Leaving the nest

I agree that people should move out when they can financially. The problem is there are a lot of people that can move out and don't because they don't want the responsibility of doing their own thing. There is a comfort to living under someone else's roof. You don't have to worry about paying bills and cleaning the whole house and maintaning the appearance of the place. There's so much that needs to be experienced before you can appreciate it. Paying your own bills, shopping for your own food, cleaning and decorating your own way. Doing all of this with your own money and hard work. That's the important part to me. That feeling of having your own. Some people don't want to experience that, and to me that's sad if you're not even trying to move in that direction. I know people that aren't even close to moving out and they are older than me. I know that there are reasons why SOME people have to stay a little longer and may have to move back for a couple of months, but a lot of it is just laziness. I think for the most part...men and women need to have their mind set on moving out at about 23 or 24 at the latest. At least try. Even with a roommate you still have to pay your own way and do you share of cleaning and bill paying. There is a sense of independance that goes along wth it. I've done both...lived on my own and lived with a roommate. Both build character and are nothing like living with your parents.

HODEE said:
I had my first job at thirteen. Moved out when I was seventeen. Left the state I was born in at twenty four.

The strings should be cut a little everyday. Let them pick up after themselves. Teach them to wash dishes, wash clothes, and how to use a wash house. Take a few blankets and a load or two to the wash house, lie and say the blankets won't fit into your machine at home. Show them the inside of their facility. Teach them all how to cook, because you don't want them running home for your food. Create a bank account for hem now. Both of mine have accounts and I encourage them to save. I don't want them returning. I am on vacation. No one is home.

My mother said the best way is when they all move out, move to a adult only home complex.

She raised nine of us. We helped, buy the home we had, and we all worked and kept things running, so it wasn't on her to run behind a bunch of grown lazy adults.

" Why is it easier for women to live at home than it is for men? It seems like women can do it until they get good and ready, but men are basically forced to leave once they hit 20 or so....why is that? "

Girls get the extra time to stay at home, why be hard on such a sweet young lady.

I'm not going to rush my daughter out, but my son has to the age of eighteen to let me know his plans.

If he is doing well in college then I will grant him a few months of working after he graduates.

" Why are there so many women that stay in their parent's house....and at the same time refuse to date a man without his own place? "

Well taking her to a motel is not the fanciest plan. ( load a boom box, so you can play some Luther, in motel six ) ha.. ha.. ha..

Plus it shows you have your act together and can handle and provide for yourself and possibly another. Marriage is on her mind. It may not be forefront. But it's there. You are measured everytime.

Haven't you ever seen the tape? It's seven feet long, many don't measure up, so sooner or later she will settle for five feet four.

When they were both small I placed them at the threshold and pushed them out. Slammed the door and told them we were practicing for the day they turned eighteen.
Props to you and your mom, Hodee.

Parents have to introduce their kids to independence and make home a place thay don't want to be when they should be on their own. Too many parents wring their hands wondering when their thirty year old is going to decide to strike out on their own. That's a decision the parents should have made a long long time ago.

$$RICH$$ said:
so what i see it's good to leave home after 20 but before 26
don't rush but be financially set to meet the world and the cost of living
Right. And you don't just wake up one morning financially ready to move out (unless you play the lotto and get lucky). Hafta plan early.

river said:
Right. And you don't just wake up one morning financially ready to move out (unless you play the lotto and get lucky). Hafta plan early.

This is true! It also isn't the same leaving home 30 years ago as it is today. In today's time people normally don't make enough to support themselves until they are in their 20s (sometimes late 20s).

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back