The Front Porch : Letter From a Deadbeat to His Son

Poetpreacher

Apr 27, 2013
Carter nj
Occupation
Poet and Author
[The same reason people read novels, and watch movies. They don't watch a drama and walk away saying that they were disappointed because the events weren't real. If the stories is good, then it should not be sold short because it's just a story. In fact that is the main reason actors act - they do it to ensure that they make the story as real as possible. I am sure that this piece is real enough to the person that is actually dealing with this situation.

quote="Poetpreacher, post: 796660, member: 36949"][/quote]

Poetpreacher

Apr 27, 2013
Carter nj
Occupation
Poet and Author
how do we know anything anybody says on here is real?

Peace Poetpreacher,

I like your writing style.. it has a really natural conversational flow to it.
If you were to match it with a more real depiction of this scenario, you could really bring some truth to the surface. This what you've written here is very very conservative.. very safe.. and well known.. it's to the point that one can predict the entire line of thought from the second sentence on. If this is fiction, why not take it somewhere unexpected.. or, at least.. less-expected?

- peace again.. and welcome..
Peace Poetpreacher,

I like your writing style.. it has a really natural conversational flow to it.
If you were to match it with a more real depiction of this scenario, you could really bring some truth to the surface. This what you've written here is very very conservative.. very safe.. and well known.. it's to the point that one can predict the entire line of thought from the second sentence on. If this is fiction, why not take it somewhere unexpected.. or, at least.. less-expected?

- peace again.. and welcome..

Point well taking, I know this happens a lot and is often overlooked so I wanted to keep it simple and to the point. I want when a young man who has grown up without a father reads this, the words have enough weight to express how the father is feeling.

Keita Kenyatta

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
Point well taking, I know this happens a lot and is often overlooked so I wanted to keep it simple and to the point. I want when a young man who has grown up without a father reads this, the words have enough weight to express how the father is feeling.
Then if that's the case, maybe it's not enough to just say that your father was that way and then for you to regret the fact that you yourself are following in those footsteps. How about reaching back into your story to find out why your father was that way? How about revealing the social, psychological and possibly historical realities that made your father that way that were in turn passed to you that you are trying to break? Was your dad just a sorry man or are their roots to his behavior?

I'm a writer too!:toast:

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
Good point James, as I said before I am just finding by way around this site. I'm used to just posting my stories and people who the stories affect would comment. I didn't know that there was a protocol to differentiate between fiction and non -fiction. I will make a notification in future post.
It's not a "protocol." It's dishonest if you don't. You accepted all those "like" confirmations and posts of praise for what others thought was your LIFE, not your "writing style." You mixed fact with fiction WITHOUT the readers' knowledge, and that's not cool. Black children, children's social/emotional development, the black family and consequently, the mental health of the black community, are important. They should be treated in that same vein - as vital. Not as an accolade-hungry con man's shell game.

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
It's not a "protocol." It's dishonest if you don't. You accepted all those "like" confirmations and posts of praise for what others thought was your LIFE, not your "writing style." You mixed fact with fiction WITHOUT the readers' knowledge, and that's not cool. Black children, children's social/emotional development, the black family and consequently, the mental health of the black community, are important. They should be treated in that same vein - as vital. Not as an accolade-hungry con man's shell game.
basically what i was thinking…..

rapunzal24

Apr 2, 2011
Dang....y'all feelings was that hurt when you found out it was fiction? LOL!

chuck

Aug 9, 2003
Too many are on board with themselves to ever want to be unified; unity comes to those who want it, but for those who don't, they only seek to divide the unified.
All I can and should advise and suggest: Who is friend or foe, will be revealed by both the deeds as well as their words...

Otherwise, I weigh the pros and cons, as regards those who agree with me, or don't, neither implying or suggest I automatically place them in the first category, rather than the second...

Good people are here...

Some of my shortcoming etc. they've forgiving and I've done likewise...

Do give them the benefit of the doubt, as we've already given each other...

FYI...

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

"And I'm feeling good."-Nina Simone
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love:
Destee wrote on Charles Thompson's profile.
Hi Chuck ... is that you?!!! ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! ... :yaay: ... I sure hope so! I have thought of you often! If it is not you, sorry for writing on your profile page @Charles Thompson and Welcome! ... :wave:
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
WooooHoooo!!! ... :yaay: :yaay: :yaay: .... Welcome Home! ... :wave: ... :heart: