Pan Africanism : Liberia...and the slaves who returned to africa...

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by mkhaya lo', Jul 30, 2003.

1. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys...i was wondering if there are any good websites or books I can read to more about the above subject...I actually never knew that Liberia was started by repatriated Slaves...like I said, I'm still learning a whole lot about Africa myself...all along in South Africa we were taught about the Boer war...European history and now in post apartheid i'm just finding there's so much knowledge to be acquired!!!! please help me..

lo'

2. ifasehun

ifasehun Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I doubt you can find them abroad but a two volume book was written by a liberian professor that is a part of the original traditional royal family.

i will email my old university and see if i can get the exact name of the book set.

it details:

*role of repatraited africans in displacing continental africans.
    *role of repatriated africans in destroying traditional rule.
    *role of repatriated africans in helping white churches spread christianity
    *role of repatriated africans in helping accentuate tribal differences between continental africans.
    *role of repatriated africans in reselling land bought by marcus garvey to Firestone Tire company.
    *role of repatriated africans and US black churches in divesting monies and selling rights to natural resources to white corporations worldwide.
    *decline of traditional beliefs
    *history of politics and leaders in liberia
    *role of liberia in thwarting oganization of african unity
    *role of liberia in supporting us imperialistic/military objectives in africa.
    *us. training of liberian military and intellectual leaders.

its very good. the professor is very honest but BRUTALLY honest writer. he has a very good reputation for writings in journals etc..

its been so long since i was in college his name and the book escape me. my copies were stolen!

if you would like to pursue info on the author and title too - go to the website for Fisk University http://www.fisk.edu and email them asking:

name of professor that taught History of Liberia course (circa 90-92) and author of two volume book on Liberia.

3. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    ifesehun, dont give away your age here!! but thank u! even if i dont get the actual books themselves i could read all that i can on what's written about it..

lo'

4. araegba

araegba Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Sis Lo,

Try going to the google search engine, and just type in
    Liberia. The repatriated liberians are called "Americo-Liberians".
    So you might try searching on that phrase as well.
    Also check out soc.culture.africa and soc.culture.african.

Regards

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Alums Vie To Lead Liberia
    By CAROLINE M. MCKAY, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER
    Published: Monday, September 19, 2011
    Harvard is a household name for politics—but not just in America.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Winston A. Tubman, two Harvard graduates who maintain strong ties to the University, are competing for the presidency of Liberia in an election to be held on Oct. 11.

Sirleaf, the current president of Liberia and a 1971 graduate of the Harvard Kennedy School, was the University’s Commencement speaker last spring.

Tubman, who earned a degree from Harvard Law School in 1966, returned to Cambridge last weekend for the Celebration of Black Alumni conference.

The conference, themed “Struggle and Progress: Leadership in the 21st Century,” brought together black Law School alumni from around the world for discussions and events. Tubman sat on a panel about the human rights agenda in Africa with other black leaders, including former Ambassador to Nigeria Walter C. Carrington.

In an interview Saturday, Tubman said he returned to Cambridge less than a month before his nation’s election because he believes Liberia’s relationship with Harvard is important for the country’s development.

Tubman explained that he hopes Liberia will become a place that young black professionals—like those graduating from Harvard—will consider as a potential location to live and work.

He said he hopes to “be able to reach out to all my friends and say ‘Look, I have this big job to do, and I need all the help from all my friends—including my influential powerful friends from Harvard.’”
    The relationship between Harvard and Liberia reaches back to the 19th century. Simon Greenleaf, a Harvard professor, drafted Liberia’s constitution in 1847. A little more than a century later, in 1951, Joseph R. Grimes, a graduate of the Law School, founded Liberia’s first law school.

Tubman said that Harvard and the U.S. feel a special bond to Liberia because of “the tie of blood”—a reference to the thousands of American slaves who returned to Liberia after emancipation....

continued here: http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2011/9/19/harvard-tubman-school-liberia/

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    The American Colonization Society (ACS), also known as the American Society for Colonizing the Free People of Color in the United States, emerged in 1816 as a national organization dedicated to promoting the manumission of the enslaved and the settlement of free blacks in West Africa, specifically in the colony of Liberia. The ACS transported approximately 12,000 blacks to Liberia over the course of its existence. ...

.....The society's program focused on purchasing and freeing slaves, paying their passage (and that of free blacks) to the west coast of Africa, and assisting them after their arrival there. The federal government provided some initial funding for the Society and helped the ACS purchase the Cape Mesurado area off the coast of West Africa which subsequently became the colony of Liberia. In 1830 the government ended its payments to the ACS; from then on the colonization program was financed exclusively by local and state branches and from churches. In 1838 the ACS adopted a new constitution, one in which the organization became a federation of state auxiliaries.

Between 1820 and 1831 nearly 3,000 black emigrants went to the ACS’s settlement in Liberia. By the mid 1830s though, negative reports from previous emigrants and improving economic conditions for blacks in the United States led to a decline in the Society’s ability to recruit new emigrants.
    In 1847, Liberia declared its independence from the American Colonization Society. As the only western-oriented nation on the African continent, Liberia attracted another 2,000 settlers between 1848 and 1860. It was inactive during the American Civil War as African Americans gained their freedom and thus saw no reason to emigrate...

COMPLETE HERE:

http://www.blackpast.org/?q=aah/american-colonization-society-1816-1964

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  9. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    I watched this documentary once. An easy 50 minute watch, or should I say hard for content? But not long at all and appears very informative.

It changed me. In specific the sequence of the boy who appears to be no more than 15 smoking crack I believe, and then speaking in detail of a woman he had raped at gunpoint.

It was also interesting for me to learn that when they were brought back to Africa, they immediately enslaved the Africans living there.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Does anyone have any information on RUNAWAY slaves going to Liberia?