingly. I have no problem with rules. So I compromise and respond: "Where is your dress code written? I can remove the cap and I have a change of clothes inside."

"We can't do it. It's about a general vibe."

My eyes are fighting not to roll out of their sockets at this point. I tell the doorman I am going in to get my things. As I go inside to grab my bag and my friends, the owner GRABS me and asks me "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to get my things."

"You wait here. I'll get your friends and your things. You don't run this place."

What. The. ****?

My friends were both White. They apparently were wearing trendy "East Village" attire that consisted of Black jeans that stained of spilled mayo and black shirts with a patch that indicated that they worked at a restaurant that can be found in Times Square. The owner had nothing against what they were wearing, but when I repeated that I had that same exact uniform and could change into it, he repeated: "It's about the vibe. We have a regular clientele here. Once you're out, you're out. There are thousands of clubs in New York City"

As I waited on the sidelines boiling about this, I saw two other black men get ejected, one being in the group of my friends that came to meet us there. Unlike myself, he wore his complete work uniform. No cap, no sneakers, no "baggy pants." He wasn't allowed in and when asked why, the doorman gave no real reason.

We waited around a bit pissed. Myself feeling humiliated. I grew up in Philly came to New York. I don't experience racism to the level of a lot of my friends in different areas and didn't see myself getting kicked out of a bar for being Black as anything I'd experience in my lifetime. Not to mention being grabbed up like I was some sort of thug as I tried to go back inside to collect my POSSESSIONS.

Just as we'd given up talking to the doorman (who is Black, btw, wouldn't make eye contact because he knew what a self-hating ******* he was for not walking off the job that very night, but that's another issue entirely), we left and went to "Cheap Shots" which was a block or so away. As we left, I saw a White guy completely wasted (as opposed to me that only had two beers) walk in with a sideways baseball cap, hightop sneakers, and shorts that were so identical to mine, I feel like it was fateful sign of the obvious. This guy dressed just like me, was completely hammered, and was white. He was let in by the doorman and the owner watched him go by.

I asked the doorman what the difference between that guy and me was. He gave no response.

I'm writing this for several reasons:
    1.) I want to let everyone (especially people of color) not to ever support this place.

2.) I want to know what my options are legally against this place.

3.) I want to document these acts on video and anyone willing to help me with a hidden camera type sting (or knows who could help me do this). Thought about calling Shame on You, but I don't know if that would work well. I wanna put these guys on blast via email forwards, Youtube, TV, the whole works. It's ridiculous.

4.) I am making it my goal to do everything within my power to see that this place goes under. Everything. And I realize it's a New York "staple," and that's why the fight means so much more to me. Racist, pretentious ********.
    I'm far too nice a person, and I tip too generously to deal with this kind of bull****.

http://community.livejournal.com/newyorkers/5066337.html