Black Women : Life Choices

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by river, Dec 3, 2005.

?

Which of the two scenarios would be hardier to deal with?

1. The first

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. The second

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In many if not most cases it's not even about whether or not you're going to work = you have to bring something to the table to make ends meet.

But when it comes to pursuing a career - I mean really putting a great deal of evergy into climbing right to the top we often have to rule family out or let our family go to neglect.

So what is more important to you: family or career?

Scnario 1
    You are 50 years old and tears are running down your cheeks as you watch your fourth child graduate from graduate school. suddenly you feel empty. Noone notices when your tears of joy turn into tears of regret as you think of all the dreams and potential you sacrificed.

Scenario 2
    Your at the airport on your way to a multimillion dollar corporate project when the news announcer reports a nearby tornado that leaves the plane grounded until the danger is past. You follow the crowd to the phone bank to call loved ones to let them know you're okay. You pick up the phone and then realize you have no one to call.

Which of these would be harder for you to deal with?

2. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Is this question too deep for y'sll?

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Sistas!

The brothers are over in their forum kicking serious tail. I thought this topic would engender good discussion but y'all more interested in discussing non issues.

Why do we complain when the brothas say they'd rather have Caribbean mates than African-American ones when truth is we steer clear of anything that approaches a worthwhile conversation?

Now wake up, sistas! I want your opinions, thoughts and feelings about this subject which will at one time or another affect all of us.

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I could not deal with the first option at all. My attitude is that I can find or meet a woman who has the energy and movement that I do...so the idea of loneliness to that degree isn't something I see.

Regret is something I can not deal with. I can not conceive of my life being wasted to that degree. It's not like I would ever pursue corporate anything...I'm more into having my own business or producing income from my own abilities.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Thanks brotha Keita.

I still think the sistas could really throw down a tight flow here, but your comments are very welcome.

I generally don't like to put in the first opinion when I start a topic because it could affect the way others feel like they have to answer since I started the discussion, and here I don't want anyone to feel like they have to answer in a certain way. Just answer that's all. Don't be shy.

6. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I voted but as far as the first one goes.....I can't see that.....it would have to be an extremely selfish and ungrateful parent to look at their life as wasted when they're standing there watching their last child Graduate from Graduate school....to me my kids are three of the things that make life worth living....I dream of the day I see my kids graduate and succeed and have families of their own.....sacrificing my life and some of the things I want to do for the betterment of my kids is not a waste it's an honor I can't see it any other way....I'd give my soul for my children so missing out on some things in life because they were born when I was young is just part of it no big loss because what I got in that trade is worth more than anything I could ever imagine....If you're not willing to put yourself in the background in order to put your kids first then you aren't a good parent......

On the second deal....I'd rather have a mediocre paying job and have someone that I knew cared about me than make millions but be all alone....again it goes back to the kid deal....I'd rather be broke (like I am now) and have my kids and know they love me and I love them than make hundreds of millions of dollars and not have my kids........but that's just me...

MississippiRed

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Brotha Red.

Thanks for that outstanding response.

Thatt's the kind of honest opening up I'm looking for.

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    The other thing is at the age of say 50, a person usually done had their children..the children are grown and off on their own...and if the 50 year old has been taking care of themselves, then that's a good age for a new life start. The grown children are going out ot get theirs, so go out and get yours now.

9. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290

That's one way of doing it.

10. QUEEN ABENA

QUEEN ABENA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    :hi: Sister River

Scenario 2 is not an option for me. I couldnt see myself leaving my baby to raise herself while im out :run: after the $$$$$$.

My child is priority, and my Ultimate goal in life is to see that she blossoms into a Beautiful Woman with a Loving and caring nature not so focused on Big Money and materialistic things which is only temporary happiness.

I would rather sacrifice and Live Richly with Love :love: , than to Die Rich and alone :cry: