Black Sports : LEBRON *MICHAEL*KOBE - CAREERS IN PERSPECTIVE...

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
At comparitive stages in their careers, Lebron is now beyond where Michael was at age 21, and Kobe Bryant is not even in the conversation... What Lebron is doing in the Detroit series is akin to Michael taking the Bulls past the Celtics in what would've been his rookie campaign... Only Michael was still in college at North Carolina...

Additionally, Lebron's just got a much better basketball head on his shoulders than Michael or Kobe at this stage in their development... He understands intuitively what both Michael and Kobe had to be taught by Phil Jackson, which is to respect and accept their teammates, and make them better teammates... Actually, as per his playoff accomplishments, Magic is probably a better comparison, because Magic showed he could be the man on the biggest stage when he was even younger than Lebron, at age 20... What gives Lebron a slight edge on Magic is his athleticism...

Which brings me to a statement Bill Parcells once made about the best tight ends playing power forward in the NBA... Antonio Gates is a great example of that, but how many of remember reading that Lebron was an all-state receiver while in high school??? It brings to mind that Ohio State receiver, Santonio Holmes who was drafted in the first round by the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, was a contemporary and peer of Lebron in Highschool... When I see this kid driving to the basket, or going coast-to-coast on breakways and fast breaks, he reminds me of that all-state receiver he must've been, and I know that must strike fear in a lot of guys in the NBA...

Michael had guys in fear mentally, but Lebron has them in fear mentally and physically... Who in the NBA is really equipped to handle this guy at his position in THE ASSOCIATION??? What are you guys thoughts on this???

Peace@!
Isaiah

Jebron is like no other the NBA has ever seen, or probably will see again for a long time. This guy is 6'11' with the moves of a 6'6 guard. If he can stay healthy I think that he has an opportunity to be the NBA's most dominant scoring threat for the next decade.

What suprises me about these pro athletes is how they place themselves in a contradicting situation. They go out and hire mega-sports agents who are all about getting them the biggest pay-day ever, and then they get upset when their teams suffer. If a star does not allow his franchise to use the salary cap to HIS advantage by giving them a way to pay other valuable role players around him it would make them a much more dominant player in the end. Kevin Garnett is one player that comes to mind. I hope Mr. James looks at examples such as Mr. Garnett and realize that if he want to maximize his career he will need those big time role players in Cleveland. True leadership is not and should not be doing the most work and being solely comphensated or recognized for it, it is in realizing that the true value of the work is in the TEAM effort. That also includes TEAM comphensation.

Isaiah said:
At comparitive stages in their careers, Lebron is now beyond where Michael was at age 21, and Kobe Bryant is not even in the conversation... What Lebron is doing in the Detroit series is akin to Michael taking the Bulls past the Celtics in what would've been his rookie campaign... Only Michael was still in college at North Carolina...

Additionally, Lebron's just got a much better basketball head on his shoulders than Michael or Kobe at this stage in their development... He understands intuitively what both Michael and Kobe had to be taught by Phil Jackson, which is to respect and accept their teammates, and make them better teammates... Actually, as per his playoff accomplishments, Magic is probably a better comparison, because Magic showed he could be the man on the biggest stage when he was even younger than Lebron, at age 20... What gives Lebron a slight edge on Magic is his athleticism...

Which brings me to a statement Bill Parcells once made about the best tight ends playing power forward in the NBA... Antonio Gates is a great example of that, but how many of remember reading that Lebron was an all-state receiver while in high school??? It brings to mind that Ohio State receiver, Santonio Holmes who was drafted in the first round by the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers, was a contemporary and peer of Lebron in Highschool... When I see this kid driving to the basket, or going coast-to-coast on breakways and fast breaks, he reminds me of that all-state receiver he must've been, and I know that must strike fear in a lot of guys in the NBA...

Michael had guys in fear mentally, but Lebron has them in fear mentally and physically... Who in the NBA is really equipped to handle this guy at his position in THE ASSOCIATION??? What are you guys thoughts on this???

Peace@!
Isaiah

Brother, remember a short while back when folks were clowning me in some threads when I said he was a more likely MVP candidate than Kobe?

