Black Entertainment : LEELA JAMES: THE NEW QUEEN OF SOUL???

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Isaiah, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Listen, I've heard all of the contenders and pretenders over the past few years, and their names read like a who's who of neo-soul, Erykah, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, India.Arie, Alicia Keys, Syleena Johnson, Angie Stone, and so forth(did I leave a few out?), but this sister is the real deal... She is NOT no neo-soul, she is SOUL UNCUT, and with a capital "S."

She is, in my humble opinion, the next best thing to Aretha among the young artists, and she fine too - which is not something Aretha was known for, sorry to say... Of course, when you got pipes like the QUEEN OF SOUL, who cares, right??? Well, this young woman has wonderful chops gone to bed... I have to say that I am impressed with her new stuff, as well as, the old stuff she re-did... Check out her music and bio at her website... If this sister doesn't blow up sky high, then I don't know what the world is coming to - honestly...

http://www.leelajames.com/

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Front Street.......LOL........Imma have to listen to Leela a bit more...I love me some Badu and Jill though.....but na Isaiah comparing Leela to Aretha I don't know bout that there bruh.....now in the fine dept...oh yes suh...hands down.....Leela is a monster....Aretha can't even be in the same room but with the singing I don't know....think it's time for me to do a battle of the sangers........

Red

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Red,

Some of the reviewers make that comparison and my homegirl is hot....lol...i don't know how many times i don't passed up her cd....back to the store manana....lol...

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    LOL......you're like me..it's always back to the recka sto.....lol...right now though I've found what I'm lisnen to tonight...it's all bout Bootsy baby.....I got that " May the Force Be With You " playin off the album Bootsy? Player of the Year......man dude was so far ahead of his time.......guess that's why cats sample him so much........think I need another sippa......it's been a good night Big Brother Omowale.......I'm enjoying this fa sho......next time I'm in DFW I'll holla ....

Red

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Aight bruh...PEACE...you ever come this way...holla...u welcome any time....gonna make me get some fishin' gear...we got a big Lewisville Lake near here...and a few more a lil north near oklahoma...keep ya head up and may the Force be wit u as well...love that Bootsy baby....:nuts:

Make my Funk da P-Funk...

6. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Look at dese dirty ole men up in here, talkin' 'bout da girl's cookies like dat LOL! Lawd, oughta be a law - a city ordinance, at least - against lecherous cats like yawl(smile!)

...oh, Red, I didn't mean to offend you, my brother, puttin' young "stuff" in the same sentence with Ma REE... In fact, I AGREE, nobody touches REE - at least not in the last millenia, or so(smile!) I never heard 'em, that's for sho... I admit, I coulda gone down a notch or 5 in my comparisons, Gladys, Chaka, Patti, Whitney, Natalie, whateva, but lil One got chops, with a serious side order of ONION, too!(smile!) Whew, she juicy! Who said folks go to concerts just to hear folks sing LOL! Not when they look dat hot!

But, Glad you brothers liked her riff... Unfortunately, she seems too mature for her peer audience, and that's reflected by us older cats doin' all the big ups in this thread... Hmmmmm... Hope she don't go the way of some other coulda-woulda beens in this business... That would be a cryin' shame...

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

WOW,

sistah definately got some chops. sounds like she came straight outta Stax records or sumfin'

The lyrics are deep too.

8. SlyBlueFox

SlyBlueFox New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Leela is the real deal for sure! I love neo soul mind you, especially India Arie, Alicia Keys and Jill Scott, but Leela takes you back to when had REAL soul singers! unfortunately she will never get the props that too many others with way less talent do but I'm definitely in her corner!

9. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I don't think I've ever heard of her before!
    I have to check her out!

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister Cursed Heart, check out her website... It has her music samples playing so you can get a taste of what she can do... Sister is SOUL personified, and I aint talking that neo-soul stuff... She's the REAL DEAL, and I aint blowin' no smoke, either(smile!)

Peace!
    isaiah