Black Sports : Legendary Coaches: Dean Smith passes at age of 83

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by UBNaturally, Feb 8, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Dean Smith dies at age of 83
    February 8, 2015

[​IMG]

Dean Smith, the coaching innovator who won two national championships at North Carolina, an Olympic gold medal in 1976 and induction into basketball's Hall of Fame more than a decade before he left the bench, has died. He was 83.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...er-north-carolina-tar-heels-coach-dies-age-83

Interestingly, Coack K broke Smith's ACC league wins record three days prior to his passing...

Coach K passes Dean Smith with 423rd win in ACC
    February 5, 2015

[​IMG]

Krzyzewski, who earned his 1,000th career victory Jan. 25 at St. John’s, surpassed former North Carolina coach Dean Smith as the winningest in ACC play. He improved to 423-169 in his 35th year in the league.

The new dean of the ACC
    [​IMG]
    Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski passed legendary North Carolina coach Dean Smith to stand alone atop the all-time ACC win list.

Sources:
    http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587963
    http://www.citizen-times.com/story/sports/2015/02/05/coach-passes-dean-smith-rd-win-acc/22950127/

Which North Carolina Basketball team under Smith was the best?

81 team
    http://www.tarheeltimes.com/rosterbasketball-1981.aspx

89 team
    http://www.tarheeltimes.com/rosterbasketball-1989.aspx

or others?

2. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Charlie Scott: ‘It’s A Sad Day For Society’
    February 8, 2015

On Sunday, Feb. 8 former University of North Carolina basketball player Charlie Scott stopped by CBS Sports Radio to discuss his memories of his former coach Dean Smith with Marc Malusis. Smith passed away at the age of 83 on Saturday night. Smith was one of the most iconic coaches in the history of men’s basketball and served as the head coach of the Tar Heels for 36 years from 1961-97. He coached Scott from 1967-70 and Scott has the distinction of being the first African-American player to break the color barrier and play for the University of North Carolina men’s basketball team.

l5295238[1].jpg

“It’s a sad day, not just for me, but for society,” Scott said about Smith’s death on CBS Sports Radio this morning.

Read more...
    http://radio.cbssports.com/2015/02/08/charlie-scott-its-a-sad-day-for-society

Scott and Smith gave new look to Tobacco Road
    February 28, 2008

I remember talking to Dean Smith about Charlie Scott nearly 25 years after Scott became the first African-American scholarship athlete at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Coach Smith had called me after he read that the Center for the Study of Sport in Society, which I had founded at Northeastern University, had started a program that was using former athletes to train young people to deal more effectively with racial tensions and conflict. It was called Project Teamwork and went on to be called "America's most successful violence prevention program." Coach Smith was inquiring about it because he thought Scott would be a perfect leader for Project Teamwork. Amazingly, Smith made the call during the week that UNC was about to play in the Sweet 16 at the 1990 NCAA Tournament. What coach calls someone during that week to talk about a player who had left his program decades before?

Read more...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blackhistory2008/columns/story?id=3268786

RAGeW.AuSt.156[1].jpeg
    Smith with Charlie Scott in the 1969 ACC Tournament. Smith signed Scott as the first black scholarship athlete at UNC in 1966.

ncb_g_smith_300[1].jpg
    Dean Smith, shown here with Phil Ford, was a pioneer in bringing African-American players to North Carolina and the ACC.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    [​IMG]
    Jordan says his life was shaped by Dean Smith. (USATSI)
    Legendary North Carolina coach and basketball icon Dean Smith passed away Saturday night at the age of 83. As the basketball world mourns the loss of one of the greatest people to ever be involved in sports, his most famous student Michael Jordan issued a statement on the passing of someone who was one of the biggest influences of his life.
    “Other than my parents, no one had a bigger influence on my life than Coach Smith. He was more than a coach – he was my mentor, my teacher, my second father. Coach was always there for me whenever I needed him and I loved him for it. In teaching me the game of basketball, he taught me about life. My heart goes out to Linnea and their kids. We've lost a great man who had an incredible impact on his players, his staff and the entire UNC family.” Michael Jordan
    Jordan attended North Carolina under Smith from 1981 to 1984, playing three seasons and winning a national championship in 1982. He's always spoken with the utmost respect and reverence when it comes to his college coach, who touched the lives of thousands of athletes in the sport of basketball and beyond. Jordan took the teaching of Smith and went on to become the greatest player in NBA history, setting the standard for superstardom and everything we judge athletes on in any sport.

A legendary Coach .....Dean Smith

4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Michael_Jordan_UNC_Jersey_m[1].jpg

Notable players from the Dean Smith era:

• Charlie Scott (first African-American scholarship athlete at UNC-Chapel Hill)
    • Bob McAdoo
    • Walter Davis (uncle of Hubert Davis)
    • Phil Ford
    • James Worthy
    • Sam Perkins
    • Michael Jordan
    • Brad Daugherty
    • Kenny Smith
    • J.R. Reid
    • Steve Bucknall (first Brit to play in the NBA)
    • Scott Williams
    • Rick Fox
    • Hubert Davis
    • George Lynch
    • Rasheed Wallace
    • Jerry Stackhouse
    • Vince Carter
    • Antawn Jamison

Coaches that played for Dean Smith:

• George Karl
    • Larry Brown

Other notable players:

• Mitch Kupchak (Owner; Los Angeles Lakers)

5. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736