Liberia : Liberia...and the slaves who returned to africa...

mkhaya lo'

Dec 1, 2001
Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Occupation
Journalist
Hi guys...i was wondering if there are any good websites or books I can read to more about the above subject...I actually never knew that Liberia was started by repatriated Slaves...like I said, I'm still learning a whole lot about Africa myself...all along in South Africa we were taught about the Boer war...European history and now in post apartheid i'm just finding there's so much knowledge to be acquired!!!! please help me..

lo'

ifasehun

May 11, 2003
I doubt you can find them abroad but a two volume book was written by a liberian professor that is a part of the original traditional royal family.

i will email my old university and see if i can get the exact name of the book set.

it details:

*role of repatraited africans in displacing continental africans.
*role of repatriated africans in destroying traditional rule.
*role of repatriated africans in helping white churches spread christianity
*role of repatriated africans in helping accentuate tribal differences between continental africans.
*role of repatriated africans in reselling land bought by marcus garvey to Firestone Tire company.
*role of repatriated africans and US black churches in divesting monies and selling rights to natural resources to white corporations worldwide.
*decline of traditional beliefs
*history of politics and leaders in liberia
*role of liberia in thwarting oganization of african unity
*role of liberia in supporting us imperialistic/military objectives in africa.
*us. training of liberian military and intellectual leaders.

its very good. the professor is very honest but BRUTALLY honest writer. he has a very good reputation for writings in journals etc..

its been so long since i was in college his name and the book escape me. my copies were stolen!

if you would like to pursue info on the author and title too - go to the website for Fisk University http://www.fisk.edu and email them asking:

name of professor that taught History of Liberia course (circa 90-92) and author of two volume book on Liberia.

araegba

Jul 21, 2003
Sis Lo,

Try going to the google search engine, and just type in
Liberia. The repatriated liberians are called "Americo-Liberians".
So you might try searching on that phrase as well.
Also check out soc.culture.africa and soc.culture.african.

Regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia coronavirus lockdown off to chaotic start Liberia 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia's Weah faces key test with protests over economy Liberia 4
Perfection Liberia : In Context Series: Self-Determination in Colonial Liberia and American Black Nationalism Liberia 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Pressure grows in Liberia over US charity in 'school rape' storm Liberia 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Liberia slaps travel bans on 15 people as it probes missing cash Liberia 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : Meet The Multi-millionaire Who Wants To Be President Of Liberia replacing Ellen Johnson Sirleaf Liberia 18
jamesfrmphilly Black People : from-detroit-to-liberia-why-i-left-america-to-find-home Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Liberia : EXCLUSIVE: LIBERIA'S VICE-PRESIDENT BACKS DONALD TRUMP ON FOREIGN AID CUTS Liberia 5
Destee Liberia : The Story of the Sirleaf Market Women's Fund of Liberia Liberia 1
jamesfrmphilly Liberia : War crimes court upholds 50 years for Liberia’s Charles Taylor Liberia 3
cherryblossom Liberia : Liberia, PA (Mercer County) Former Fugitive Slave Town Liberia 11
Full Speed Liberia : Liberia, What can be done? Liberia 16
Ankhur Liberia : President of Liberia rallies a wake up call about Vulture funds, exloiting Africa Liberia 1
jamesfrmphilly Liberia : miss liberia Liberia 1
P Liberia : Liberia sex-for-aid 'widespread' Liberia 9
K Liberia : war in liberia Liberia 0
Mad Skillz Liberia : Can democracy succeed in Liberia? Not if Pat Robertson has anything to do with it. Liberia 2
P Liberia : International soccer star, George Weah, runs for president of Liberia! Liberia 0
K Liberia : Reading on Liberia Liberia 1
Queenie Liberia : NEXT! America vs. Liberia Liberia 3
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves' African American History Culture 0
HODEE Black Entertainment : 2Pac - Black Cotton _ Why do we work like slaves sweatin' blades to an early grave Black Entertainment 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'The Slaves Dread New Year's Day the Worst': The Grim History of January 1 African American History Culture 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Harvard University sued over allegedly profiting from the earliest photos of American Slaves Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Perfection Black People Politics : Staged Freedom, Gimmicks & Parallels: 5 Arguments Showing How Blacks Are Sill Slaves Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Thomas Jefferson Owned Hundreds of Slaves—Now a Black Woman Will Run His Foundation African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Female slaves were forced to wear headwraps because white women were jealous Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Abraham Lincoln's Secret Visits to Slaves African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Mauritania : The abolitionist fighting to free Mauritania's slaves Mauritania 0
Destee African American History Culture : Is It Wrong to Mention Black People Owned Slaves? African American History Culture 15
dazania African American History Culture : Black Americans Were Never Slaves African American History Culture 38
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : The Ancestors Speak: A Conversation Between Former Slaves And Union General Sherman African American History Culture 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Bill O’Reilly says White House slaves ‘were well-fed and had decent lodgings’ Black People Politics 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Michelle Obama Keeps It Real: 'I Wake Up In a House Built By Slaves' Black People Open Forum 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : 'Dishonest' Book About Happy Slaves Pulled From Shelves Black Education / Schools 0
HODEE Black People : Textbook Company to Update Description of Slaves as ‘Workers’ After Criticism Black People Open Forum 3
AACOOLDRE Brother AACOOLDRE : Slaves were fed like Pigs AACOOLDRE 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Science and Technology : DNA analysis traces African slaves back to their roots Science and Technology 15
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Entertainment : Hollywood’s Blacks: Servants, Slaves, Ghetto Moms and Thugs Black Entertainment 19
crwn Black People : Who Brought the Slaves to America? Black People Open Forum 4
1poetsought Black Poetry : Mental Slaves Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 1
HODEE Black People : The Dirty Truth Is... I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew Black People Open Forum 7
rapchild Ghana : Slaves Castles in Ghana, West Africa. Ghana 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Descendants of slaves hold out against coal mining Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 234 years later, NH slaves are granted freedom Black People Open Forum 8
S Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Kanye West - New Slaves (Live on SNL) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : Kanye West Premieres "New Slaves" at Prada Fifth Ave. Audio Video Web Conferencing 13
cherryblossom Sierra Leone : Sierra Leone and the slaves who returned to Africa... Sierra Leone 7
F Africa : The Moors of North Africa and the White Slaves All Things Africa 17
ckoolbreez Black People : How Many Slaves Work 4 U? Black People Open Forum 5