Black People : Letter to Oprah

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Jan 17, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    With Dual's permission, I am starting a thread discussing an idea he proposed in the 'Let's create our own power thread'. His post is below:

Dual Karnayn's Idea

Karma's Question

Quote:
    So what blueprints could be created to start being in the position of power of owning & operating television stations? What can the average individual black person do?

Dual's Response

I think a start would be for Oprah to buy ABC.

I trust her judgement.....

She's a pretty wise and level-headed woman so I think she would actually do good our image good with the type of programing she'd promote.

We seem to dominate cable stations like Comedy Central and HBO, but that's not what the majority of people watch. The majority of people in and outside of America watch major broadcast stations like NBC and ABC and that's where we need to focus.

http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39424

Now, the reason why I think this is a good idea is because one of the black mothers of my brother's social club (a group that caters to the social needs of special-needs kids), wrote a letter to Oprah talking about the club. Oprah wrote back personally. Now while it will be a bit of a wait to see what happens (hopefully the club will become nationally-recognized through that action), I think if Oprah did at least read it perhaps she would think about Dual's proposal.

Do you think that this is something that should be persued? If so, do you think the members here should send something collectively?

And who would you feel most comfortable jumpstarting these types of things? Should there be a vote among members to nominate who will be responsible with coordinating this?

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    deleted deleted deleted.

3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Sis....you're far too kind......

The only time I'll take credit for the idea is when we all get to meet Oprah personally....lol.

But right off the top of my head I can think of a few suggestions.

I believe Destee would do good to design the letter because that's her expertise.
    She's got some sort of designing business I believe.

Then we can get some of the colleged grads on here to put thier book-learning to use by laying out a descent proposal and plan of action for her.

But like I said, Oprah is a very wise woman so she probably already knows what to do and how the game is played.
    What she needs most is grassroots support from the Black and Liberal communities around the nation....and that's where we come in.

Deste.com is a pretty popular webside and we have thousands of members who pop in and out, if we explained and pushed the program long and hard enough I'm sure we could get those thousands of members to contact millions of others around the country to support her in her efforts.

Just about everybody....especially women....love Oprah so it shouldn't be too hard getting her support if we present the program properly.

Hell she already has a magazine that sells like mad, a broadcast channel is only the next step.

4. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Dual, I agree.

So maybe you can suggest this to her one-on-one (Contact Us, chat, etc.).

5. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i changed my post because i thought about her show. .usually oprah caters to whites on her show. she does stuff about black people sometimes but mainly rich celebrities, or she seems to only be concerned with women.all of her "experts are white" ii mean you cant find a black chef, personal trainer, or psychologist?, and personal trainers on theyre usually white. is she right for the job just cuz she is rich?

after all wasnt oprah responsible in part for george w bush becoming liked by the u.s.? does bush deserve to be on a black persons show? does her o" channel or her show ever dig deep into political issues?

6. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    Honestly, if we had a descent plan to present I wouldn't mind presenting it to her.
    I'm not a shy guy but I think it would be better presented to her by someone more articulate and educated than myself.

Therious

Lol.....that's proof that she's a shrewd businesswoman.

She knows what side her bread is buttered on and plays to her audience

White and wealthy people are the ones who made her rich, not common Black folk.
    Destee can't even get 10% of the folk on this site to pay $10 a month, let alone support her like whites support Oprah.

We have to have something to bring to the table like money or social support for her to take the chance of shifting/expanding her base.

7. karmashines

Ratings:
    +19
    Dual,

I think you are articulate enough to express yourself; you seem to express yourself quite well on here.

But as far as Therious's comments, do you think Oprah would understand the need to make the company, especially the heads black? I know legally you can't 'officially' make it black-only, but you can through marketing tactics. If she has a whole lot of white or non-black controlling it, even those she thinks are 'sympathetic' to race relations, then it would be just another BET.

However, I do believe Oprah has some concern for her black identity. I am just unsure whether her vision of black empowerment might match with the type of vision necessary to jumpstart a black-owned network. But I just don't know.

Regardless, I still think you have an excellent idea and definitely would support it if you decide to go in this direction. :)

8. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    To be honest with you, I feel most of our focus should be on getting her ownership of the network first....then we can gradually influence the demographics over the years.

You see....

Remember that our main gripe with the current media isn't so much the LACK of Blacks....we're all over the place....but it's the NEGATIVE PORTRAYL of Blacks and the "cooning" that goes on in the boardroom we find so disgusting and intolerable.

So all we have to do is remove the racists from power and the dynamics of the programing will automatically change for the better because that diabolical mentality will no longer be control.

We know Oprah wouldn't tolerate a racist staff or stereotypical programs that demean her own people, so the war is half-way won once she's put in charge regardless of the racial make-up of her staff.

Even if Oprah's staff was 80% white and 89% of the programs were white oriented....which we know she wouldn't do.....we can rest assured that what small role we did have wouldn't be malicious or stereotypical to further demonize us.

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Dude im saying if she doesnt even cater to PROGRESSIVE black folks on her show, what makes you think with an entire network, shell do anything but promote white shows, with writters, and producers? Blacks would support her if they found her show relavent. AS for destees peoiple may not pay because other forums dont charge, or they dont find the net forums to be a necessity. BET,TV one, Black family channels are all supported by AA's.

Shrewd business, or selling out ????
    The consumer spending of the AA population in the U.S. is immense.I must disagree that blacks dont support, we support sprint, viacom, cbs,abc,espn. There is nothing wrong with having shows for the entire demographic, but i find the MAJORITY of her shows are geared to whites.

you didnt address my question of being the reason bush was loved by WHITE women and some black women either.Some say that show may have boosted his ratings...themn again they were going to steal it anyway .

I know a women in chicago that uses the same hair dresser as Oprah. She said oprah chose a white hair dresser to feature in her magazine instead of the black hair dresser she uses. I dont know the details but that sounds pretty weak brah.
    Im just pointing out whats real. She has some serious questions on the content she chooses.but Ill stop here, this is a good post, I don't want to bring negativity to your discussion.

Peace

10. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    Therious

Well you know Oprah's show isn't geared towards politics in the first place so she doesn't have a lot of progressive or conservatives on actually expressing and promoting political ideals.

But I understand your point.

I don't see you as bringing negativity, you have a valid concern.

My point is, having Oprah (who you know won't go out of her way to demonize us) in charge of ABC would be much better than having the good ole boy network (our historic enemy) in charge.

Oprah isn't perfect, but she's one of the best and most qualified to assume the position of owner and executive director of a national broadcast station.

We spend a lot, but not in productive means or with eachother.

Much of our money goes into clothes, alcohol, jewelry, dope, things with little or no value or influence.

We need to learn how to invest our money in businesses and projects that promote and advance our culture, media is one of the best venues to invest in.

We also need to learn how to give more charity as a whole instead of being seen on the receiving end so much.

But like I said, Oprah knows who's paying her bills.
    Arsenio Hall had Farrakhan on embracing him and his show was cancelled within 6 months.
    So much for "catering to the grass roots" on a national program.

I can't speak on that because I don't remember when she had him on.

Lol....I'm sure it wasn't lately was it?