Liberia : Liberia, What can be done?

Hey brotha Full s[eed,

I think it is brilliant that you first approach the leaders of the various groups. They are the ones who already have the trust and loyalty of their respective groups so if you gain their cooperation you already have the cooperation of those who follow them. Also it is important that these leaders don't see our efforts to help as a threat to their position of authority. If we don't keep this in mind then we are no different from colonists and will deserve to be treated as such.

For decades we have been implored to give money to help the poor starving children in Africa and India. Thirty or forty years later the children are still starving and the people in need of perpetual help. Why? Becasue they were never taught to help themselves.

That is incredibly insightful. I have seen the same issue pop up when someone tries to organize churches to accomplish something within the Black community. If the church leadership sees anything as a threat to their authourity or that might cause his members to join another church, that leader either will not participate or will even sabotage the effort.

Not only do we need to implement the "teach a man to fish" principle, we need to understand the dynamics that come into play when in fighting prevents fishing altogether. Right now, they can't focus on fishing. They have to focus on security and concern over rather they will be attacked by an enemy. There is no effort being placed on developing modern infrastructure or seeking excellence, they have to focus on basic day to day survival.

The thing that concerns me most about us, is that threads like this get so very little input or feedback. It seems that if there is no drama or controversy involved there's not much participation. Personally, I see liberia as a valid option for those interested in repatriation if a plan such as this where to be implemented to stop the in fighting and develop the infrastructure, national autonomy, economy, and stability. These things will have to be established in any nation that's established under principles of Black Nationalism anyway. I personally don't consider myself a Black Nationalist, but I do strongly believe that we should do what we can to help our brothers and sisters in Liberia who are US...they have the exact same history as us as decendents of African Slaves held captive in America. The only difference is that they went, we stayed. If our "outside looking in" insight can help as well as any resources we might be able to bring to the table to support a recovery, we should be willing to do that.

I think some might be more interested in healing ourselves and our neighborhoods before we are in a position to help our brothers and sisters in Liberia. That is certainly a valid point. We need a comprehensive plan to deal with our own porblems here in America and for the moment, there isn't one. We have to tackle these issues rather than sit around complaining about them and infighting and other counter-productive actions.

Hey brotha Full s[eed,

I think it is brilliant that you first approach the leaders of the various groups. They are the ones who already have the trust and loyalty of their respective groups so if you gain their cooperation you already have the cooperation of those who follow them. Also it is important that these leaders don't see our efforts to help as a threat to their position of authority. If we don't keep this in mind then we are no different from colonists and will deserve to be treated as such.

For decades we have been implored to give money to help the poor starving children in Africa and India. Thirty or forty years later the children are still starving and the people in need of perpetual help. Why? Becasue they were never taught to help themselves.

What you say is imprtant but one differnce I would suggest, IMHO,
instead of speaking to the leaders, the masses need a form of communication as well, to voice thier concerns

the real aplication of pan Africanism is not difficult in lieu of the present communications technology available to us and the amount of discretionary capital we have right here.

and like Haiti they have had corruput leaders left and right and realy the masses have never realy had a voice

for instance, right now, right this minute can we honeslty name four black American websites, porgressive websites that keep us aware of our sisters and brothers situation there?

or at least 4 sites from the motherland that we can trust to tell us the truth without corproate influence?

we realy need to know the full story!

The masses need a cogent and free from stress modality to voice their concerns

The AU needs to take a stronger roll and stop being so dependant on the World bank and the IMF

We need to take a serious look at TransAfrica, is it effective in the sutuations here and what is needed for us to make it more effective

the ideology of pan Africanism can be mutiplied just like that stuff we hate like "network maketing" and those doggone "pyramid schemes"

instead of each 5 reach five for greed and material gain,
we can use social networking

with the same each five reach five concept to spread life preserving and sustaining ideologies,

that have a greater reward then material wealth,
the health and well being of ones extended family,
and that is worth more then money!

Last night, I was watching some missionary footage of Liberia. The nation is really bad off. The infrastructure is destroyed, outside the major cities there is very little running water and bathrooms, and electricity is very rare. The roads are so bad that a 100 mile trip takes over 8 hours in many cases.

The missionaries were going around the country with well digging equipment digging wells and establishing churches. They have dug nearly 150 wells in villigages that had no wells and no consistent source of clean water. I realize most here will criticize the presence of those missionaries, but to see the look on their faces when the missionaries show up, and dig wells to reach water that was there all along, but not accessible to them previously.

The country is beautiful. But the economy is in shambles. The unemployment rate is over 80%. I understand that the current president is a Harvard educated banker and administrator is trying to turn things around by reducing corruption and attracting foriegn investments.

I am wondering what would it take to make Liberia into a successful, independent, self-sustaining nation capable of attracting African Americans and a type of society we could be proud of?

I am interested in a real conversation on this topic. One that I can learn the source of the problems there and understand more about our brothers and sisters who went their after slavery. Any information on Liberia, its history, or insight into how to correct its problems would be greatly appreciated.
What can be done?
The first thing to do is develop a strong economic system in order to establish a sewage and water treatment system,. Than focus on the infrastructure,and last technology.
They should allow us to setup businesses that will handle these things, and then use foreign aid to develop employment and training programs to help inspire the spirit of entrepreneurship and self sufficient skills.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back