Black People : Liberia, What can be done?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Last night, I was watching some missionary footage of Liberia. The nation is really bad off. The infrastructure is destroyed, outside the major cities there is very little running water and bathrooms, and electricity is very rare. The roads are so bad that a 100 mile trip takes over 8 hours in many cases.

The missionaries were going around the country with well digging equipment digging wells and establishing churches. They have dug nearly 150 wells in villigages that had no wells and no consistent source of clean water. I realize most here will criticize the presence of those missionaries, but to see the look on their faces when the missionaries show up, and dig wells to reach water that was there all along, but not accessible to them previously.

The country is beautiful. But the economy is in shambles. The unemployment rate is over 80%. I understand that the current president is a Harvard educated banker and administrator is trying to turn things around by reducing corruption and attracting foriegn investments.

I am wondering what would it take to make Liberia into a successful, independent, self-sustaining nation capable of attracting African Americans and a type of society we could be proud of?

I am interested in a real conversation on this topic. One that I can learn the source of the problems there and understand more about our brothers and sisters who went their after slavery. Any information on Liberia, its history, or insight into how to correct its problems would be greatly appreciated.

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    http://www.genocidewatch.org/images/Liberia_11_Aug_03_Taylor_Assails_U.S._in_Farewell_Speech2.pdf

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

This thread may be of some value, and here's hoping for a fruitful dialogue, here:

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65974

4. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Thanks to the both of you for the insight. Both were informative.

IMO, this can be turned around but it would take a vision and a campaign to promote and implement that vision. The question is WHO can and will do it. I will skip the "who" for a moment and go to the "what", then the "how".

Approach leaders (not just one, but many) from each of the various indigneous groups, rebel groups, fractions, ethnic groups, etc and have them come to a vision conference. Put together a compelling multi-media presentation that vividely shows the condition of their nation, society, and culture. Next, with the power of multi-media show the vision of what we would like to see for our people and nation. Show pictures and videos of our children, happy, healthy, well educated, and pursuing excellence. Show us living in safe, secure neighborhoods with good infrastructure, electricity, water, air conditioning, nice homes, streets, sidewalks, block parties, technology, etc.

Next, show the various obstacles to the vision both internal and external. Demonstrate that in order to ever be capable of dealing with the external obstacles, we must first be capable of dealing with internal obstacles. The presentation should present various methods of conflict resolution and civil interaction. The democratic process and a representative government that protects its people, and promotes innovation and creativity.

The next part would be to show those leaders the vision of the future if they do nothing or continue on the path they are on. Then show the vision and the role they could play in that vision and the future of their nation and people.

Show them the natural resources the nation has and how those resources can be used to develop a thriving economy that offers opportunity for all. Show them how constant war, greed, and selfishness consumes resources, hinders societal improvement, and leaves uf vulnerable to external obstacles. Show them how to protect their autonomy and how to respond to external obstacles that might seek to disrupt our progress. Teach them how to communicate with opposition and to maintain a desire for common good of the nation rather than only themselves or their fraction.

Compell them to come together to improve the quality of life and to reach our potential as a people and a nation.

Give them specific action steps and a game plan to go back to their people with and a way to share the vision with their people.

Bring together Black industry experts from food production industries, construction, technology, etc. etc. etc. to assist in consulting on how to develop those industries, provide jobs in those industries (HUGE OPPORTUNITIE$ WOULD EXIST IN DEVELOPING THOSE INDUSTRIES)

IMO, a solid plan and signs that unprecedented unity and cooperation was the order of the day, foriegn investment (if desired) and international financial aid would be easily obtainable to finance projects to implement this plan. Autonomy could be protected and investments restricted to those who recognize the autonomy of the nation and people.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Sounds like a plan to me.

6. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    To be an actual plan, it needs more input that just one guy, because it will certainly take more than one guy to implement such a plan. So, in short order, step one is to solicit more input. I say short order to prevent procrastination. Then, develop the short and long term objectives for the nation. Present measureable mildstones that can show small accomplishments and successes to build upon. The next step is to produce the presentation and agenda for the vision conference. Then then with a good plan in hand, secure the funding for the conference itself. Then approach the leaders and set the stage.

I would really like to see more constructive feedback and critique on the feasibility of the plan as well as some folks who are actually interested in pursuing it or some type of plan.

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Again I say, ...'here's hoping for a fruitful dialogue, here.'

8. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045

IMO, those people who consider themselves Black Nationalist should have an interest in this and should be leading the charge to build an independent and autonomous Liberia. It would be encouraging to see some constructive input from them or an alternative plan if they would be at odds with this plan.

Bro. Clyde. what do you have to add to the plan or do you have any constructive critique of it?

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

I agree with your sentiments, and accept the plan on its face.

10. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Do you see yourself playing an active role in development and implementation of such a plan?

If so, what role would you be interested in?

Me personally, I would proablably be interested in drumming up the funding sources to support the effort. I think this is one of the more challenging aspects of such an endeavor, but one I think I would be willing to take an active role in.