Black Positive People : Links with Africa are forged anew

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
from the article:

"Never before has tracing ancestry been so easy, the Slave Descendants Freedom Society founder said..

Even if there isn't documentation of the slave trade, there are other clues. The Freedom Society is affiliated with Family Tree DNA, which keeps a database and notifies those who participate if there's a match, he said.

Black Americans might find distant relatives they never knew about in Africa or in America — the result of slave families that were torn apart, he said.

"You don't think that leaves a void from generation to generation? Of course it does," he said. "We try to enlighten people and encourage people to reconnect those families, not only in America but around the world."

What a brilliant initiative!! Thanks for Sharing this, Sister FaithSoul~

Zulile

Jun 24, 2007
Occupation
HR/Finance
Although.. thinking about it.. how many would really like to know - and if they successfully traced their roots.. what to do with that information.. hmmmm :?:

FaithSoulSistah

Oct 20, 2007
Zulile said:
Although.. thinking about it.. how many would really like to know - and if they successfully traced their roots.. what to do with that information.. hmmmm :?:

Well I think the DNA can give general results. But specific people probably have to be found the hard way. You know going through the family tree researching birth and death records, etc. I was planning to do a DNA test to see where in Africa my roots lie. Africa is a big place you know. Right now I have no clue and that is proably true for most AA. But I have to do more research on that because there are different types of tests out there. I'm leaning toward the one from the program African American Lives though.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/

http://www.africanancestry.com/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HODEE Black Money Business Jobs : ALL OVER AMERICA THOUSANDS OF OPEN AMAZON JOBS ( few thousand ) & LINKS = MAKE THAT MONEY :cool: Black Money Business Jobs 14
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - LINKS Black People Open Forum 2
Destee Food Discussion : Testing Posting Links in Food Discussion Forum Food Discussion and Recipes 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Apostle Paul Links with the Herod's (Arabs) AACOOLDRE 0
Destee Support : New Feature : Your Links will Bring the Text and Image Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 9
Clyde C Coger Jr Food Discussion : New study links protein in wheat to the inflammation of chronic health conditions Food Discussion and Recipes 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Ten commandments & the links with Egyptian Laws AACOOLDRE 0
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : HOW St. Paul links all up in this twisted Love Triangle. AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Scribes in the Ancient Egyptian Schools: links with Psalms & Proverbs AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : New Report Links Fibroids, Respiratory Illnesses To Toxic Chemicals In Many Black Hair Products Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 7
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : How OT King Saul links with NT Apostle Paul? AACOOLDRE 0
Inanna Support : Posting Links on Profile Pages Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 4
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Letter of Jude: Links with Rev 11 & Venus AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : King's last apocalyptic Sermon:links with John Brown AACOOLDRE 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Origin of the Zodiac: links/roots of Religion AACOOLDRE 1
VannDigitalNetworks Support : Can't Post Links... Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 16
RAPTOR Black People : Britain's 'Daily Mail' Reports on Russian Attack on British Empire Nazi Links Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Uganda : Culture war: Film links U.S. Evangelicals to intolerance against gays in Uganda Uganda 7
MsInterpret Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Study Links Hair Relaxers to Fibroid Tumors And Early Puberty Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 10
dunwiddat Violaters / Violations : dunwiddat - what's up with the click handler links? Violators and Violations (Possible Ones) 19
Feather Destee Network : (Links) Other African American Sites Destee Network : 5
MsInterpret Links are appearing that I did not add Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions 6
K Homeopathic Links Black Health and Wellness 0
Destee Destee Network : Destee Network - Add Your Links! Destee Network : 4
L Black People : CDC 2009 Hurricane Links Black People Open Forum 0
river Destee Network : For Those of You Who Have a Links Page Destee Network : 6
A Destee Network : Modern Black Nile Valley communities links Destee Network : 2
G Black Spirituality Religion : Metasaience-I need your views about these links Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 4
G Destee Network : King god Mumia Links...and then some Destee Network : 0
G Destee Network : Black Links Destee Network : 0
river Black People : truetothecause links for you Black People Open Forum 4
D Black Children : Study links ethnic pride, teens' outlook Black Children 1
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : The Essene & Egyptian Links AACOOLDRE 0
PatriceCQueen Black People : check these links out Black People Open Forum 1
S Black People : Where the links at??? Black People Open Forum 2
$$RICH$$ Black Poetry : LINKS Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
Isaiah Pan Africanism : AFRO ARGENTINOS - PICTURE ESSAY AND LINKS THAT DON'T WORK... African American History Culture 3
anAfrican Science and Technology : Links of Interest Science and Technology 4
Isaiah AINT I A WOMAN LINKS.... Honoring Black Ancestors 1
M Destee Network : A couple of links yall might like Destee Network : 5
I Black People : Schwarzenegger: A larger story. , Links Enron, Ken Lay, and MASSIVE debt & deception Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : looking for directory/links for afrocentric schools Black People Open Forum 1
Bluewater Black Haiku : Two Links Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
J Black Authors : book on links between black and native americans Short Stories - Authors - Writing 1
J Pan Africanism : black and native american links black indians African American History Culture 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Travel : For Black Americans, a Heritage Trip to West Africa Can Be Life-Changing Black Travel 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : Scientists say thousands of years ago West Africans migrated to east and southern Africa via Zambia Zané Lombard Science and Technology 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : ‘The Next Jihad': Evangelical leader, rabbi warn about 'Christian genocide’ in Africa All Things Africa 21
OldSoul Black People : The 200,000-year-old city found in Southern Africa may rewrite history Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : CONSCIOUSNESS RAISING ONLINE - Oct 18, 2020 - What is the original name of Africa? Black People Open Forum 0