Black Parenting : Lest We Forget!

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
OLD BLACK MOTHERS AND GRANDMOTHERS

Something most young black folks can't relate to, but is surely needed in a lot of circumstances

There used to be a time when black children were the best behaved children in the world, now look at them, hip hopping and gang banging and bling-blinging, and who's your baby's daddying, themselves straight into trouble.

1. Have you ever been called downstairs from upstairs or the back of the
house, or from the front of the house to get the remote, change the
channel, or to "fix her a glass of ice water?"

2. Have you ever been hit with an extension cord, ironing cord, a switch, the razor strap or the nearest shoe?

3. Have you ever had to pick or cut your own whip or switch off the
backyard tree and got sent back because the one you picked was too little?

4. Have you ever been burned on your ear with a straightening comb?

5. Have you ever been hit in the head or knuckles with a comb or hairbrush?

6. Have you ever been told to "Shut Up or I'll give you something to cry
about while she beats you with a belt - pronouncing every syllable
---"Did-n't---I---tell----you---not---to---do------That---no---more?!"

7. Your ponytails or plaits were so tight, you thought your eyes were going to pop out and you got those little bumps around you scalp.

8. The white people in the school office (principal, secretary, etc) were afraid of her.

9. You were too scared to go home when you had a bad report card--and too scared to run away.

10. Alcohol, peroxide, cocoa butter, and Vaseline were the main items in
the bathroom cabinet.

11. You were never "on punishment" - just got whoopins right out of the
shower or tub.

12. Have you ever been pinched for going to sleep in church?

13. She made you participate in every church activity (choir, Jr. Usher
Board, Easter play, Christmas play, etc.)

14. Has she ever had to come inside and pick you up from a school dance in hair rollers and her gown or pajamas on under her coat?

15. When you asked her for something, was her response ever.... "You got a job???"

16. Have you ever been beaten for something your brother or sister did just because you were around?

17. Did she vacuum everyday just so the carpet could have lines in it.

18. Have you ever been told to turn off the TV, get off the phone, or sit down and be quiet when it's storming outside because the Lord was doing his work?

19. Friends, family, and friends of the family try to keep you out of
trouble because they know your mother and how she is.

20. Were you afraid to call the child abuse hotline, cause she said, "I'll whup the Black offa you!"

21. Did she have to talk to God..."Lord, please don't let me hurt this
child!!" before she gives you a whipping.

If you can relate to any of these things, then pass this on to all your
friends and see if they can relate to it. Sometimes, it pays to share our values and our upbringing in the Black community.

"KNOWING THAT WE HAD A BEAUTIFUL BLACK MOTHER (or big mama), WHO DIDN'T
TAKE NO MESS WHEN THEY WERE GROWING UP!"

GOD BLESS OUR BEAUTIFUL BLACK MOTHERS AND GRANDMOTHERS!

Amen in the Spirit.

:>). . . :>). . . :>)

(just gotta wonder if this might go some ways towards answering "what happened to the community?")

Ala

Apr 26, 2006
I love this , anafrican , i mean , i forget all these, ya know its really quite scary to me that i really dont see this no more , and i must andmitt when i was young there were lots of diffrent women around to help u rasie ur kids , but now shoot . folks could care less , at least in my situation , lawd i pray its not like that for even less than half , anyway ...Thank you , it just reminds me of what and how things used to be ...and how i want things to go back too

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
I've been there , within most of these and felt the aftermath of them all
yes we have gave up on most from the old ways and so many have really
forgotten this that has kept many of us in line , today so many just don't
know or forgot and afraid to apply it.

conflict

Jul 2, 2006
I remember every single one of those situations. I remember getting a beating for being aroun something that one of my friends did!! That type of parenting is a lost art. Just the psychological affect that some of those things had was enough to keep me in line even after I moved out of my parents house at 19. What about "dont make me have to tell your father" I was afraid of that man eventhough my mother was the one who enforced most of the punishment

