Leaving the nest

panafrica said:
This is true! It also isn't the same leaving home 30 years ago as it is today. In today's time people normally don't make enough to support themselves until they are in their 20s (sometimes late 20s).
Really to have any kind of future they should be in their second year of college at twenty. But then there are a lot of companies that will pay for college if you show promise.

these are the reason i try to get my children set for life beyond home bound and plan
to move on and be set some what financially surely i'm not going to toss them out
before they really ready but i will uphold them to a major responsability

Kente

I left home when I was 19 and bounced around a bit...had to come back a few times, then leave again.

In this present time in America with the economy the way it is, it's hard to judge young people who for one reason or another must stay at home with their parent(s).

These times aren't like the 60's or 70's where you could run right out and get a job that will pay you enough to take care of yourself. It's hard to find a decent paying job out there now and plus many of our young people are mentally ill and can't properly take care of themselves.

Most young people who claim to be "out on thier own" are either shacking up with a lover or rooming with mates...they're not really on their own as far as independant living.

leaving home

Its all about Location-location-location. As a native of NYC it is nuts out here, the projects bases your rent on salary-so if an eighteen year old that takes the Cable gig (that in 18 months will slash its entry level workforce by 80%) makes say 28K NYCHA will hit him for about $450 a month, add an 18yr olds lifestyle in NYC, dude will be back home a bout a year after getting laid off. Apartments-where EVERYTHING works in NYC-close to a grand and thats not in Manhattan thats Brooklyn-and no not the White parts or regentrified areas and of course its shoebox with brick wall view. On a postal carrier income you are NEVER moving anywhere-as single person in NYC but if you get married maybe. But my pops and men like him provided well (but my moms always had a job) and beyond with just that job-in NYC in 05 even after say five years of savings you are either still home-not home but in another hood or just a few blocks from one.

To move out and STAY out one has to PAY for and LEARN a new skill, State schools are about 3 grand per semester (thats 12k a year x 4 which is $36, 000) and not everyone is getting scholarships (acedemic or sports). So by the time a dude gets in his sopomore year he has friends (cable dude) driving cars, copping jewlery, clubbin and in some rare cases moving out or in NYC the parents skip out of the jex and leave the apt in their name and the kids pay rent. So in either case 18yr old with a job he'll lose in 18 months or College dude there has to be a trade off &-you 're not paying for school by giving up a couple of minor things. You may have to trade in the car-or eggatz!!noo-noo it cant be -be happe-ning....MOVE BACK HOME.

Like I did-I went to school didnt like the firts one transferred out lost a lot of credits had to PAY to take them over againg and proceed, as for thse tuition re imbursemnet gigs a lot of the jobs that will pay for your tuition are corporate businesses looking for businees majors-I am not a buisness major, two as a resident of NYC the real estate market is nuts you have to make at least $40,000 to be on your OWN (no roomie or GF or BF) and you are still renting. Back in the day rent I suppose took maybe 20-25% of your income now its up to 35 and 40% and all of this is different for men and women.

I know women who left got pregnant got on welfare-period theres' no independence in that, some dudes took that "Good Job" and learned everything stopped clubbing learnd that in NYC to a Car is pointless if you dont have an aparment NOT in the PJ's to do that means maybe you should go say a couple of years with out new Timbs (so all you native NYC women need to stop makeing new TImbs for men or 25 a pre requsite)

But on the flip side some ladies I know went to school (got out of HS and College in three years for each) while some Dudes just drifted at his job until he got laid off. And ladies might not want to admit it but the broke dude saving to move out WILL never get the date TILL he does so-its the way things are. But it doesnt matter them "factory jobs" are soooooo long ago-you have to have some sort of PC/MAC technological capability and to get it cost money-moving out will have to wait.

Most young cats move away from home only to shack up with a lover or stay with friends and share the bills like I did when I first moved out.

But this isn't true independance and leaves you no bragging rights.

My idea of living on your own is living on YOUR OWN without the aid of others.

*Why is it that half the sistaz I know have the same story of being on thier own since 15?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back