African American History Culture : LEST WE NOT FORGET

ogoun

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 14, 2018
Ran across this while surfing u-tube, I didn't find much joy in the vid but I thought I'd share none the less.
Old pictures:

Queenie

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 9, 2001
The pictures caused me to reflect on the life and times of Black people in America. My grandparents were alive during that era, born down south in South Carolina and Georgia. I remember stories my parents told about when they were young and I saw pictures that looked very much like the ones here. As sad as most of these pictures are, at the same time, there's something "rich" about the stories they tell; how they speak to us and should inspire us to continue fighting hard for justice for our people. This may sound crazy, but sometimes I think that if reincarnation is true, would I want to return in the next life as a Black person. My answer is always yes; I can't think of myself any other way.

Kemetstry

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist

Kemetstry

PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Marine Corps Base in 1970s Had Open KKK Operations; When Black Marines Fought Back, They Faced Punishment While Klansmen Did Not
By

Kiersten Willis

A new serial podcast dives into the story of an openly operated Ku Klux Klan chapter that existed on a San Diego, Calif., Marine Corps base in the 1970s.

Free the Pendleton 14” takes a look at the assault that occurred at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside, Calif., on the night of Nov. 13, 1976.

The “hotbed” of KKK operations at the base was “an open secret” that was tolerated or aided by Marine Corps brass. On that night in November, a group of Black Marines sought to confront the Klansmen. But, according to the podcast, they made a mistake and “wound up in the wrong room, where white Marines were drinking beers.”

GettyImages-1319630-600x482.jpg

A Klansman raises his left arm during a “white power” chant at a Ku Klux Klan rally Dec. 16, 2000, in Skokie, Ill. (Photo by Tim Boyle/Newsmakers)
Black Marines emerged wielding clubs, knives and screwdrivers, which is what they used to attack the seven socializing white Marines. Injuries led six of the white Marines to go to a hospital and 15 black Marines were arrested. Later, 13 of them were charged and jailed after pleading guilty to a lesser charge, according to The New York Times. As for the other two, one was released from custody and the other later had his charges dropped in exchange for cooperating with prosecutors.
According to The Washington Post, 16 KKK members at the base were taken into protective custody and quietly transferred to other bases. None of them ever faced punishment.
Soon after the brawl, the Marines initially denied any Klansmen were in their ranks.
“[W]e are not aware of any active Klan organization at Camp Pendleton,” base officials said at the time. But by 1978, they were forced to admit that at least 16 men enlisted had engaged in Klan-related activity, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

In court, the Klansmen and Black Marines were represented by the San Diego Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union. An ACLU attorney electing to represent the KKK members in their lawsuit against the Marines stirred controversy, The Post reported.
As the military court heard testimony in the case, the KKK was accused of openly handing out racist literature on the base, affixing KKK stickers on barracks doors and hiding illicit weapons in their quarters. Additionally, The Times reported, troop commanders were accused of allowing KKK members to display their Klan emblem, wear “n—ers sticker” knives and provoke fights with Black marines.
Steve Walsh, a San Diego journalist who works as a military reporter for the local public radio station, KPBS, is behind the five-part podcast, which is available on Apple Podcasts and Google podcasts, to name a few outlets. Walsh put together the series, which is not affiliated with KPBS, by sorting through newspaper reports and court filings on the matter from the time period. He also interviewed individuals who were there that night, including one of the accused Black Marines, Ricky McGilvery, who is presently a Dallas-area preacher.
“These are lessons that we seem to keep having to learn over and over again, and if we just forget this history we are simply doomed to repeat it,” Walsh said Jan. 11 to The San Diego Union-Tribune’s podcast “The Conversation.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Black People : LEST WE FORGET Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Lest we forget? Black People Open Forum 4
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Black People : Lest We Forget... Black People Open Forum 8
dunwiddat Black People : A reminder ...lest we forget Black People Open Forum 4
chuck Black People : Lest We Forget The Nineties? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Lest You Forget, 'Black Militants'! Black People Open Forum 0
T Black People : Lest We Forget...HIStory Black People Open Forum 19
anAfrican Black Parenting : Lest We Forget! Black Parenting 5
M Black Ancestors : Lest We Forget.... Honoring Black Ancestors 9
A Black People : Lest We Forget... Black People Open Forum 2
triniti424 Black Poetry : blak-beatitude...lest we ever forget... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : Don't Forget, The BIBLE is the ULTIMATE Black History book Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 11
TotalView Black Poetry : sometimes i forget Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
J Black Poetry : Forget me Knots - Spoken Word Piece on Paper. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Ndugu Black People : Lets not forget the Brother at Kroger that bust shot, on the terrorist to protect his wife! Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : WHY WE SHOULD NEVER LET GO OR FORGET Black People Open Forum 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Don’t Forget About the Electoral College Black People Politics 49
nilevalley Black People : Don't forget to look up and view this luminous marvel tonight Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Zulu king: I won't let my people forget our history All Things Africa 2
nilevalley Black People : How easy it is forget the plights of others in the world. Black People Open Forum 14
RAPTOR Black People : Boyce Watkins - Rapper Common on racism: "Let's forget about the past" Black People Open Forum 5
shaka64 Black People : Forget Coffins – Organic Burial Pods Will Turn Your Loved Ones Into Trees Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Don’t Forget to Eat the Peel Black Health and Wellness 13
HODEE Black People : Don't forget to be good to him! A Woman's Perpective Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Popes Gone Wild: What the Catholic Church Would Rather You Forget Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Hadiya Pendleton - Never Forget OldSoul 1
chuck Black People : What They Need And Want Us To Forget! Black People Open Forum 7
TotalView Black Poetry : Sometimes I Forget Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
TotalView Quiet Poetry Lounge : i will not forget again Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Glenn Lewis - Don't You Forget It Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Curtis Mayfield Let Us Not Forget Audio Video Web Conferencing 5
C Black Ancestors : We must not forget our Ancestors! Honoring Black Ancestors 6
cherryblossom Black Christians : "Forgive And Forget" Christian Study Group 21
river Black People : Forget Reparations, Gimme a Bailout Black People Open Forum 6
watzinaname Black Poetry : Can't Forget to Remember Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
howardtsu Black Poetry : Too Pretty to Forget Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
B Black People : Never forget slavery Black People Open Forum 2
anAfrican Black People : Forget thee not! Black People Open Forum 0
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : How Soon We Forget Omowale Jabali 0
D Black People : SLAVERY: WHY SHOULD WE FORGET ABOUT IT? Black People Open Forum 99
river Black Spirituality Religion : Forget Willie Lynch - God Taught the White Man How to Handle His Slaves Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 50
M Black People : We must not forget (Katrina) New Orleans* Black People Open Forum 3
I African American History Culture : The tribe Germany wants to forget African American History Culture 2
river Black Spirituality Religion : Here's An Online Research Database - Forget Google Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
ibrahim Black Poetry : So, don't forget me if i die. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 28
M Egypt : Forget Egypt, Africa Has its own Great Wall of China Egypt 16
river Black Spirituality Religion : Forget This Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : I Will Never Forget The Evil And Horror Of chattel Slavery Chief Elder Osiris 0
1 Black Entertainment : Don't Forget to Watch The Vibe Awards Black Entertainment 11