Black Sports : Lebron : no room for guns...stop the violence

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by jamesfrmphilly, Oct 3, 2015.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    http://www.nba.com/2015/news/10/02/lebron-james-gun-violence.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio (AP) — LeBron James was at home with his three kids when news broke that a 5-month-old girl had been killed in a drive-by shooting - the third fatal shooting of a child in Cleveland in the past month.

Aavielle Wakefield's death moved James to speak out on social media, where he used the platform to make an immediate plea for calm and change in the wake of more senseless violence.

On Friday, the NBA star went further, stating his support for stricter gun laws.

"There's no room for guns." James said.

James, who has never shied away from stating his opinion on political issues, spoke after practice, a day after another tragedy in Cleveland as well as the mass shooting at an Oregon community college, where a gunman killed at least nine people and wounded others when he opened fire on campus.

James decried both situations and took a strong stance on gun control, a divisive issue in the U.S.

"Four kids under the age of five or six years old have been shot and killed or very badly injured," James said. "There's no room for that. There's no room for guns, first of all, but then for violence toward kids or anybody. I see the news go across my phone and I'm sitting there in front of my three kids, so it automatically just hit me.

"It's not just in Cleveland, it's the whole nation that goes through this as well. We all hurt from it."

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Lebron James IS a role model to MY young relatives TOO!!

Let OUR generations remember this:

WE didn't change overnight either!!

fyi

3. carbonite

carbonite Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +13
    "LeBron James was at home with his three kids when news broke that a 5-month-old girl had been killed in a drive-by shooting - the third fatal shooting of a child in Cleveland in the past month."

LeBron is a good man and an excellent role model. Unfortunately, we need more like him vice the typical thug knuckle head type that so many young black males seek to emulate. The shooting deaths of these children speaks for itself about the depraved violent environments so many black youths are being exposed to. There is no justification nor excuse making that can exonerate the criminal thug terrorists who are driving the body bag statistics in black America....