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kemetstry Black People : LEST WE FORGET Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Lest we forget? Black People Open Forum 4
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Black People : Lest We Forget... Black People Open Forum 8
dunwiddat Black People : A reminder ...lest we forget Black People Open Forum 4
chuck Black People : Lest We Forget The Nineties? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Lest You Forget, 'Black Militants'! Black People Open Forum 0
PurpleMoons African American History Culture : LEST WE NOT FORGET African American History Culture 137
T Black People : Lest We Forget...HIStory Black People Open Forum 19
M Black Ancestors : Lest We Forget.... Honoring Black Ancestors 9
A Black People : Lest We Forget... Black People Open Forum 2
triniti424 Black Poetry : blak-beatitude...lest we ever forget... Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 17
Energy Black Spirituality Religion : Don't Forget, The BIBLE is the ULTIMATE Black History book Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 11
TotalView Black Poetry : sometimes i forget Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
J Black Poetry : Forget me Knots - Spoken Word Piece on Paper. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Ndugu Black People : Lets not forget the Brother at Kroger that bust shot, on the terrorist to protect his wife! Black People Open Forum 0
Kemetstry Black People : WHY WE SHOULD NEVER LET GO OR FORGET Black People Open Forum 12
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : Don’t Forget About the Electoral College Black People Politics 49
nilevalley Black People : Don't forget to look up and view this luminous marvel tonight Black People Open Forum 4
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : Zulu king: I won't let my people forget our history All Things Africa 2
nilevalley Black People : How easy it is forget the plights of others in the world. Black People Open Forum 14
RAPTOR Black People : Boyce Watkins - Rapper Common on racism: "Let's forget about the past" Black People Open Forum 5
shaka64 Black People : Forget Coffins – Organic Burial Pods Will Turn Your Loved Ones Into Trees Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Don’t Forget to Eat the Peel Black Health and Wellness 13
HODEE Black People : Don't forget to be good to him! A Woman's Perpective Black People Open Forum 0
Fine1952 Black Spirituality Religion : Popes Gone Wild: What the Catholic Church Would Rather You Forget Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
OldSoul OldSoul : Hadiya Pendleton - Never Forget OldSoul 1
chuck Black People : What They Need And Want Us To Forget! Black People Open Forum 7
TotalView Black Poetry : Sometimes I Forget Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
TotalView Quiet Poetry Lounge : i will not forget again Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Glenn Lewis - Don't You Forget It Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : Curtis Mayfield Let Us Not Forget Audio Video Web Conferencing 5
C Black Ancestors : We must not forget our Ancestors! Honoring Black Ancestors 6
cherryblossom Black Christians : "Forgive And Forget" Christian Study Group 21
river Black People : Forget Reparations, Gimme a Bailout Black People Open Forum 6
watzinaname Black Poetry : Can't Forget to Remember Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 5
howardtsu Black Poetry : Too Pretty to Forget Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
B Black People : Never forget slavery Black People Open Forum 2
anAfrican Black People : Forget thee not! Black People Open Forum 0
Omowale Jabali Omowale Jabali : How Soon We Forget Omowale Jabali 0
D Black People : SLAVERY: WHY SHOULD WE FORGET ABOUT IT? Black People Open Forum 99
river Black Spirituality Religion : Forget Willie Lynch - God Taught the White Man How to Handle His Slaves Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 50
M Black People : We must not forget (Katrina) New Orleans* Black People Open Forum 3
I African American History Culture : The tribe Germany wants to forget African American History Culture 2
river Black Spirituality Religion : Here's An Online Research Database - Forget Google Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
ibrahim Black Poetry : So, don't forget me if i die. Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 28
M Egypt : Forget Egypt, Africa Has its own Great Wall of China Egypt 16
river Black Spirituality Religion : Forget This Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 2
Chief Elder Osiris Chief Elder Osiris : I Will Never Forget The Evil And Horror Of chattel Slavery Chief Elder Osiris 0
1 Black Entertainment : Don't Forget to Watch The Vibe Awards Black Entertainment 11