Black Sports : Lennox Lewis

Not very high. I don't kow. For some reason I don't look at him as a great champ. I think that he only beat Tyson because Tyson has beat himself for so many years that he's no longer a threat. I think he should've given Klitchko a rematch before retiring. I think he knows he might have gotten beat. He should fight RoyJones or James Toney...though I think they both might be a little small to fight him. I really don't see him as anything more than a fighter that picks his matched very carefully, instead of facing all comers. A lot of the time he's been champ, the division has been so weak. It's just now becoming interesting so he bails. That's not a champ to me.

Lewis was a very good fighter but i rate him low on the list
he didn't beat Tyson , Tyson beat himself i agree he should fight
on the the top contenders like Roy Jones i think he left on time
he was a good fighter not a legacy great fighter but he is upon
the leaders ................

Kente417mojo, it is funny that you rate Lennox Lewis as the champion of a weak division, because that is exactly how I would rate Mike Tyson. Tyson was champion during a period of transition in the heavyweight division. The best fighters of the 80s: Michael Dokes, Frank Tate, Tim Witherspoon, Tony Tubbs, Pinklon Thomas, Trevor Berbick, Gerry Cooney, and Larry Holmes (the only great fighter of this bunch), were all towards the end of their careers. By 1985 Larry Holmes was fading so badly that he lost his title to Michael Spinks, who was a Light Heavyweight (although a great one)!! Tyson had fought literally no one on his 2 year rise as a heavywight contender. He won his 1st title at the end of 1986 against Trevor Berbick, a past his prime fighter who beat a 40 year old Ali in 1980!! He won his 2nd title again another old fighter, James Smith in 1987. In addition to these guys ages (both in their mid 30s), they were never that good to begin with. These two would have never been champ in the 70s, 90s, or today. The fact that they were ever "champ" shows how weak the Heavyweight division was in the mid-80s (most boxing experts rate this as the worst period in heavyweight history). Tyson did win his 3rd title against a decent young fighter, Tony Tucker (who knocked out James "Buster" Douglass for the title). For that victory I do give Tyson credit, because Tucker was somewhat of a threat, and he was also the best win of Tyson's career. Tyson's defenses were a list of dead bodies: Tyrell Biggs, on old Larry Holmes, Frank Bruno, Tony Tubbs, Carl William, and Michael Spinks (the best fighter Tyson defended against, but a man who hadn't fought in 2 years). Most of Tyson's opponents were too scared to give him a decent fight. The first fight who wasn't scared of Tyson, and who had some skills beat him (Buster Douglass). Evander Holyfield (the former Cruiserweight Champ), was the #1 contender during Tyson's reign, and Tyson avoided Holyfield like the plague!!. I know Tyson has some big fans, but he was the champ in a weak division. The best fighters of the 1990s: Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Ray Mercer, Michael Moorer, David Tua, all were just beginning their careers. I don't think Tyson could have ever beaten any of these fighters. If he came along at the same time as these guys (Tyson stared his career at 18, an age most fighters are still amatuers), I don't think he ever would have been champ. Even if he did become champ, he wouldn't have had a long reign. Tyson...my brothers was OVER-RATED.

In comparison Lennox Lewis developed very slowly as a fighter. However, by the time he become a contender he did have at least one good name on his record, Razor Ruddock, who he knocked out in 2 (Tyson needed 7, at that was a TKO). He did have some weak defenses in his 1st reign as champ: Tony Tucker, Frank Bruno (both of whom Tyson beat 5 years earlier). He lost his title against the best fighter he fought up to that date: Oliver Mccall (who was a beater fighter than people say, a man who knocked down Tyson in training). I will say one thing about this fight though. Lennox got up at 5 and the ref stopped the fight, most people who have seen this fight say that it was stopped early. Also unlike Tyson, Lennox came back and beat Mccall in a rematch. Tyson has never shown the ability to come back. Another think I have to say about Lennox was that he was perhaps the most avoided fighter in the 1990s. Riddick Bowe (who was knocked out by Lennox in the 88 Olympics) gave up his title rather than fight him. Tyson paid Lennox $4 million not to fight (that is on record brothers). During Lennox's 2nd reign he fought and beat the best in the division: Shannon Briggs, Andrew Golota, Henry Akinwande, Holyfield 2x, Michael Grant, David Tua, Hasim Rahman, and Klitschko. None of these guys were old, and all were threats. Lewis also beat Tyson in 2002!! I hear some say that Tyson was old, and tired when they fought. First of all Lewis is 1 year older than Tyson.....LOL! Also like I said, Tyson had the chance to fight him 6 years earlier, and he didn't want to do it.

I agree that currently the heavyweight divison is weak. But that is because Lewis & Holyfield both cleaned it out. The division was hot in the 1990s, when these guys reigned. I feel both Lennox Lexis and Evander Holyfield belong in the 10 of the greatest heavyweight champs of all time. However in a head to head comparison Lennox must be rated higher, become he was a more dominant champ. He was also more dominant, and fought better competition than Tyson (who most people put in their top heavyweight list). If Tyson belongs there then Lewis definately does. I don't know exactly where Lewis belongs on the list (top 5, or bottom 5), but if you look at his accomplishments: most defenses outside of Joe Louis, Larry Holmes, and Ali. He is definately in the top 10.

you made some great facts here and to look back i think
Tyson was a strong hard hitter as to Lewis a more faster
puncher , Ail , Holmes , Louis these was great fighters in
their era as was i say Tyson & Lewis and Holyfield was
not as hot too me , i think if Roy Jones would have came alone
Tyson , Lewis both would not beat this guy he is one smart
skilled fighter but you really made a point the Div. was weak
no true contenders like now what's really out there for Jones
not much but i have to say Lewis did beat some who was thought
to be a big name so from 1 - 10 i rate him still at a 7 he wasn't a
powerhouse .......thanks for the history because their was some
things i didn't know ....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back