Black People : Let's Feed Ourselves

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

Brother Keita is in the voice video chat room right now, teaching! What he shared prompted this thread.

Do you know of any Sisters and Brothers, anywhere in the world, that sells food we could buy?

With the Internet being what it is, our accessing each other is certainly possible.

Can any people overcome any thing, if they are not able to feed themselves?

Can we feed ourselves? Without depending on anyone else?

If not, how do we achieve this?

Do you have a garden? Can you ship out a tomato?

:heart:

Destee

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
  3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree.

We need more farms and farmers who know how to grow food naturally.

Too many of our youth are being pushed into these brain-washing Universtities to get degrees which are only just licenses to work for the white establishment offering very little real knowledge and civilizational skills.

We have to get back used to getting our hands dirty, but this time for our own benefit.

We need our own farms, grocery stores, and pharmacies.

4. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    This is a very good question Destee. Unfortunately I don't know of any alternative sources where we can buy our food. However I will look into it. But did you know private white owned grocery stores where we get most of our food are under no legal obligation to sell to Black people? This is true. Can you imagine if every major grocery store in this country decided not to sell to us. What would we do? Are we going to starve or are we going to get our own stores and feed ourselves? The Hispanics out here in California have wised up. They own and operate dozens (and growing) of Villarta supermarkets on the west coast targeted towards the Hispanic community with it's headquarters in Mexico. I guess they figured why buy from white owned stores when they can produce and buy from themselves at a lower rate. I've always said there's a negative degree of reliance on other people with intergration. We need to change that.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    You know, Destee, there was a time when we DID actually feed ourselves in this country, but the loss of our farms down south has done a number on us in that area... Trucks loaded with greens, vegetables of all kinds, and fruit, would come from the south to the north, and make a killing... WATEE-MELLA MANG, got'cha vittles fresh for yo' pan!

There was a time when we sold H&G Whitinng fish in the Nation of Islam, but we know what happened with the NOI... We went door-to-door selling fish back in the day(smile!)

Now, if we at Destee's are prepared to buy a farm, or a good fishing boat we can do something... Is that what is being asked??? That is what would be needed... And it would be better than throwing money around directionlessly...

PEACE!
    Isaiah

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    You know brotha info I almost wish that would happen--that they would stop selling to us so we can get off our eggs and do something for ourselves.

Of course I wish no harm on my people but as long as we can get it so easily from the white man I don't see any mass movement among Blacks to do for themselves.

We want to sit on the laurels of our ancestors talking about how they worked so hard when we haven't lifted a finger.

7. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    River

This is what it's gonna take.

I believe that integration was more of a benefit for us than segregation but one of the problems with integration was it allowed too many of us to take the easy way out.

When we had our own separate communities and couldn't rely on whites to do for us, we HAD to have our own doctors, lawyers, clinic, farms.
    Either that or we'd starve or be forced to go crawling back to the plantation to work for peanuts.

Land was REAL property....REAL-ESTATE....but when Ford and the boys offered to pay us big buck to come work for them in factories and construction sites we left for the North and sold much of the land.

Once they successfully got most of us off the land and up in the Northern ghettos, Regan came along and snatched the rug out by sending most of the jobs either out to the suburbs or overseas.
    Now they're working on getting rid of these corporate and govenrment jobs we went to college and got degrees for.

Nothing is sacred anymore...

The only way we can secure capital and a future for ourselves in this society is to own some land and control our own economies.

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Plus, if Washington DC is typical of other cities they are running us out by moving in and raising the property values so longtime Black homeowners can't afford the property taxes. What used to be chocolate City is now Tapioca Town.

But we're not helping. I saw a white man and his son standing on the corner surveying the block like "One day this will all be yours, son" and a sistah in Peoples Drugstore cussing somebody at the other end of her cell phone in a loud voice you could hear all over the store.

Education is not the problem. It's the kind of education. Like the saying goes a nig g e r in a tuxedo is still a n i g g e r. So while we are learning how to build businesses we must learn how to operate them in a business fashion, to behave professionally and just to behave.

9. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    River

Now see....

If I told people what I REALLY thought (they're putting things in the water and food to run us crazy) people would call me a nutty conspiracy theorist...lol.

All I know is when I got ready to replace my showerhead I found a bunch of black gunk caked up around the side of it. But all of the plumbing in my home is fairly new, yet every week I find myself scraping this gunk out of the joint.

Why when I pour up a glass of distilled water, it's clear.
    But when I pour up a glass of tap water it looks all cloudy and I can see little speckles of matter floating around in it?

10. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Could we feed ourselves....yuh.....we used to.......when we were a more rural culture we grew our own food, hunted and raised our own meat caught our own fish and dug our wells or cisterns and pumped our water.....as we became a more metropolitan people moving into the cities and such we lost or gave up those skills with each successive generation........it's a trip too because we've even started acting like some of these city white folk...I see Black folk talkin bout.."it's wrong to hunt and kill animals, it's wrong to kill the pigs and cattle and fish...." while they're sitting there eating a steak sammich..........I still hunt, fish, go crabbing,trap crawfish and if I wasn't in an apartment would be growing whatever the season and land allowed....and raising my chickens,pigs and cows.......so I know for a fact I can feed me mine and maybe a few of yall if yall help with the skinning,gilling and gutting and feeding the animals and dogs and garden work....lol..

Isaiah you killin me.....I remember you used to could buy fish and coons off the backs of them trucks with them watermelons......

yall get ready to get that destee fishing boat holla at ya folk....I'll work a season or two

Red