Black Authors : Legal Debts From Plagiarism

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by karmashines, Jun 28, 2006.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    If you have an idea that is so similar to another, writers, how do you deal with the potential fear that later on another writer might try to sue you for copyright infrigement? From my experience, this seems to be an avid fear that might prevent brilliant newcoming writers from writing.

2. abstract219

abstract219 ...standing on the shoulders of giants MEMBER

United States
    Behavioral Health
    Ratings:
    +548
    As a person who had parts of his work plagerized....i would say it depends. Lifting the entire poem is illegal without permission from the owner, if said owner has a copyright, and punishable by law.

Lifting a sentence, or phrase is harder to prove. If the line is stolen verbatim, it would'nt be worth hiring a lawyer to pursue it, and a judge may not even take the case.

The fact of the matter is, we all in some way are guilty of a lesser form of plagerism. There are our favorite writers, who we may be heavily influenced by, so we may lift the tone or spirit of the piece, but not the words. We are all influenced by our environment, which includes other writers.

Online, it may be easier to prove, being that you can bring up the page...but it takes time, and you have to prove that they impeded you making a profit, or they gained a substantial profit from said work.

I know this, because I had a case.