Black People : LIGHT-SKINNED BLACK PRIVILEGE: AN INTERESTING CONCEPT, THOUGH PATENTLY ABSURD...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Reading the post of one of our esteemed members in that Long Hair/Light Skin thread, I could not believe my eyes... She said words to the effect that light-skinned Blacks did not want to "give up their privilege" of being light-skinned... WHAT???????! Who extended Light-Skinned Blacks this privilege!!!???

I don't want to belabor our ages-old issues about self-identity, but this kind of fanstastical notion, fostered mainly by darker-skinned brothers and sisters, means some of us need to be debriefed and disabused... How and where on earth has this kind of nonsense become a truism in our national and international psyche???

If there is such a privilege, it is a privilege extended to lighter-skinned Blacks by Darker Skinned Blacks, because White man don't give a **** WHAT complexion you are... He didn't care when Lena Horne went to try on them shoes that left her with bad feet all her life, and he didn't care when he locked up Malcolm and Elijah, or TRIED to prohibit Adam Clayton Powell from eating in the Congressional Dining Room... He didn't extend Walter White(who was absolutely WHITE - not damned near white)no privileges when he went to investigate the Elaine Arkansas Massacre, and they found out he was Black... He narrowly escaped with his life, but were he, say Tantrum's complexion...

Again, only folks extending lighter-skinned Blacks any kind of privilege are Darker skinned Africans, and Darker-Skinned Africans are the ones bringing all the drama about the very privileges THEY are extending to light-skinned Blacks... That is NOT to say that light-skinned Blacks are not unconsciously programmed to be more accommodating to a lighter-skinned person, but they aren't, in all likelihood, the one's who've got a problem with it, since they benefit from it...

I've read a lot of stuff at Destees that absolutely floors me, and that statement was just one of them... Another pronouncement that is constantly made at the forum is the White Man keeps us divided... No HELL HE DON'T!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEE keep ourselves divided - and we've been doing it in one form or another for thousands of years before we ever met a white man... We started the whole Totemic system, and we started the whole Tribal system... Only we are all too happy to claim the totemic system, and all of it's positive implications, and reject the tribal system, and all it's negative implications...

I would that we would be more secure in ourselves and our own identity - again African People - for better or for worse... Again, for better or worse... Accept me as I am, or leave me alone... When we judge another man, we impute an even harsher judgement upon ourselves...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12

I really think we blame
    White people for everything
    I mean for the downfall of all
    That we say and do
    It seems that we have to put the white man
    In it somehow I say that I agree with you
    I feel you the white man doesnt keep us divided
    We keep ourselves divided

3. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Uhhhh....didn't we just have this thread? Not that there isn't some truth in your post but why on earth start a brand new one????

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister, you may be right, but I thought that with the cacophony of sound on that other thread, that this is an issue I wanted us to address... I believe I said that I didn't want to belabor the identity issues we have, but there is a need for us to explode a lot of the fantastical mythology that exists within our communities... Hence, this whole thing about light-skinned Black supposedly having it better than dark-skinned Blacks... That is a whole other issue apart from us having personal preferences...

It is our choice to deal with this thread - and our obvious crippling issues - or move on... The fact is, this garbage will continue to resurface and resurface until we finally, and at last, bring some closure to it by casting out our conditioning... Saying that Hallie Berry's got it easier than Tracy Chapman in this White Supremacist world is a lotta BULL... It is said by those who aint gotta walk in her shoes... I mean, does a Dark=Skinned African really KNOW Hallie has it easier than Tracy, or are they ASSUMING that to be the case???
    We need to stop fostering that garbage and passing it on to our children...

Again, that's not WHite Man - even with all the evil he does - that's us, and we need to check ourselves...

Peace!
    isaiah

5. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812

Ok well.....that other thread seemed to address the issue....I mean at least it was implied. You're mentioning people like Halle Berry...who is MIXED not Black. Under the white/nonblack 'supremacy' regime where the lightest are on top and the darkest on the bottom, she would in fact be given preferential treatment over Tracy or Oprah. That's by design. Nonblacks traditionally create and use those types to work against the community and then destroy them once it's over.....so, in that sense, Halle would never occupy the "high" status of a blond haired/blue-eyed/pale-skinned individual but would also never occupy the "low" status of an African/charcoal-toned person either. Who's imagining otherwise?

6. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12

:welldone: Zay! :welldone:

7. IfUComeSoftly

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    Will we please stop perpetuating this BS ideology that a person's skin color determines their status in society... that is not the case? More often than not the socioenomic status determines all...

and just a question... when you think of the most powerful Blacks in the U.S.... are the vast majority of them of a darker hue? Doesn’t that blow this whole privileged thing out the water........? Just a question....

it's all love people...... just remember.... other people will NEVER look past something that WE cannot look past. Why do we continue to highlight the 'problem' (using that lightly because it ain't a problem to me) and wonder why it's still an 'issue'!!!!! Let's let this go and move on!

8. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812

I have not found that to be the case. I didn't say that darker Blacks were not in power positions, but that is not generally the case. Typically, whenever BLACKS of whatever hue are in true "power positions", they have been carefully selected so as not to upset the status quo. Rice and Powell are textbook examples of that. For the record, this issue isn't necessarily limited to economic standing.....this is also very much a social issue. I'm going to emphasize this example again to support my position....Black people have FUNCTIONING definitions of "good" and "bad" hair. Now, if you really believe what you're saying, then you will need me to explain those terms to you. Should I elaborate for you? Any time people are able to make presumptions about what how they OUGHT to be perceived status-wise, then you know you're are dealing with a certain reality.....an ugly one, but a real one. Noone who benefits from it will have a problem with it.

9. IfUComeSoftly

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    i never addressed what any one person said. I was generally speaking.....

and no i am well aware of the generalized definition of 'good' and 'bad' hair... i just don't buy into it...

it's all negroid hair anyway.... jmho

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.