Now King James is in a position getting ready to knock out the Pistons...and I'm cheering him on!...lol!!

"Who in the NBA is really equipped to handle this guy at his position in THE ASSOCIATION?"

NO ONE because he easily plays THREE positions...He has more size than any other point guard and none can stop him from going to the hole. he is bigger than most two guards and none can handle him one-on-one again because of his size and quickness which often requires double and triple teaming. Perhaps there are some small forwards that can give him fits who also are scorers and can go to the hole such as Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion and Tayshaun Prince, but the Cav/Piston series is proving that even though Tayshaun is one of the league's best defenders LeBron is just too much to handle.

Again, I make the comparison to not Michael Jordan, but Elgin Baylor. Why? Because Jordan was basically a two guard that ran off a lot of screens and was teamed with great defenders, scorers or rebounders such as Pippen, Rodman, Horace grant, Charles Oakley, and Bill Cartwright, but like Elgin, LeBorn is a scorer AND a strong Offensive rebounder. And his career and playoff numbers will approximate Baylor's if not exceed them in those TWO categories...not to mention assists..and blocks.

omowalejabali said:
Brother, remember a short while back when folks were clowning me in some threads when I said he was a more likely MVP candidate than Kobe?

Now King James is in a position getting ready to knock out the Pistons...and I'm cheering him on!...lol!!

"Who in the NBA is really equipped to handle this guy at his position in THE ASSOCIATION?"

NO ONE because he easily plays THREE positions...He has more size than any other point guard and none can stop him from going to the hole. he is bigger than most two guards and none can handle him one-on-one again because of his size and quickness which often requires double and triple teaming. Perhaps there are some small forwards that can give him fits who also are scorers and can go to the hole such as Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion and Tayshaun Prince, but the Cav/Piston series is proving that even though Tayshaun is one of the league's best defenders LeBron is just too much to handle.

Again, I make the comparison to not Michael Jordan, but Elgin Baylor. Why? Because Jordan was basically a two guard that ran off a lot of screens and was teamed with great defenders, scorers or rebounders such as Pippen, Rodman, Horace grant, Charles Oakley, and Bill Cartwright, but like Elgin, LeBorn is a scorer AND a strong Offensive rebounder. And his career and playoff numbers will approximate Baylor's if not exceed them in those TWO categories...not to mention assists..and blocks.

Oh, yeah, I thought Lebron was the MVP as well, because look at what he had to work with? He has single-handedly CARRIED that ballclub - though I must commend Cav's head coach, Mike Brown and his staff, for some masterful coaching... Steve Nash seems to have all-stars coming out of his ears in Phoenix... Stoudamire goes down, and Diaw is there to replace him... Kurt Thomas went down, and Tim Thomas came in to replace him... Joe Johnson left town, and Raja Bell and Barbosa came to the rescue... Cleveland's front office clearly has not provided the kind of personnel for Lebron that Nash had... Niether has it provided the personnel that Nowitzki had in Dallas, but Lebron finished a distant third in the MVP balloting... Ridiculous...

Brother O, Lebron is so clearly a one of a kind player that he will wipe out all comparisons to him once he is done - particularly is he is provided with the personnel to fully exploit his talents... Cleveland just might own the Larry O'brien trophy in the years to come... I wish the guy coulda actually played in the '80's so that we could see him up against the greatest players of the era... That woulda been something, wouldn't it...

Coach, you are right, but what do you do, turn down the $25-million per year contract Garnett was tendered 7 or 8 years ago??? It would be terrible if you turned down the money for the long-term goal of winning a championship that no team is guaranteed, and then you hurt yourself so that your value plummets... You must get all you can while you can, Coach, as selfish as that might sound... Athletic careers are short and hopefully sweet as far as the cash is concerned... Look at what happened to L.J.(Larry Johnson), or even Zo Mourning... They both got kidney ailments using pain killers, and had to get out of the game... Zo required a transplant, and is back playing again, but he is not himself... You got to get yours in that world, and then you get older, and you go to San Antonio or Detroit as a hired gun, when you no longer need the dough...(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back