Black People : LIFE-TRANSFORMING MOMENTS...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Some of you will have to THINK about this question, and others will find the answer jumps right out at them as if it happened a moment ago, but in each of our lives is a moment(s) that defines us in our own minds...

That moment might define us in totality, or it might define certain qualities which we personally possess, but did not know we possessed until that Life-transforming Moment.

It may define you as a good lover or bad one, or as a leader or follower... It is a moment that transformed your life, and set it on it's present course, for better or worse... Have you thought about it, and can you name it???

For myself, it happened as a 12-year old child playing drums in my church on an April sunday. I got carried away - yes, I admit to getting carried away - and started to do my Earl Young disco, Elvin Jones jazz piece on my kit, and got reprimanded for it by my God Mother... It was so embarrassing and humiliating, that I got up, and walked out of the church never to return.

Believe it or not, I think of this moment as transforming for me, because I was asserting principle over tradition and taboo at this early stage of my life... The tradition was, of course, never disrespect your elders... The taboo was never be remonstrative against your elders in God's sanctuary... The principle was my elders have no right to be disrespectful of me, and I had the right to protest against them if they were, because there is only ONE God... I have rarely, if ever, turned my back on that principle in the face of some pretty daunting circumstances in the years since then... Thus, I think of this particular moment as pretty transformative...

What are some of your more transformational moments?

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    LIfe transforming moment..
    when i realized that there were people out there that actually graduated high school.. an dshortly after that I learned that college was not a camp.. after you graduate.. but somehting you have worked hard for all your life unknowingly.. and that I didnt have to woork at the local food lion liek the rest of my family.. or farm. There were things that we as people did that, they could make more money and secure a proper family unit!
    From then on i knew what i had to do..

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Glad you survived that, brother Kente! Whew!

I was in an accident once where in order keep from going underneath a truck, I slammed on my brakes sending me into a spin, and it was the guard rail that kept me from going over the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway... Unfortunately, that has not "transformed" your brother's crazy driving ways...(smile!) I hope y'all aint got to read about me in Jet one of these days(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Poetic, now that's some deep stuff, man... Graduating highschool as a life-transforming event, hmmmm...

Now, this Y generation you once explained to me, is graduating High School, or living past 21, pretty much seen as a triumph against the prevailing norm???

In my generation, if we did not graduate high school, we were considered nothing but a bum and a dummy... When I missed a year of school due to some bureaucratic bungling with a transfer, I cried at the thought that I would not graduate high school ON TIME - serious!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Peace brother ...Isaiah

BUt i had to say it,
    Cry! Baby Cry! :pie: :hearts4: Yea.. see, thats what i thought graduate highschool and im good rite! not.. lmao.. smh!

6. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    This powerful, thought provoking piece/peace has transformed me.

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

How so, my brother???(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62

Yeah, I cried, because I knew my family and friends would be mad disappointed in me... I REALLY cared about their opinions, because in those days we had a village-like mentality in our neighborhoods, and it got around that so-and-so aint nothin' but a high school drop-out, a no-count lil boy!(smile!) He aint gone 'mount to nuthin' - don't want 'em 'round mah daughter!(smile!) Man, ya life was ovah without dat sheepskin!

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. 1poetsought

1poetsought Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Poet
    Ratings:
    +606
    I am moved by the spirit of your fortitude, that's all.

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Thank you, 1POETSOUGHT! What personal experience made you the profound writer and poet that you've become?

Peace!
    Isaiah