The Front Porch : Letter From a Deadbeat to His Son

Discussion in 'The Front Porch' started by Poetpreacher, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Poetpreacher

Poetpreacher Active Member MEMBER

Poet and Author
    Ratings:
    +29
    From a Father’s Point of View

I guess this is something that I have to live with. There hasn’t been a day when my son hasn’t crossed my mind, every little-league game I see on TV brings back some of the best days of my life when I used to teach him how to catch in the backyard.

Time is running out and before I know it, he will be a man and then it will be that much harder to tell my side of the story. Even though it was easy for me to get up and leave, I still pay the price of leaving my son behind. I know I run the risk of missing out on the chance to teach him some of life’s most intriguing lessons that I have learned over the years.

I often thought about my dad and wonder if it was because of his absence why I end up following in his footstep and treated my son the very same way. These are the questions many men who can afford it, ask their psychiatrist while laying on their couch. I know that there are a lot of people who have negative things to say about me but the only opinion that matters to me is that of my son's.

The feeling of abandonment I know is difficult and I’m sure cannot be easy for a young boy to deal with. I know he has been giving his mother and teachers hell, this pretty much sounds like I will have to face the music and go and rescue my son before some drug dealer gets a hold of him. Its one thing to feel like you have let one person down, but it’s a whole other feeling to think that you have let down an entire generation.

My dad has already done his damage to me and even though I knew better, the fact that I did the same thing he did, only makes me that much more angry. I will not place the blame on him, the blame stops here, I am the reason my son is going through life fatherless, fatherless… it sounds like I’m already dead.

For what it’s worth, things could have been much worse as my mom would always say, I could have been behind bars as so many of my friends from the old neighborhood are or be taken out altogether. So there is no other option, my son deserves to know that his father still exists and that he is very much loved by a man who wants to be in his life.

2. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    wow i am sure it took a lot for you to come out and say that. it takes a true person to admit his/her shortcomings and self-honesty and be able to inspire other people with it. Thanks for sharing this. I hope this can shed light on some of us or maybe someone outside of the Destee family.!

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    At least you want to be there; many others can't even say that; they detach themselves like their own child was a parasite and never look back.

We all do regretful things, but the ones who are able to face themselves and admit it; they're the ones that get the better end. Great for you!!

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :bs:if you were to have a child you would/should be in contact with them…...

5. Poetpreacher

Poet and Author
    Ratings:
    +29
    This is the very reason I wrote this Legit. I am a poet and a author and my main aim is to tell the stories that really matters. I have just found out about Destee and I found it to be refreshing to be able to share with people who are serious about life and not just posting photos of themselves on facebook all day.

The fact of the matter is that our kids are growing up without fathers and the rate of fatherless kids is alarming to say the least. I hope that this article will empower some father who hasn't seen his son to finally reach out and make a connection. This and more stories are coming from my book titled, " The Son I Never Knew" hoping to have it published by the fall. Thanks for your comment.

6. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    So this isn't real? Just a fictional story? :confused:

7. Poetpreacher

Poet and Author
    Ratings:
    +29
    No doubt jamesfrmphilly. It is time for us, men, to wake up and step up.

8. Poetpreacher

Poet and Author
    Ratings:
    +29
    Everything i write is real to me, even though I may not be in that exact situation, that is the way my gift work. There are many deadbeat dads who wish they were able to say what the story is conveying but is unable to. The point is to keep the conversation on the table so that these kids have a voice and keep the hope of reconciliation alive.

9. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I can understand that.:) You got a lot of heart.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    if you are posting fiction why not identify it as such?