LET THE CHURCH SAY "NO BLACK MEN!!!" HALLELUJAH!

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Isaiah, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    How many brothers here attend church regularly???

Why are Black Churches, perenially, filled mostly with our sisters, and yet there is no real push to get African men involved??? Is it just a women's club, or do African men find Christianity to be a religion that does not speak progressively to the needs of Black and oppressed people???

Why do sisters not push their pastors to get out there, and recruit Black men into the church??? Are they satisfied to have JESUS as "their man", and nothing but rocks in their bed when they go to sleep at night??? Programs that would help in getting African men's attention should be a high priority for the church or any organization that has the best interests of our nation at heart, but the church doesn't seem to think so...

I wonder if other ethnic groups, also, suffer the same delimma as per men's involvement in this anachronistic institution??? Is the christian church just plain anti-male??? What are you guys thoughts???

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    <sigh>

just gonna toss this out and let it go:

why do you toss out threads that always open up the floor to divisiveness? the last three threads that you've started have been "us" vs "them" - "starring" African Women vs African Men? who needs anybody else tearing us down/apart when we have you????

oh, i do wish the thread titles were subject to "This user is on your Ignore List." thread titles are bad enough, but then, like poking at that sore tooth, i just gotta go look ... and, yup!, SSDD ...

3. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother AnAfrican, just ignore my posts, brother, and have a wonderful weekend divided happily from me, Rev. Feelgood...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Brother Isaiah:

Before this thread goes anywhere, I recommend that you read this thread.

CD

5. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, there are many churches that have issues. Perhaps men are more likely to see the exploitation in all of it rather than the spiritual side. I think also men want independence and feel 'in control.' The church advocates submission to God even if it goes against your natural human urges.

Anyway, some of the Kemetician theologists have said there is no shortage of men during their gatherings... so it's definitely not an issue of lacking a desire to be more spiritual.

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Hmmmm, thank you my good young brother, I hadn't seen that thread posted before... Apparently it was not viewed as "divisive" when brought up then...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Thank you, Sister Karma... I agree wholeheartedly with this perspective, because there has been a shift going on in this area for 40 to 50 years... When Malcolm and the Honorable Elijah Muhammad were alive, and reaching African men in the streets and in prison, more African men were aggressively involved in the affairs of our communities... The Nation encouraged that manly aggressiveness that African men were in search of... I don't believe the Christian church does that, and I have my ideas about why... Ironically, I believe African women WANT African men to be aggressively involved in the church, but maybe some pastors DON"T! Clearly, aggressive African males, it is perceived, pose a challenge to his authority, maybe???

That is not to say that African women just meekly go along to get along, because sisters will CONTROL a church as their own, whether it is filled with African males or not... Again, it is the preachers who have the issues with Male presence...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Bisabee

Bisabee Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I think that ANY organization that Blacks participate in is better than no organization at all because there is always more power in numbers. As I said in another post, Minister Farrakhan emphasized this same point at the first million man march event--that Blacks should join Black organizations.

At the church I attend, 1 out of 4 people are males on any Sunday. I don't see that the men are prevented from participating in an aggressive way, many of them don't seem to want to be involved in leadership positions, so maybe it's easier for the male minister to push the women to go on and head up things because someone has to get things done. Also, there are female as well as male ministers at this church, but the chief minister is a male.

9. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    let the church say...

like alot of black kids i was a church going kid from my earliest days through my mid teens,in the chiors the whole nine,but as i got older i started to wonder about some things such as why ministers would talk about being humble in your possessions but ride around in a hog[caddy]and some of em weren't exactly buyin thier suits from morton's either[sharkskin-mohair]and the offerings went from[one-give what you can..to two-three with a price tag]starting a five bucks a pop in most cases[you darn near had to get a second job just to be able to afford goin to church]and after i might stay away for awhile i noticed that some of the good sisters and brothers would be shall we say aloof,well anyhow the church scene got to be a bit much with the little cliques forming and as i visited different ones it was basically the same thing...hipocracy i can get in the streets and at work,that's not what the church is supposed to be about.

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    But Sister Bee, is it a reach to say that Black Women in your church would not be pleased if those passive brothers were a lot more aggressive and progressive???(smile!)

Brother Oldies, you funny, my man!LOL! Had to get a second job to go to church - yo, the Apollo needs a few good comedians, brotha!(LOL!)

pEACE!
    ISAIAH