Black People : Lessons-we-can-learn-from Toni Morrison

HODEE

Alonewolf
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jul 2, 2003

The truth she offered on white supremacy

Racist Ways...
" What Do You Need This For"
“Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am,” a documentary released earlier this year, rolls through interview clips between Morrison and various journalists. One exchange in particular stuck out: her 1993 interview with PBS’ Charlie Rose.

Responding to a question about experiencing racism, Morrison said people who practice racism are “bereft, there is something distorted about the psyche.” Morrison said racist white people don’t understand that they are also a race, “it’s also constructed, it’s also made.”

“If I take your race away, and there you are, all strung out. And all you got is your little self, and what is that? What are you without racism? Are you any good? Are you still strong? Are you still smart? Do you still like yourself? I mean, these are the questions.”

She continued: “If you can only be tall because somebody is on their knees, then you have a serious problem. And my feeling is: White people have a very, very serious problem, and they should start thinking about what they can do about it. Take me out of it.”

Years earlier, in a 1975 keynote address at Portland State University, Morrison said that “the very serious function of racism” is a distraction.

“It keeps you from doing your work. It keeps you explaining, over and over again, your reason for being,” she said.

==================
" The Key is No Apology Needed. No Explanation is Due Anyone "
===============
Wrote in 2003
Picture temporarily used as background 2020

==============

When we come here, there is a plan.
Rolled up tight, in the creators hand.
As he opens, we start our way. The
threads are black, and are gold some
days. Let him finish opening his hand.
Don't go around judging any man!
Look at the work if you care,
view our ways if you dare.
The hand will close, and life is gone.
Don't spend it caring... about
what went wrong.
Remember it's part of the master plan.

Rolled up tight in the creators hand!

@ HODEE
=============

1594760850080.png

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IFE Black Ancestors : 5 Lessons From Martin Luther King Jr. To Apply To Trump’s America Honoring Black Ancestors 3
IFE Black People Politics : 5 Lessons From Martin Luther King Jr. To Apply To Trump’s America Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Christians : The Bible Has No Place In Modern America: Sobering Lessons from Donald Trump and Kim Burrell Christian Study Group 1
Queenie Law Forum : Hillary Clinton's Email Protocol: Lessons in eDiscovery. Say what? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
IFE Black Positive People : Teacher creates "Gentleman's Club" to teach life lessons to boys Black People Doing Positive Things 2
Liberty Black Education / Schools : New York Teacher Claims She Was Fired For Lessons On The Central Park Five Black Education / Schools 13
RAPTOR Black People Politics : From Watts to Ferguson: 50 Years of Lessons (Not) Learned Black People Politics 3
Al D Black Short Stories : Life Lessons (Good Wolf, Bad Wolf) Short Stories - Authors - Writing 3
MsInterpret Audio Video Web Conferencing : Natural Hair Lessons Learned: Part I Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
TotalView Black Poetry : lessons passed down Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
1poetsought Black Poetry : FLYING LESSONS ~ Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Amnat77 Black People : Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns Black People Open Forum 5
river Black People : The Lessons of Life Black People Open Forum 0
T Egypt : ? Biblical Lessons from Ancient EGYPT? Egypt 57
Blackbird Black Spirituality Religion : Lessons Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 30
Zulile Black People : Lessons for African Psychotherapy Black People Open Forum 4
T Black People : Lessons from Baba Rashidi Black People Open Forum 2
D African dance master teaches life lessons Black Parenting 0
P Zimbabwe : Zimbabwe planning Chinese lessons Zimbabwe 21
Isaiah Black People : LESSONS IN COUNTER INTELLIGENCE *COINTELPRO... Black People Open Forum 11
info-moetry Black Spirituality Religion : THE INFINITY LESSONS ............. Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
L Black Entertainment : i,m starting hopefully also with piano lessons in april ..... Black Entertainment 0
N Black People : life lessons Black People Open Forum 3
P Black Spirituality Religion : Elihu's Lessons-- The Unity of Life Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
P Pan-Africanism : Lessons in the African Diaspora: studying Blacks in areas other than Africa & the US Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 8
V Black Poetry : piano lessons Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 16
D Black Poetry : My 'Self' Lessons Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
K Black Haiku : Lessons in Anatomy Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 9
G Black Poetry : The Lessons of Doom Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
C Black People : When Will You Learn? Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Sports : Don't underestimate Beast Mode: What Princeton students could learn from Marshawn Lynch Black Sports 3
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : How Black Lives Matter Is Changing What Students Learn During Black History Month African American History Culture 7
IFE Black People : #MeToo Shows That Women Must Learn Sexual Self-defence Black People Open Forum 8
Mario William vitale Black Poetry : love is the mere essence of my inner existence learn to shun its resistance Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
R Black Poetry : in an affair fly that I have to clarify let my phat brain attain knowledge, came to college to learn Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
mikeUK African American History Culture : Wanting to Learn African American History Culture 10
D Black Education / Schools : What 3 languages would you like to learn? Black Education / Schools 10
R Black Poetry : stress no quality best policy is wait to night time and learn // to write a rhyme why let hate domin Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
A Black Men : Where can I meet and greet anyone and learn more about the Nation of Gods and Earths. Black Men 1
R Black Poetry : Grab my hair give it a perm then live and learn far as music thought I could use it drank a crew of Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Education / Schools : Can black English help black children learn better? One educator believes so Black Education / Schools 118
KingSango Internet Technology : The Deep Web. Learn something. Science and Technology 10
dunwiddat Black Women : What white folks can learn from African women Black Women 9
Kemetstry Black People : 32 THINGS YOU LEARN GROWING UP Black People Open Forum 2
shaka64 Black Education / Schools : Good places on the web to learn many things, free. Black Education / Schools 4
rapchild Ghana : Learn About Ghanaian Culture and etc Ghana 0
C African Traditional Religion : Here to learn African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
river Black People : Why We Need to Learn Spanish Black People Open Forum 28
macoo Science and Technology : The best To learn Science and Technology 9
Aluku Black People : What we westerners can learn from Africa Black People Open Forum 1