Letting your babe know the 'word' now than later

dustyelbow

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 25, 2005
Let kids talk their way into better life

November 19, 2006
It's a staple of black comedy, the routine about the overindulgent white mother unable to control her children and the super-strict black mother with a too-tight rein on hers.

As little Johnny writhes and cusses on the grocery store floor, his white mom pleads with him in a calm voice to please, please behave.

Then, the joke goes, you've got the black mother. She snatches up Imani and Jamal before they even enter the store. Her lips barely moving, she mutters: Don't touch nothing, don't ask for nothing, don't say nothing.

These exaggerated tales of culturally distinct parenting styles are more than a stereotypical shtick.

Black parents, regardless of class, tend to issue more reprimands to their children than white parents, who tend to talk in more affirming and encouraging tones.

The scary part is that research also links a parent's communication style to the size of a child's vocabulary.

The child who is shushed more than he's encouraged to talk may well grow into a verbally illiterate young adult, ill-prepared for school and -- this is no hyperbole -- unprepared to be a productive member of society.

Most parents don't know, says University of Memphis education professor Kathy Cooter, that the number of words a child knows when she's 26 months old correlates to her academic success in -- get this -- the 10th grade.

I believe its not the NUMBER of WORDS, but the TONE of words and DEGREE of ENCOURAGEMENT that makes ALL the DIFFERENCE. Also in SINGLE PARENT ENVIRONMENTS most of the TALK can be DOWN RIGHT DISGUSTING to a CHILD. In a TWO ADULT HOME with STABILITY like SINGLE MOTHER and GRANDMOTHER or MAN and WOMAN in MARRIAGE or in contact over CHILD WELFARE MAKES A IMPROVED DIFFERENCE.

What's that saying.

TWO MINDS are better than ONE.

But I talk FOOLISH THINGS anyway.

letting your babe know...

do you all know what's wrong with child rearing today...YA'LL READ TOO MANY BOOKS...i've seen just as many BLACK parents plead with little johnny and susie to please stop screaming and jumping up and down in the stores[mommy will take you to toyland if you please be good please]give me a f%%kin brake,puuleeeze,sure you're gonna spoil em to a certain extent,but you have to let your kids know that there are RULES and amoung the first is[DON'T EVER TRY TO SHOW ME UP IN PUBLIC]kids today don't fear parent's authority,all that crap about what our parents did won't work today is just that..crap,you gotta start at birth[not when the child is seven]and not talking about poppin em everytime they do something,but as most of our parents did with[THE LOOK]if i thought about cutting up my mom would shoot me the look and case closed,but if you have to spank that butt,then spank it[children aren't stupid they know when they've crossed the line]but for heaven's sake stop listening to dr.phil and those other tv and book pimps and go talk to mom and grandma,they'll get it straight.

"]if i thought about cutting up my mom would shoot me the look and case closed,but if you have to spank that butt,then spank it[children aren't stupid they know when they've crossed the line]but for heaven's sake stop listening to dr.phil and those other tv and book pimps and go talk to mom and grandma,they'll get it straight."

Ashe to dat!!!
Queen Abena

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back